Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Bath issues and undressing/dressing- sensory issues as well?

Seraph

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 7:55 am
aidelmoms thread inspired me.
uriel won't sit in the bath. even with toys. he freaks out if I have him sit in the bath. and even before he'd freak out from sitting, when he used to agree, he'd freak out when I'd lean him back into the bath to rinse his hair.

he currently showers, but cries some of the time from that.

I'm also having issues getting him dressed and undressed. he freaks out when I take off his clothes, but is happier after. and freaks out when I put on his clothes, and is happier only after. this started in the past 2 weeks or so.

I suspect he might have some sensory issues as he likes wild crazy movements, can bang his head and not even fuss at all, likes spicy/sour food- he enjoys eating lemons, raw onions, raw garlic, plain salt, etc...

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 8:27 am
Could be. Maybe get an evaluation from a good OT?

Seraph

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 8:36 am
NotInNJMommy wrote:
Could be. Maybe get an evaluation from a good OT?
possibly. but what concerns do I go with- "my son likes lemons and charif- please help!"?

any suggestions for the bath and dressing issue?

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 8:42 am
that can be undersensitivity to taste (forgot the scientific term for this)...

I don't have this issue with ds. he's more understimulated than over.

the bathtime/clothes situation seems pretty typical for SID (sensory integration dysfunction). can you get hold of some SID books? or look online? I haven't research this specific issue much. I could look in my books but that probably wouldn't be as helpful as you looking directly since you know what your child is like.

Seraph

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 8:44 am
NotInNJMommy wrote:
that can be undersensitivity to taste (forgot the scientific term for this)...

I don't have this issue with ds. he's more understimulated than over.

the bathtime/clothes situation seems pretty typical for SID (sensory integration dysfunction). can you get hold of some SID books? or look online? I haven't research this specific issue much. I could look in my books but that probably wouldn't be as helpful as you looking directly since you know what your child is like.
my mother is a PT, my little brother had SID and doesnt have it anymore. it definitely runs in my family, so I think I can ask my mom for info...

in israel, does anyone know, where I would go if I'm possibly concerned about SID? His next tipat chalav appt is in 3 mos.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 8:46 am
http://books.google.com/books?.....p;lr=

The above is a book I got out of the library with some tips I remember reading over for bathtime, but again, I didn't pay close attention bc this is not an issue I've had.

gryp

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 8:49 am
Seraph, my oldest with sensory issues does/did a lot of that. It's all about the senses being over/understimulated. Being too cold while getting dressed, not liking shampoo, not feeling hurt when hurt, eating lemons Rolling Eyes, talking too loud or too high-pitched, endless energy, and more.
We never dealt with it with an OT and he's outgrown a lot of it. Most of the time I think he's not behaving, he's really just not on the right level/tone with the rest of us.

Seraph

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 8:51 am
notinnjmommy, only problem is in israel its not easy to find a well stocked english bookstore, let alone library...

Seraph

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 8:53 am
GR wrote:
Seraph, my oldest with sensory issues does/did a lot of that. It's all about the senses being over/understimulated. Being too cold while getting dressed, not liking shampoo, not feeling hurt when hurt, eating lemons Rolling Eyes, talking too loud or too high-pitched, endless energy, and more.
We never dealt with it with an OT and he's outgrown a lot of it. Most of the time I think he's not behaving, he's really just not on the right level/tone with the rest of us.
if its that, why did it just start in the past 2 weeks?

btw, the book that notinnjmommy posted, the reveiw said kids with SI are often delayed. if anything, my son is REALLY advanced, verbally, fine motor, gross motor, etc...

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 8:53 am
Sad If I have time later, which unfortunately I do not expect, I will try to go over that book again and find some tips for the bathtime situation at least.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 8:56 am
the delay thing...not so poshut...

there is a whole spectrum on SI. My ds is on the very mild end, but has small thing.

Slightly high voice, hands in mouth all the time (he's too old for that), plays with food/water to an extent that's not typical for his age, has to touch everything.

In Israel, are there any reasonable means of ordering English books to be shipped, etc.? I'm sorry I'm so ignorant of what thigns are like there.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 8:59 am
I sometimes speculate that bc he was preemie he didn't get that intense physical experience of being full term in utero. he did get swaddled a lot (which he loved) until he was about to his due date. Or maybe the swaddling was too big of an experience (despite his predisposition for it) and lesser sensation doesn't "satisfy" him.

gryp

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 9:06 am
Seraph wrote:
GR wrote:
if its that, why did it just start in the past 2 weeks?

btw, the book that notinnjmommy posted, the reveiw said kids with SI are often delayed. if anything, my son is REALLY advanced, verbally, fine motor, gross motor, etc...

My son did it off and on, it wasn't constant. He went through dozens of stages. I was able to coax him through it each time but it wasn't easy. I used a lot of distractions, singing songs, telling stories, etc while undressing him, bathing him, whatever it was. He LOVED baths as a newborn/infant.
The song "This is the way we put on our shirt...pants...socks" worked wonderfully. Still does.

My son wasn't delayed in the least bit either, except speech. Amazing memory, very good motor skills, he passed it all with flying colors. Except speech and his social anxiety.

Seraph

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 9:08 am
NotInNJMommy wrote:
I sometimes speculate that bc he was preemie he didn't get that intense physical experience of being full term in utero. he did get swaddled a lot (which he loved) until he was about to his due date. Or maybe the swaddling was too big of an experience (despite his predisposition for it) and lesser sensation doesn't "satisfy" him.
my little brother with SID was a footling breech that developed with his head held in place against my mothers ribs, and had quite a few premie symptoms, like possible CP and SID. I know with lots of work my brother doesnt have it anymore...

Seraph

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 9:15 am
GR wrote:

My son did it off and on, it wasn't constant. He went through dozens of stages. I was able to coax him through it each time but it wasn't easy. I used a lot of distractions, singing songs, telling stories, etc while undressing him, bathing him, whatever it was. He LOVED baths as a newborn/infant.
The song "This is the way we put on our shirt...pants...socks" worked wonderfully. Still does.

My son wasn't delayed in the least bit either, except speech. Amazing memory, very good motor skills, he passed it all with flying colors. Except speech and his social anxiety.
Uriel rolled at 1 month, cruised at 4, sat at 5, crawled at 9, took first step at 12, walked well at 13, runs now at 15 mos, can sorta jump now...
he has about 20 words, some as advanced as "outside". He mimics chicken sounds (babababa-bok bok bok), cow sounds (mmmmmm, sometimes adding an ooo), dog sounds (how how), the food processor (cant describe it but its really funny).
socially he seems fine. he likes playing best with the kid in the playgroup that is 11 mos his senior and also strong willed. he grabs toys from other kids and freaks out if they take his toy, but that seems normal if not advanced for his age (the 3 20 month olds I watch do the same).
he colors beautifully and has from 12 mos, paints well and doesnt just eat the paint, glues well, plays with clay, follows instructions....
he seems advanced, I'm not concerned about that....

gryp

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 9:32 am
He cruised at 4 months? Or slid on his stomach at 4 months?
He sounds fine. My point was that sensory disorders doesn't mean necessarily mean developmental delay.
And that it's not something that's necessarily constant. It came and went in stages.

Seraph

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 9:34 am
GR wrote:
He sounds fine. My point was that sensory disorders doesn't mean necessarily mean developmental delay.
And that it's not something that's necessarily constant. It came and went in stages.
cruised- standing holding on. he only took steps though from 5.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 9:58 am
Seraph wrote:
NotInNJMommy wrote:
my little brother with SID was a footling breech that developed with his head held in place against my mothers ribs, and had quite a few premie symptoms, like possible CP and SID. I know with lots of work my brother doesnt have it anymore...

DS was footling too...

gryp

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 11:06 am
Seraph wrote:
GR wrote:
cruised- standing holding on. he only took steps though from 5.

Okay, I thought cruising meant walking holding on. That's why I was surprised.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics