Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Adults with picture yarmulkes
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Jan 25 2006, 1:17 pm
Just curious as to why men wear yarmulkes with pictures, puffy paint, ect. (Please don't take offense from this question.)

amother

Post Wed, Jan 25 2006, 1:18 pm
I think picture yamulkas are for kids only. When I see adults wearing them I feel embarressed for them. I would never let my Dh wear them.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 25 2006, 2:57 pm
In Lubavitch men wear them too.

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Jan 25 2006, 3:02 pm
Depends who. I would say most don't. but then I didn't take a poll.

The Rebbe wore a plain black yarmulke, and the average Chossid is trying to emulate the Rebbe.

Tovah

Post Wed, Jan 25 2006, 3:31 pm
sara yehudis many bochrim wear them and most married men don't but their are a few that do. I think it's abit silly myself too.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 25 2006, 3:37 pm
I think it also depends on the situation. my dh usually wears a plain black yarmulka. however, we are on shlichus and when doing particular programs with kids, he'll sometimes put on a colored yarmulka that's appropriate for that time.

as far as wearing it all the time, I agree that it is childish, but I guess those who wear it disagree.

Tefila

Post Wed, Jan 25 2006, 3:54 pm
LOL Depends if it has a choo choo train , Alef bet on it or just a design 8)
I think it's fun and shows there's a little boy in every man. Smile

If I were a man I would wear them oh yea Very Happy

shopaholic

Post Wed, Jan 25 2006, 4:16 pm
Some guys look ok in them, but Dh looks ridiculous! BH he thinks so too, so we let our son stick with the picture ones.

imaamy

Post Wed, Jan 25 2006, 7:21 pm
What I think is silly is when it is made to look like a baseball, basketball, etc. Not too dignified!

BlumaG

Post Wed, Jan 25 2006, 9:40 pm
my husband always only ever wore plain black velvet but my dad used ot wear kiddy yarmulkas, my bro is married and still does, I like it, my hubby said he would wear like black stitch design on black but they dont lye on his head as nicely

uandme

Post Wed, Jan 25 2006, 10:11 pm
when I read the topic, I actually gave a small chuckle at the thought. shows you my opinion.
though knit yarmulkes can have designs and don't seem silly!!

micki

Post Thu, Jan 26 2006, 11:13 am
think men have so limited options of expressing their fashion sense! I think its cute.
I made my hubby a yarmulke with the logo of his work on it plus some items that are pretty amusing (cna't tell what or you'll know what he does and it'll give me away)
he wears it at work.
I made my brother a bob the builder one- he wears it on the job!

Motek

Post Thu, Jan 26 2006, 11:17 am
I think they are appropriate for children under bar mitzva and for Purim.

otherwise ...

when knitted or otherwise - the purpose of a yarmulka (yarei malka) is to demonstrate fear of heaven, to remember that Hashem is above you

to me, cutsie yarmulkas take away from that message

chen

Post Thu, Jan 26 2006, 11:57 am
An attractive design is just hiddur mitzvah, IMO--no different from an embellished kiddush cup or fancy atarah on a tallis. OTOH, political slogans, corporate or "designer" logos, sports motifs and other cutesy designs are something of a desecration in my eyes. I see nothing wrong with flowers, leaves, geometric patterns, and Jewish motifs of the sort that adorn Torah mantles, shaarblatts, bechers, menorahs, challah decklach, tallis and tefillin bags and every other type of klei kodesh.

Kiddie designs like choo-choo trains pulling aleph-bet cars? For the preschool set, sure. Disney characters? IX-NAY!

red sea

Post Thu, Jan 26 2006, 12:13 pm
it is just the same men who wear childlike ties, these guys need a place to express themselves I suppose at a cost to a lot of peoples fashion sense. I feel that any non jewish theme on a yarmulka or tzitzis even for a child, is a sort of disgracing of a mitzvah with anti holiness so to speak, but I could see a place for it possibly in kiruv.

goldrose

Post Thu, Jan 26 2006, 12:45 pm
Quote:
these guys need a place to express themselves

I remember hearing (a joke?) about a guy who had written on his yarmulka "advertising space available"

zigi

Post Thu, Jan 26 2006, 1:20 pm
I agree with no designs on the yamulke past barmitzvah age. but I do like the way kipa sruga looks, I guess because its part of the yalmuke and its also not a cutsy design but a nice pattern. btw my husband only wears black velvet.

shopaholic

Post Sat, Jan 28 2006, 7:47 pm
I like that idea - Micki. My husband is starting his own company & I'm gonna help him design his logo. Maybe I should make him a yarmulka with his logo - wonder if he'll go for it.

happymom

Post Sat, Jan 28 2006, 7:55 pm
[quote]to me, cutsie yarmulkas take away from that message
Quote:

I dont see how. the point is that their head is covered. I dont think its matters what design is on it.

happymom

Post Sat, Jan 28 2006, 7:55 pm
[quote]to me, cutsie yarmulkas take away from that message[quote]

I dont see how. the point is that their head is covered. I dont think its matters what design is on it
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics