Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Spicy Gefilte Fish

TheBeinoni

Post Fri, Dec 19 2008, 2:43 pm
We are Sephardic and just recently started having the occasional store-bought gefilte fish for Shabbat day/seuda shelishit. This is the first time I ever bought the frozen stuff and I decided to give it my own spin. I just tasted it as it came out of the oven, can't wait to serve it for Shabbat! It's delish!

frozen gefilte fish
paprika
red zchug
mayo
salt
pepper
sugar
onion soup mix
sliced onion
carrots, already boiled till soft

1) Let the frozen fish sit out while you are preparing the rest.
2) Spray a loaf pan with pam, coat the bottom with paprika and pepper. Layer the onions on the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle some more pepper, some salt and sugar on top of the onions. Add a tiny bit of red zchug (remember it's spicy!) and a few drops of water. Mix/Shake the mixture at the bottom of the pan till the onions are fully coated.
3) Set the pan aside. In a small bowl, mix a heaping spoonful of mayo, some zchug, paprika, sugar, salt, pepper, and onion soup mix.
4) Place the frozen loaf of fish in the pan on top of the onions (you can also put in the carrots at this point, I put them on the bottom of the pan, they were not sliced, just peeled, whole).
5) Like icing a cake, coat the fish with the mayo mixture.

Bake at 350 covered (do not cover tightly of the mayo will get on the foil and you will miss out on the delicious coating!) for about 30 mintues. Then uncovered for about an hour.

cookielady

Post Fri, Dec 19 2008, 3:23 pm
It sounds really good. Let us know how e/o likes it. Maybe I will try it for our schug crowd.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Dec 19 2008, 3:32 pm
I always want to make spicy food, but then my kids won't touch it and I don't want to make a whole bunch of separate dishes because it's not for that many people. I will, iy"h keep this in mind when I we have spicy eating company Confused . I can't get frozen now anyway Wink .

TheBeinoni

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 6:54 pm
UPDATE: Fish was GREAT! It wasn't sooo spicy (I guess it depends on how much zchug you put), but my BIL (who, in general, wouldn't tough gefilte fish or any ashkenaz food with a 50 ft pole) actually ate a small piece! And he even admitted it wasn't too bad, which coming from him is a huge compliment!

I'm going to be making this a lot from now on.

ShakleeMom

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 7:49 pm
My mother re-cooks all leftover fish, slices included in a spicy sauce. Real great leftover dish.

tovasmom

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 7:59 pm
The only way gefilte fish gets eaten in our house is the KBD Entertains recipe called "Mexican Gefilte Fish" -- tomato sauce, taco seasoning, jalepeno. But my dh, who loves everything "5 alarm" spicy would probably really like this -- gotta try it!

TheBeinoni

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 8:08 pm
pile on the zchug! much to my surprise (because I frequently cook with zchug) the spicyness weakened after cooking!

beth

Post Sun, Dec 28 2008, 4:48 am
I would love to make that but on shabbos my dh likes everything very traditional.

TheBeinoni

Post Sun, Dec 28 2008, 4:50 am
update this wk I made it with much less mayo and more zchug - was extremely spicy! so I guess the moral of the story is that the mayo balances out the zchug.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Dec 28 2008, 5:03 am
My MIL (I think it was her) made a great dish out of frozen gefilta fish with a morrocan red chreime like souce. It worked great.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics