Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
How do you make french fries?
1  2  Next

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 11:22 pm
I've never made french fries before and I'd like your tips please. The healthier the better, but I don't want them to taste dried out. Thanks!

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 11:24 pm
there are many ways.

I like to bake the potatoes first, then lightly fry. you could also spray with oil and bake. you can fry raw potatoes, but if they're cooked or baked before they're softer in the middle.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 11:29 pm
I buy the shoestring fries and put on a cookie sheet, sprinkle salt and paprika, and bake on 425 for half hour. It's healthy and crispy.

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 11:35 pm
I was thinking of making from raw potatoes, figured they'd be healthier than the frozen ones. Is that true?

Mummiedearest, good tip. How long do you bake it for?

flowerpower

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 11:37 pm
I also take regular and sweet potatoes and cut them like fries or cubed, mix with a little oil, salt, and paprika, and bake on 450 for like an hour-so crispy and good!

Strawberry

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 7:59 am
I peel and cut raw potatoes into thin strips. Then I put the fries in a pan, making sure not to overlap the fries so that they cook evenly. I drizzle olive oil and then spice with salt and garlic powder. Put in the oven and bake until crispy. Yum!

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 8:49 am
HAPPYMOMMY wrote:
I was thinking of making from raw potatoes, figured they'd be healthier than the frozen ones. Is that true?

Mummiedearest, good tip. How long do you bake it for?

for all of you who buy the frozen, they're already fried. so they're not a health food option.

the potatoes themselves should be fully baked, so about forty-five minutes. once they're cut up and sprayed, only until golden brown.

greentiger

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 9:11 am
Try expermenting with spices. Yum.

greeneyes

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 11:15 am
These are amazing! I think the trick of soaking the potatoes in ice water is what makes them really good.

No Fry Fries (from MealLeaniYumm by Norene Gilletz)

6 baking potatoes (I just used 2 potatoes)
1 T. canola or olive oil
1 egg white
salt & pepper to taste
basil, cayenne pepper, paprika & or garlic powder to taste (I used paprika, garlic powder, & just a teeny bit of cayenne pepper)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Peel potatoes & cut into 1/4 inch strips. (If you have time, first soak them in ice water for 20-30 minutes for crispier fries. Drain well; pat dry.) In a medium size bowl, beat oil with egg white until frothy.

Coat potatoes with oil/egg mixture. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet sprayed with pam. Sprinkle with seasonings. Bake in lower third of the oven for 35-45 minutes until brown and crispy, stirring occasionally. I sprayed the fries with extra pam during baking cuz they seemed a little dry. Serve immediately.

sv9506

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 12:39 pm
Greeneyes - Is that spinach? Can you post the recipe please?

Fabulous

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 12:44 pm
YUMMM!!

Greeneyes can you post the recipes for the whole plate? It looks so professional and delicious.

Btw, I didn't end up making you salmon because I couldn't find balsamic vinegar and I didn't want to buy just for one dish. Thanks anyway but I made my same old, same old.

sarahnurit

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 2:31 pm
Do you have a deep fryer? That way they would fry perfectly without getting soaked with oil... Wink

greeneyes

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 6:03 pm
Ok, here are the other 2 recipes:

Stir Fry Spinach with Garlic

1 bag baby spinach
2 -3 T. slivered almonds or pine nuts
1 T. olive oil
1 medium onion (or 2 shallots), sliced
1/2 red pepper, seeded and sliced
2-3 cloves garlic (about 1 T. minced)
1 T. lemon juice (preferably fresh)
salt & pepper

1. Wash the spinach, dry well, and set aside.

2. Heat a nonstick wok or large skillet over medium heat. Add the nuts and dry-roast them for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently. Remove from the pan and set aside.

3. Add the oil in the wok and increase the heat to medium high. Add the onion and red pepper; stir fry for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and spinach (you may have to add the spinach in batches) and stir fry for about 2 to 3 minutes or until spinach has wilted and all the liquid has evaporated. Season with lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Garnish with reserved nuts and serve immediately.

(from Norene's Healthy Kitchen)

Chicken fingers:

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat
1 cup cornflake crumbs
1/4 cup sesame seeds
salt, pepper, & paprika to taste
1/4 c. honey
2 tsp. orange juice
1/4 c. ketchup or chili sauce

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Rinse chicken; pat dry. Cut into strips about 1 inch wide. Combine crumbs, sesame seeds & seasonings in a bowl or plate. In another bowl, mix honey, juice, and ketchup. Dip chicken into honey mixture & then coat in crumb mixture. (I find that I always need more crumb mixture than the recipe calls for) Arrange chicken in a single layer on a baking sheet sprayed with pam.

2. Bake chicken for 7-8 minutes. Turn over & bake 7-8 minutes longer until crisp and golden, making sure not to overbake the chicken. (I like to spray the chicken with extra pam during baking, makes it more crispy.) Best served immediately. Use any of the following as a dipping sauce: honey, chili sauce, ketchup, plum sauce or cherry sauce.

(from MealLeaniYumm by Norene Gilletz)

There's no recipe for the steamed veggies. Just wash, slice, and steam. I treated myself to an electric steamer which I absolutely love. It's a great investment if you like lots of steamed vegetables, since the vegetables come out perfectly.

Fabulous, I was wondering whether you ended up making the salmon in the end. Smile

wanderer

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 8:48 pm
I made Spicy Sweet Potato Fries these tonight. Delicious!

octopus

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 8:50 pm
I slice fresh raw potatoes the long way (cut in half the long way, then cut that in half the long way, then cut again).

Spray bottom of pan with olive oil spray (lightly). Put fries in. Try not to layer. Doing it on a long pan is the best. Spray (lightly) fries. Cover. (this is the key for softness). bake on 450 for an hour. yum! You can add salt and pepper if you like.

supermama2

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 9:11 pm
wowowow...greeneyes! That is a beautiful plate! You have the portions right too! 2 veggie 1 carb 1 meat..Wow, a big pat on the back to you.. yumm If I made this dish, DH would jump for joy lol

supermama2

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 9:13 pm
mouth....watering... LOL

greeneyes

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 9:41 pm
embarrassed Thanks, SarahO.

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 9:55 pm
Thanks everyone for replying.

Greeneyes, I was skeptical about that recipe with the egg white, but when I saw your plate it blew me away!

I made it twice today. Once for my kids (they eat early around 4:00) and once for dh (eats about 8:00) because I wanted it to be fresh. They were perfect. Soft inside and crispy on the outside. I think soaking in the cold water did make a difference because I soaked the second batch and they were much crispier. I also used less egg white on the second batch because I used only 2 potatoes. In my first batch I used one sweet potato which tasted great too.

Oh, I wanted to mention that dh is not a fan of baked food which is "supposed" to be fried. He likes french fries, chicken cutlets.... the "original" fried way. I try to incorporate the healthier version when I can and he actually admitted that these fries came very close to real fried fries!

micki

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 10:37 pm
cut up potatos make a mix of spices and flour. shake potatos in a bag with mixture bake or fry
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics