Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Can you spice up my spice cabinet??
Previous  1  2

grin

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 2:58 pm
coriander - I use it on chicken.

ihyphenated

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 1:10 pm
if you ever go to fairway in manhattan (74th street or 131th street) they have a whole WALL of spices and spice blends with hechsherim.. wasabi, dried dill, lemonpepper, 3 different kinds of curry powder, peppers of all varieties, nutmeg, cloves, star anise, chinese 5 spice powder, fennel seed, hawaiian red volcanic salt,
(can you tell I have an unhealthy spice obsession!?!?!? I have more spice bottles in my kitchen than pots and pans!!)

Maya

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 1:22 pm
I just discovered Cajun spice. When I'm in a rush, I just cover a chicken leg with it and broil it. It's spicy and delicious.

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 1:32 pm
mummiedearest wrote:

greenfire, if you plan on going to scarborough fair anytime soon, I'd appreciate if you picked up one of each spice on your list. I could really use some more spices. and a cambric shirt, of course.

I got mine at marc's deep discount ... and whole foods ... where on earth is scarborough (other than the song lyrics) ... you hippie you ... I can date you Wink

meirav

Post Sun, Dec 28 2008, 4:44 am
If you're in Israel, you can buy just 50 grams of a spice in a pitzuchim store, and then if you like it, buy more. The spices are also fresher from there.

I was also like you, and all I had was paprika, black pepper and cinnamon. First, I was daring and tried garlic powder and onion powder - don't laugh, but to me it was daring.

Here are some easy spices for people who are scared of new ones:

Basil - delicious in pizza sauces, or pasta with sauces, or just sautee onions, garlic and colorful peppers and add salt and basil for an easy side dish.
Ginger - try gingersnaps! They are strong, but yum!
Cumin - delicious in rice and in chulent - tastes felafely and isn't too strong

Let me know when you're on to stage two, and I'll tell you what else I got!!

TheBeinoni

Post Sun, Dec 28 2008, 4:48 am
Allspice - like cloves, makes you think of besamim. Used a lot in Syrian cooking and with tomato paste/sauce (gives an exotic edge to the tomato flavor).

Cardamom - not exactly sure how to describe this one, I use it mixed with cumin, tumeric, paprika, etc. It is the flavor you taste in some turkish coffees.

Raisin

Post Sun, Dec 28 2008, 6:21 am
thyme - I don't use this since both me and dh think it makes things taste of mould. But others must like it, since it is sold.

rosemary is yummy with roast potatoes, or put it in schnitzle coating. fresh is nice but dried also works.

Also if you like making pizza and pasta sauces get a jar or italian herb seasoning. Its oregano, basil etc all together. nothing tastes as good as fresh basil though, but the jar keeps good in your cupboard for a while.

cumin and coriander (powder, not leaves) - also yummy.

greeenfire and mummiedearest - scarborough is a seaside resort in Yorkshire, the north of england.

mo5

Post Sun, Dec 28 2008, 6:52 am
Parsley, and for fresh can be easily grown in a pot or in a small spot in a yard.

shanie5

Post Sun, Dec 28 2008, 10:58 am
not a spice, but my dd cant live w/o duck sauce-on chicken, in chulent, with rice.......

beth

Post Sun, Dec 28 2008, 1:34 pm
pereg at machane yehuda shuk is amazing

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 28 2008, 1:43 pm
Raisin wrote:

greeenfire and mummiedearest - scarborough is a seaside resort in Yorkshire, the north of england.

I guess it's off to england we go ... shall we visit you or the queen along the way ... Wink

hinenimuchan

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 8:25 am
Oregano OR Marjaram OR Basil is a MUST (they are interchangeable)
thyme (great with tomatoes and garlic on chicken, and on vegetables)
dill
ginger and tamari sauce for asian flavor
rosemary for potatoes and chicken
turmeric

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 9:56 am
hinenimuchan wrote:
Oregano OR Marjaram OR Basil is a MUST (they are interchangeable)
thyme (great with tomatoes and garlic on chicken, and on vegetables)
dill
ginger and tamari sauce for asian flavor
rosemary for potatoes and chicken
turmeric

Basil is not interchangeable with oregano and marjoram.

For some, oregano and marjoram are not interchangeable either. They have different tastes, but it is a subtle difference. In some middle eastern countries they are synonyms for each other.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 9:58 am
Most spices are definitely not interchangeable Smile I love my huge spice collection. When I decide to try a new recipe that has spices I don't own, I go right out and buy them- it's a great way to build up.

spring13

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 10:27 am
Try a few spice blends also - Montreal steak seasoning, chai spice or Chinese 5 spice, lemon pepper, Cajun or Old Bay, hawaij (either for soup or coffee). Emeril makes some really good ones for chicken.

I've made roast chicken with fresh parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme. I called it Scarborough Faire chicken and it was AWESOME.

2gether

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 11:59 am
Herbs in Israel need a Hechsher!
Skip the checking,there's trumas,maasar,shmita,etc.!

Dina_B613

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 12:07 pm
Basic Spice Checklist
Every cook needs a well-stocked spice cabinet, regardless of culinary expertise. Here are the most commonly used herbs, spices, and seasonings, which no kitchen should be without.

http://www.realsimple.com/food.....klist

Dina_B613

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 12:08 pm
How to Supercharge Spices
Think the key to three-alarm chili (or any other flavor-packed dish) is dumping in tons of spices? Not so. It’s actually all about timing—and earlier is generally better. When spices are heated directly in oil right at the beginning of the cooking process (while you sauté, say, onion and garlic), they “bloom,” becoming toasty and richer tasting. If you wait to add the spices until just before the dish is done, they won’t release their powerful flavors—meaning your chili will be bland or bitter, rather than full of fire.

http://www.realsimple.com/food.....pices

ElTam

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 12:24 pm
I use cumin, curry powder, smoked paprika, chili powder and chinese five-spice on a regular basis.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics