Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Haircutting 'ceremony' for 3yr old boy

ABC

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 1:15 pm
what are the minhagim for an upsheren?

Last edited by ABC on Tue, Nov 10 2009, 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total

greenfire

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 1:58 pm
the main thing is to have a symbolic haircut leaving aside his peyos ...

different people do it differently ... some put honey on alef beis and have him read at least the אמת first middle and last letter (we did it with chocolate letters thanks to a friend) ... some take turns cutting snips (or the pony to save and then cutting snips thereafter) ... others do it in a school setting wrapping the kid in a talis ...

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 2:04 pm
I took my boys to their cheder wrapped in a tallis (so that they don't see anything impure on the way). At the cheder the rebbe sang and danced with the "chosson". He took a board with the aleph beis and put honey on the Aleph, Mem and Tof (EMES) and had him lick it. He said "Torah Tziva Lanu Moshe" with him and they cut a cake which I had prepared with a special pasuk on top.

We only cut the hair on Lag Ba'Omer in Meron. Some people like to go to a big rav to cut the first lock.
Some people make a party or a seuda in their house.

BTW we keep our 3 year old in the house till sundown on their 3rd birthday because it is meant to be the holiest day of a boy's life and we don't want him to see anything impure.

EvenI

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 4:27 pm
Those boys that are taken to cheder on their 3rd birthday - are they actually in cheder already? Or are they taken to a cheder where they don't usually go? I don't get how they could have a cheder, unless they start cheder while they are only 2 years old. I have always been confused about this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics