Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Healthy meals only!!! ideas pls

imato5

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 11:16 pm
I am on ww and doing very well. I have lost about 15 pounds so far and am exercising daily. I need some good tried and true healthy recipes for supper and shabbos. Please lets get away from the heavy kugels and rich deserts. Lets help each other eat healthy. Any ideas???

HindaRochel

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 11:34 pm
I would do mainly salads and chicken/fish in spices or fresh veggie sauce.

I made a delicious chicken the other day. Cut up onions, peppers and lots of tomatoes, layered them on skinned chicken, covered and cooked for hours...the veggies made a great sauce, and you could add some garlic, oregano etc to spice it up.

Rice with veggies is great...don't fear the grains...but use more whole grains. Add veggies and spices.

I love tabouli...yes you use olive oil in it, but you need some fats.

What I sometimes do with salads is dress them FIRST, toss them well, then drain out the extra dressing. You can that by dressing them in a colander.

Make fried rice, adding an omlet that hasn't been flipped. One egg per two people should be enough. With tons of veggies in it you have a one pot meal.

SorGold

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 11:40 pm
I have totally revamped how we eat Shabbos meals. Here are some of my classics off the top of my head

Friday night might look like this...
Whole wheat challah or spelt matza if we have no guests

Gefilta fish either baked in veggie sauce or defrosted and mixed with cooked or frozen veggies and then baked

usually 1-2 salads

Blended cauliflower soup, zuchinni soup or chicken soup

different kinds of baked chicken or marinated chicken cutlets that are baked or grilled (never fried)

A veggie dish...here are some super low fat ones that I make
brussel sprouts poppers (KBD lightens up)
baked veggies (dining in)
tangy green beans/ asparagus in (binah)
roasted mixed veggies and lots of fresh garlic (zuchinni, mushrooms, peppers, onions etc)
low fat brocolli kugel

maybe a carb...but no potato kugel, lukshen kugel, or apple kugel (aka cake)
wild rice and mushrooms
roasted red potatoes and shallots
barley with carmalized onions (much lower in carbs than rice)
butternut squash souffle made with xylitol or agave nectar (dd loves them)
maybe an apple crumb with whole wheat topping made with oil for the kids cuz they like a sweet side dish

desserts...
strawberry apple sauce
exotic fruit
dried guava or mango
LF chocolate oat cookies
sorbet

flowerpower

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 11:42 pm
brown rice
grilled chicked salad
sweet potatoes cubes in oven
speghetti squash with tomato sauce

mha3484

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 10:38 am
Can I please have the recipe for barley with caramelized onions?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 10:40 am
Healthy means different things to different people. You can search my menus and recipes here; I have many posted.

suzyq

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 11:04 am
I also am trying to cook very healthy/light now that the holidays are over. You can make so many different kinds of chicken - baked schnitzel, teriyaki chicken, roasted chicken, chicken wraps, onion smothered chicken - really any kinds of recipes you can find without adding tons of sugar - make sure to take the skin off before cooking and you leave out tons of fat and calories, and it still tastes very good.

This past week I made delicious roasted veggies that had just a drop of olive oil and the rest totally just the veggies and some spices. Acorn squash is delicious right now and all you have to do is cut it open, scoop out the seeds and place it face down on a cookie sheet in the oven for an hour. You can make all kinds of salads, or even just chop up veggies and have the fat free ready-made dressings on the side (or make them yourself using low-fat mayo or other lower-fat ingredients).

When I make anything with ground beef, I buy the extra lean ground beef - it takes away lots of fat and calories and you don't have to skim all the fat off.

Sweet potatoes are super healthy - you can make mashed sweet potatoes and even add in sugar-free maple syrup - YUM.

Basically, just bulk up on veggies and leaner meat. Forget the puff pastry and fried stuff. Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus