Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
You say hello .....
1  2  Next

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Dec 12 2008, 3:13 pm
Let me preface this by saying that my eyesight is not what it used to be...and that it was Friday, in the height of the Mumbai tragedy.

As I was walking down the street, I thought I saw someone I knew. I, very jovially, said Hello/how are you! to her. She gave me a "look", squinched up her whole face, and replied, Do I know you? (As it turns out, no she didn't.)

Does that mean no Hello back?

Anyone ?

yo'ma

Post Fri, Dec 12 2008, 3:29 pm
I always respond with a hello, but usually in a question form.

Chocoholic

Post Fri, Dec 12 2008, 4:07 pm
I often greet strangers in the street.

When a stranger greets me, I friendly greet back.

anonymom

Post Fri, Dec 12 2008, 4:17 pm
She was rude.

People often confuse me with my sister. So I just say hello back even though I dont know them, but in a reserved way, but I try not to make them feel dumb.

lubaussie

Post Sat, Dec 13 2008, 6:50 am
She could have said "hello" and then said "do I know you?" On the other hand, once I was too polite and had a whole 45 minute conversation with somebody who thought I was someone else entirely! She didn't even realise until the end when she asked me a question and I'm like "umm no" and she's like "wait, are you ___" and I smiled and said "no!" LOL

Ruchel

Post Sat, Dec 13 2008, 12:59 pm
wow you're back!!!

Raisin

Post Sat, Dec 13 2008, 1:28 pm
hello chocolate moose! (waving)

zissy2004

Post Sat, Dec 13 2008, 1:46 pm
CM, I saw your name and I was sure its a thread from a while back! so...
welcome back!!

freidasima

Post Sat, Dec 13 2008, 2:09 pm
1) Welcome back!
2)She was rude
3) I can understand that if a wierd looking person or a member of the opposite gender suddenly says hello and you don't know them...you don't want to answer but a nice normal looking chocolate moose like you?!

sarahnurit

Post Sat, Dec 13 2008, 3:58 pm
I would say that she was a little...well, not the best show of derecheretz. No reason not to say hello unless there are other problems going on!

And, yes, HELLO cm! Wellcome back!

Raisin

Post Sat, Dec 13 2008, 4:01 pm
yes, it's rude. If that happens to me I smile and say, hi, I don't know you. Maybe I would try and find out who she thinks I am - perhaps it is my sister or something.

Tamiri

Post Sat, Dec 13 2008, 4:11 pm
If a Chocolate Moose approached me in the street and said Hi to me, I would faint. I guess that could be considered rude.

Ima'la

Post Sat, Dec 13 2008, 4:28 pm
Welcome back, CM! Actually, when I saw this post, I scrunched up my face and squinted at the date & time of posting, then at your sn to see if it's really you or someone new with a similar sn, and then at your new avatar - I like it!

Am I the only insecure person here who would assume I'm probably supposed to know the person, but oh-no-who-on-earth-can-that-be, so I'd say hello and try to play along as best as I can?

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Dec 13 2008, 6:47 pm
Truthfully, I didn't know her and if I had seen her closer up, I would not have greeted her. However, once I had said hello, I didn't expect the third degree.

No good deed goes unpunished...

octopus

Post Sat, Dec 13 2008, 6:49 pm
whenever someone says hello to me, I say hello back. If I don't know the person, I just assume they mixed me up with someone else, and say hello anyway. I always try to smile at the other Jewish ladies whenever I pass by.

Tefila

Post Sat, Dec 13 2008, 8:42 pm
Neh she wasn't rude just clueless, sadly there are lots nowadays who don't know the meaning or the existance of a greeting.

greenfire

Post Sat, Dec 13 2008, 8:52 pm
hello first & then the question ... can you remind me where I know you from ... I blame it on my senility ... lol Scratching Head

now once a girl of about 10 was running towards her "aunty" whom I realized she thought I was - so I opened my arms as well and ran towards her in the same manner - oops she was a tad embarrassed but at least I reciprocated ... we all had a little chuckle ...

hello chocolate moose !!!

OOTBubby

Post Sat, Dec 13 2008, 9:07 pm
In the large, out-of-town city in which I live, it is common place to greet everyone you meet, particularly saying "Good Shabbos" or "Good Yom Tov".

In fact, one of my most memorable experiences as I was just becoming frum (over 37 years ago) was while I was walking on a main street in our city on Shabbos with a friend, noticing 2 older ladies passing and saying Good Shabbos to them.

One of them stopped us, and in a very friendly (not accusingly) way asked if she knew is, and promptly introduced herself to us a Rebetzin XY (well known name on our city). She asked our names and began a pleasant game of Jewish geography where it turned out she knew much of my friend's family. Her whole manner was so warm and friendly that I always remembered it and was thrilled when I met her (and got to know her well) shortly after my marriage a few years later.

Here we know that those that don't greet others on the street on Shabbos and Yom Tov are the "out of towners"!

GAMZu

Post Sat, Dec 13 2008, 10:19 pm
Green, you are funny!

mama-star

Post Sat, Dec 13 2008, 10:31 pm
Tamiri wrote:
If a Chocolate Moose approached me in the street and said Hi to me, I would faint. I guess that could be considered rude.

wow, you're a better woman than me. if a chocolate moose approached me on the street, I'd probably eat it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette