Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Without strap?

pomegranate

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 11:45 am
I bought the fisher price potty. my husband says his mother used a training potty for the kids with a strap. do they still sell those with the strap? or is it better without?

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 11:47 am
if they are too little to get on the pot without falling off they are too little for toilet training imho.
How old were you mil's kids when they trained?

Pineapple

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 11:47 am
I just bought a potty

I didnt see any with straps

pomegranate

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 12:43 pm
HindaRochel wrote:
if they are too little to get on the pot without falling off they are too little for toilet training imho.

haha. no.. the straps are that they shouldn't run away in middle.
she brags that she trained them at eighteen months already

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 1:23 pm
pomegranate wrote:
HindaRochel wrote:

Toilet training shouldn't be forced. If the child isn't ready strapping them to the toilet is not a healthy way to train.

sky

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 1:38 pm
I agree with Hinda Rochel. I can't even begin to imagine how traumatized ds would be if I strapped him down to the potty.

BennysMommy

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 2:20 pm
shock Straps? shock
That's all I have to say!

flowerpower

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 2:30 pm
A strap? Never heard of a potty with a strap.

pomegranate

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 6:13 pm
sky wrote:
I agree with Hinda Rochel. I can't even begin to imagine how traumatized ds would be if I strapped him down to the potty.

ok. I get your point.
dosn't he get up and run away after a while?

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 7:11 pm
Yeah, I would think strapping a child to the toilet is going to be really traumatizing. How old is your tt child pom?

GAMZu

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 7:20 pm
pomegranate wrote:
sky wrote:

ok. I get your point.
Don't you? Wink

bandcm

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 7:20 pm
Dont dont dont tie your child to the potty! I think it would qualify as child abuse.

sky

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 8:10 pm
pomegranate wrote:
sky wrote:

ok. I get your point.

Sit with him. Read with him. Make him a sticker chart and tell him you'll give him a sticker if he sits there while you read the book. There are so many good ways to keep him on the chair without straps.

Is he old enough to understand what he is doing?

amother

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 9:04 pm

shock

im sorry but that is child abuse

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Dec 10 2008, 12:19 am
Here's how toilet training goes, with some variations on the theme. Before you start you should start changing your child immediately after they have relieved themselves, change them in the bathroom and empty the stool into the toilet saying "Bm and peepee go into the toilet." That's it. Keep it simple and don't make an angry face but just rather matter of fact. This is where pee and bm go.

Then you introduce your child to the potty. This isn't a formal occasion, keep it brief.
"Look DC. We bought you a potty. Just like mommy and daddy's potty. Soon you'll put your bm and peepee in the potty just like mommy and daddy." Yes it does make you sound like you've given away half your brains but so do a lot of child/parent conversations.

Then you have him/her o sit on the toilet. Some do it with the child's diaper on. Reading a bit is good. You don't want him to have to stay there long, just a few minutes at first. Then you have him/her sit there without a diaper about the time he would normally do something while reading to him, going through the bm and pee conversation again. . Do this a couple of times hoping to catch something. If and when it does happen you make a big deal of it. I mean what a hoopla!
I always found it best to toilet train when it was warm enough in the house to take off their diaper, and catch them about to do something or after an accident so I could then have them run to the toilet and sit.
But anyway, every time you see them about to pee or poop you say something along the lines of "quick quick lets go to the potty!" and whisk them away, telling them what a good boy/girl they are if anything is caught. If there is an accident have them run to the potty anyway and say "Its okay. Next time you'll put the peepee/bm in the toilet."
Rewards for doing it right. Big girl/boy panties just like daddy/mommy. Have the child pick them out.
Just keep explaining what is expected of him/her and keep helping him, praise the success, downplay the mistakes.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Wed, Dec 10 2008, 2:31 am
Oh please, every little thing is child abuse? Rolling Eyes Why is it really so different than strapping him into a high chair or putting into a crib if the child doesnt really want?

I've never seen such a thing and I dont think they exist. If I would strap my child on, he would probably just try to get up and walk away potty and all!

I dont believe in forcing a child to toilet train, although some pressure from the mother is not so bad.

bandcm

Post Wed, Dec 10 2008, 9:32 am
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
Oh please, every little thing is child abuse? Rolling Eyes Why is it really so different than strapping him into a high chair or putting into a crib if the child doesnt really want?

I've never seen such a thing and I dont think they exist. If I would strap my child on, he would probably just try to get up and walk away potty and all!

I dont believe in forcing a child to toilet train, although some pressure from the mother is not so bad.

The difference is that they are strapped into a high chair for their safety, not for the parents' convenience. And once the kid wants to get out, you take her out!

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Dec 10 2008, 10:22 am
to keep your child on the potty read books, show videos, play games!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training