Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Alexander the Great

ClaRivka

Post Sat, Dec 13 2008, 4:14 pm
Just a curious question I developed over shabbes and now cant get out of my head....

I kno that in the times of Alexander the Great we named our sons after him to show our appreciation to him for not slaughtering us all upon his arrival to EY....but...why do we continue to name our children that? It's not like he's around to appreciate it now....

Raisin

Post Sat, Dec 13 2008, 4:24 pm
ClaRivka wrote:
Just a curious question I developed over shabbes and now cant get out of my head....

I kno that in the times of Alexander the Great we named our sons after him to show our appreciation to him for not slaughtering us all upon his arrival to EY....but...why do we continue to name our children that? It's not like he's around to appreciate it now....

probably people are naming after deceased relatives with that name, who were named after relatives etc all the way back 2000 years.

ClaRivka

Post Sat, Dec 13 2008, 4:35 pm
ok, but what abt ppl who name there sons that and have no clue abt deceased relatives with that name?

Raisin

Post Sat, Dec 13 2008, 4:42 pm
ClaRivka wrote:
ok, but what abt ppl who name there sons that and have no clue abt deceased relatives with that name?

they probably like the name. I don't know why else. maybe they want their son to grow up and conquer the world? Someone I know has that name, his mother was stuck for a name, opened a phone book, saw Alexander, and decided on that.

it's not really that common a name among frum people. Sender is a form of alexander, but I don't know that many.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics