Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How to entertain Bais Faiga kids while they don't have schoo
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 1:08 am
Does anyone have any ideas on how to entertain the girls that are home now without school? Do you try to teach them or just let them have fun and forget learning for a week or two?

SuperMama

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 1:15 am

Last edited by SuperMama on Thu, Dec 11 2008, 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tamiri

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 1:24 am
Find a new school....

amother

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 1:37 am
In Lakewood it's not so easy. Do you want to find a new school that is willing to accept 1500 kids that have no school?

justanothermother

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 2:37 am
I heard that some teachers are coming to homes to teach in small groups. Also day trips and camps were being arranged.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 2:50 am
What happened?

justanothermother

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 4:44 am
Here's a small snip from an article explaining situation.

But because of late payments to teachers and staff, Lakewood's local rabbinical authority has sided with the teachers' body in backing them up as they currently strike.

The strike developed after the mehaheless, together with teachers, claimed that they approached the Lakewood Beis Din led by Rabbi Forscheimer for guidance, and that the Beis Din—with the direct guidance of Reb Shmuel Kamenetsky—decided to call the current strike to protest the non-payment of the already-meager salaries to the teachers.
Advertisement:

This past Friday, letters were send home by teachers to parents explaining their decision. The letter stated that since the teachers have not been paid recently, and because of a shortage in supplies, they now feel that there is no other option for their part other a cessation of teaching until the matter between the administration and the menahelless is resolved once and for all.

As it stands now, about 1,800 girls from the Bais Faiga Elementary School are staying home until further notice.

The situation in the boys' school is also tense, but as of now there is no strike there.

grin

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 4:52 am
justanothermother wrote:
Here's a small snip from an article explaining situation.

But because of late payments to teachers and staff, Lakewood's local rabbinical authority has sided with the teachers' body in backing them up as they currently strike.

The strike developed after the mehaheless, together with teachers, claimed that they approached the Lakewood Beis Din led by Rabbi Forscheimer for guidance, and that the Beis Din—with the direct guidance of Reb Shmuel Kamenetsky—decided to call the current strike to protest the non-payment of the already-meager salaries to the teachers.
Advertisement:

This past Friday, letters were send home by teachers to parents explaining their decision. The letter stated that since the teachers have not been paid recently, and because of a shortage in supplies, they now feel that there is no other option for their part other a cessation of teaching until the matter between the administration and the menahelless is resolved once and for all.

As it stands now, about 1,800 girls from the Bais Faiga Elementary School are staying home until further notice.

The situation in the boys' school is also tense, but as of now there is no strike there.

shock pardon my ignorance, but don't they charge tuition like everyone else?

(For now, I would suggest trying to structure their day to include davening, some studysheets - there are sources for this online, or you can have an older child make one up for a younger one, so they both learn - and creative play, besides free time, similar to what I did with mine during the Gulf War here, when there was no school for 2 weeks.)

amother

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 8:45 am
Tuition in Bais Faiga is very cheap. If your learning it's only $3,000 a year and each additional child is a reduced rate. It's suppose to be the community school but lately you can only get in if your an alumni or your dh learns or you have pull. The school can't survive on tuition alone. The boys school if you are learning is like $3300 a year. That's why people are siding with the administrator because he allows cheap tuition. The principal wants to put someone else in who will raise tuition. So everyone is saying get rid of him but then tuition gets raised and pple don't want that.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 8:50 am
Do they have any workbooks from school? Maybe they should do some or at least look it over. I think they should spend at least an hour, even if not straight, doing school work. About 1/2 with hebrew studies and 1/2 with english studies. You don't want their minds to turn to mush Wink .

sky

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 10:14 am
Bais Faiga also has a chasana hall that that is booked every night.

What about having clubs. Have friends come over and switch homes. Do stuff like baking and crafts. Keep a normal schedule.

SingALong

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 10:40 am
there are many working parents in bais faiga, and $3000 a year tuition is what most lakewood schools charge. give or take a few hundred but tis not like bais fayge is all that cheaper than all other schools.

the issue is mostly political. menaheles and administrator dont get along and ppl want him out. he also kept the school afloat by taking out loans and now he wants to use the tuition money to pay bakc those loans...it gets complicated.

I heard that cheder rabbeim also havent gotten paid for a few months.

most girls I see out shopping with their moms. the mothers cant be busy teaching their kids all day they need to manage their homes, (clean, cook, organize) and many moms work so what are they supposed to do miss work for a week? its a really sad situation cuz I think that the kids and mothers are being punished for other ppl's issues.

Atali

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 10:52 am
So what are the working mothers doing?

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 11:18 am
$3000 a year is considered cheap??? My son's preschool tuition is $2200 a year, besides for transportation, registration, and building fund. And I didnt think THAT was cheap!

Fabulous

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 11:21 am
Mama Bear wrote:
$3000 a year is considered cheap??? My son's preschool tuition is $2200 a year, besides for transportation, registration, and building fund. And I didnt think THAT was cheap!

Unfortunately that is cheap! I know people sending to chassidish schools (which tend to be a bit cheaper than BY type) that pay $4000 per kid in preschool and that's with a discount already. Without a discount it's closer to $5000 or more. My sister paid over $6000 for a BY type school just for nursery.

Atali

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 11:22 am
Mama Bear wrote:

Umm that is very, very, very cheap. I pay $3500 for my DS and that is considered cheap in my area. Normal tuition here (for elementary) runs at about $7-$8k (I think).

Out of curiosity, I checked the website of the high school I went to (Modern Litvish girls school) and they now charge $16,000 a year for tuition. shock

Mrs. XYZ

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 11:22 am
Mama Bear wrote:

Nothing compares to the real chassidishe schools.
3000 is considered cheap according to most other schools which run up to 10,000.

small bean

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 11:45 am
it is politics and has nothing to do with money. that's what is a result. bais faiga has the money but due to politics is not paying.....

crbc

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 12:08 pm
My friend's two dds are home, she works in Bais Faiga, but not as a teacher, so she has time off. She pays tuition on time, and thinks the situation is horrible. Worse off than her, are people who pay tuition, work full time, and now have to pay babysittors to watch their children. OTOH, tuition of 3K would be a dream for us, we pay 9K for ds (3rd gr.) and 7K for dd (2nd gr.) and 7.5K for dd (full day daycare) in Brooklyn - but at least our schools are not striking Very Happy , and we are K'H happy with them.

manhattanmom

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 12:18 pm
small bean wrote:
it is politics and has nothing to do with money. that's what is a result. bais faiga has the money but due to politics is not paying.....

I'm afraid to ask why the teachers aren't getting paid due to politics! that seems a bit extreme. Also, I'd imagine that many of the teachers are relying on a paycheck from their jobs as the primary income in their families. Wow!

I'm sure it's a difficult situation for all students and parents.

Are there enough stay at home mothers who could arrange learning groups--say getting a few girls together and learning parsha, chumash and review math, and science, etc.... Keep a structured setup and get your kids out of the house for at least an hour a day socializing...
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children