Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Superfund sites in your area

Pickle Lady

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 1:47 am
Are you aware of the superfund sites in your area?
Superfund sites are basically sites where there was high amounts of hazardous waste dumped and the goverment supervised the clean-up. The was in the late 80's and early 90's. Then there are Brownfields which are old industrial sites that had low amounts of hazardous waste that was also cleaned-up and then made into useful land like a shopping mall. I know that a strip mall in the town I used to live in is a Brownfield. If you live in New Jersey this infromation is most important to you because most likely you live within a few miles of a superfund site. I don't know about you guys, but I wonder how well they can really clean up land that has had tons of toxic waste dumped.

Pickle Lady

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 9:36 am
no one has anything to say about hazardous wastes near thier home?

zaq

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 10:33 am
Certain things it's best not to look into too deeply if you're not prepared to do anything about it. If a person is tied to where she lives for whatever reason, and has no intention or ability to move, then knowing will only cause anxiety.

I'm more concerned about toxic materials in imports from China--but unless you're like avigayilmiriam and can mine your own iron for cookware and talc and other minerals for your makeup, you're forced to buy Chinese products because nothing else is being sold. I'm particularly uneasy about food and food preparation supplies. and just b/c s/t is made in USA doesn't mean the components aren't from China.

Pickle Lady

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 10:51 am
Maybe you might not move but consider not sending a child to play in a brownsfield park.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics