Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
No fail potato kugel
Previous  1  2

Mevater

Post Sat, Oct 31 2015, 5:47 pm
I need a Kugel issue detective. I follow the same recipe (same thing with different recipes, no matter the recipe) and sometimes its excellent and sometimes so-so. Sometimes my kugel is the best Kugel I ever tasted, and sometimes its just ok, after using the same recipe.

I tried the KBD recipe this Friday with half Yukon Gold potatoes and half Idaho, and it was so-so.

My chronic issue is my potato kugel separating into a tougher texture on top, and a mushier texture on bottom. Maybe my oven is the problem.

sourstix

Post Sat, Oct 31 2015, 6:21 pm
no that is so normal. thats the nature of how it goes, the mushy and tough.
my recipe have been making this for over 10 yrs.
6 idaho loose potatoes(do not use the bag its different size)
1 large onion
5 eggs
salt to taste
put in eggs in food process with the famous kugel blade
put in onions and potatoes
then put in salt as needed . I ususally add and taste, yes I taste. I have no measurement. and guess what no oil. I put it on 400 degrees. and just leave it there till it turns a nice golden brown. somewhere about one and half hours to two. if the potatoes are slightly bigger then put another egg. I have gotten used to knowing whats a big potatoe and whats a regular size. that you will learn with time. and when you see the kugel is a little dry you will know that those potatoes were bigger and next time just add a egg. I also find it needs to get done quickly and straight into a hot oven. then it doesnt get brown. also a convection oven makes a difference too. I spray the pan with regular pam and it doesnt need to go in the oven before to prevent sticking. good luck! enjoy

Mevater

Post Sat, Oct 31 2015, 6:31 pm
sourstix wrote:
no that is so normal. thats the nature of how it goes, the mushy and tough.
my recipe have been making this for over 10 yrs.
6 idaho loose potatoes(do not use the bag its different size)
1 large onion
5 eggs
salt to taste
put in eggs in food process with the famous kugel blade
put in onions and potatoes
then put in salt as needed . I ususally add and taste, yes I taste. I have no measurement. and guess what no oil. I put it on 400 degrees. and just leave it there till it turns a nice golden brown. somewhere about one and half hours to two.....

Thanks!

Some questions:

1- When you say "Kugel blade", you mean the "S" blade? You certainly cant mix eggs with either of the grating blades.

2- 6 potatoes, etc in what size tin?

3- 400 degrees for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, for a 6 potato kugel? Isnt that a little long baking for a not so big kugel?

4- What position in the oven, lower third, upper third, center? I find the kugel is less likely to change colors when I start the baking in the upper third of the oven, and lower the position later, but maybe thats why I get 2 textures, harder on top, mushy on bottom, because the bottom doesnt bake enough.

sourstix

Post Sat, Oct 31 2015, 6:46 pm
[quote="Mevater"]Thanks!

Some questions:

1- When you say "Kugel blade", you mean the "S" blade? You certainly cant mix eggs with either of the grating blades.

2- 6 potatoes, etc in what size tin?

3- 400 degrees for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, for a 6 potato kugel? Isnt that a little long baking for a not so big kugel?

4- What position in the oven, lower third, upper third, center? I find the kugel is less likely to change colors when I start the baking in the upper third of the oven, and lower the position later, but maybe thats why I get 2 textures, harder on top, mushy on bottom, because the bottom doesnt bake enough.[/quote]
there is a specific blade thats a kugel blade. I dont know for sure if its the s blade. but it sure has the shape of s. now yes I put in eggs into bowl of food processer. yes its that easy! and the eggs mix together with pottatoes and onions. its kill two birds at once. I love it!
I use the kugel pan that they sell in stores. its deaper then the regular one. and I put in on second rack from bottom. if you put it too high of course its not gonna be good. I thought it was self understood. im sorry. no its not too long at all. if you want I can measure the pan when I get a chance. but its considered the kugel pan. everyone know what I mean? oh please dont move it in middle of baking it wont get even baking and thats never good for baking anything. I guess I know a thing or two about baking. if you can help it dont open the door too often either. but thats ok. no big deal. '

sourstix

Post Sat, Oct 31 2015, 6:49 pm
ok the pan is 8x10 and its deep. make sure you have the deep or the amount that needs to fit wont fit. it fits there perfectly.even when I add an egg sometime. I also spray some oil ontop to give it a crunchier top. but the good thing about this kugel is that it doesnt take any oil. I feel very confident wheni can make something so good and no fat. my family loves it!

sourstix

Post Sat, Oct 31 2015, 6:52 pm
ok so now I understand what you mean with this mixed texture. its probably more then what I thought and that because you are changing it from one postion to another. imean from top to bottom however you are changing isnt good

Mevater

Post Sat, Oct 31 2015, 6:52 pm
sourstix wrote:
there is a specific blade thats a kugel blade. I dont know for sure if its the s blade. but it sure has the shape of s. now yes I put in eggs into bowl of food processer. yes its that easy! and the eggs mix together with pottatoes and onions. its kill two birds at once. I love it!
I use the kugel pan that they sell in stores. its deaper then the regular one. and I put in on second rack from bottom. if you put it too high of course its not gonna be good. I thought it was self understood. im sorry. no its not too long at all. if you want I can measure the pan when I get a chance. but its considered the kugel pan. everyone know what I mean? oh please dont move it in middle of baking it wont get even baking and thats never good for baking anything. I guess I know a thing or two about baking. if you can help it dont open the door too often either. but thats ok. no big deal. '

Thanks.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sat, Oct 31 2015, 8:59 pm
The kugel blade is not the S blade. The S blade is the chopping blade. I hear some people specifically like using the S blade for potato kugel, but I use the kugel blade exclusively. The kugel blade is "e" if you use a Braun food processor.

Mevater

Post Sat, Oct 31 2015, 9:34 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
The kugel blade is not the S blade. The S blade is the chopping blade. I hear some people specifically like using the S blade for potato kugel, but I use the kugel blade exclusively. The kugel blade is "e" if you use a Braun food processor.

I have no idea what the "e" blade is. Ive had the Braun for ages. Is this what you mean? If yes, you certainly cant mix eggs with it, as mentioned above "put in eggs in food process with the famous kugel blade ".

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sat, Oct 31 2015, 9:53 pm
Yes, there should be an "e" engraved on it. I was actually just about to post this link when I saw your response. http://m.ebay.com/itm/Braun-Mu.....m2460

Personally, I mix all the ingredients except the potatoes in a bowl, and then add the grated potatoes. My kugel comes out delicious, whether I make overnight or the classic version.

Mevater

Post Sat, Oct 31 2015, 10:08 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Yes, there should be an "e" engraved on it. I was actually just about to post this link when I saw your response. http://m.ebay.com/itm/Braun-Mu.....m2460

Personally, I mix all the ingredients except the potatoes in a bowl, and then add the grated potatoes. My kugel comes out delicious, whether I make overnight or the classic version.

I use that blade too, but the above recipe by "sourstix" probably meant the "s" blade, because I think she said to use it to mix the eggs, which the blade were discussing certainly cant.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sat, Oct 31 2015, 10:19 pm
Right, the blade Sourstix is referring to is NOT the kugel blade.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus