Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
MySpace.com
Previous  1  2

Imaonwheels

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 11:14 am
Yhese plaxes are unmoderated. I have an article about a guy who gives a lecture at schools to parents showing how my space is manipulated by stalkers and predators.

Before the lecture he searches myspace for someone who goes to that school and shows how predators put 2 and 2 to get a child's email, cell #, home address, etc. Using only the "parve" info and google. Then they get teens' trust and lure them into compromising situations.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 5:26 pm
Twenty year olds are not my concern. My concern are that my students who are between 10 and 12 years old have myspace accounts. They put up pictures that make them look way too old, dressed in almost nothing and lie about their ages. I went through my classes and went through to try to figure out who has and who does not have an account. However, I cant do that without being invited. This is a very dangerous place for young girls. Predators are all over this site. I keep trying to tell the parents, PLEASE watch your girls. They could be doing something so dangerous.

Imaonwheels

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 10:23 am
amother wrote:
all these websites seem to be barely moderated. you have myspace, and facebook. frumspace seems to be a bit better, but I never really tried it. myspace has definitely become totally out of hand. the garbage thats on there...............

How did you put Frumspace in that list???

It is a frum forum just like this one with only very aidel people on it. No nonsense is tolerated. Please be careful if it was by accident, and if not...

amother

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 5:21 pm
Imaonwheels wrote:

It is a frum forum just like this one with only very aidel people on it. No nonsense is tolerated. Please be careful if it was by accident, and if not...

I left it because of the lashon hara (ironic with that pic of the C.C. on the homepage) and because someone's personal way-out T.H. leniency was posted and was allowed to remain up as a michshol for others. Utterly irresponsible. And it's NOT a frum forum like this one because it's mixed, men and women, BIG difference. And run by a single guy who is posting and interacting with all the girls and women.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 9:33 pm
I'm not that crazy aobut frumspace.

Imaonwheels

Post Mon, Feb 26 2007, 8:07 pm
That is NOT the subject of this thread, to badmouth. I just objected to a frum site that is kept very clean being dumped in the same basket with these predator filled hunting grounds. My space is used mostly for teenage girls to post pictures their parents would die if they saw.

There are leniencies I see posted here that I consider michshol. That section you talked about was able to be hidden if you didn't want and was unaccessable to singles. Life is sorry if one paskens any halacha, esp TM, by internet (except email from your LOR). As far as I know that person is gone by complaint, more constructive than running away.

The comment about one guy interacting w/all of the women is also enough of an exageration to be a lie. The board is mixed but their are no improprieties. Their is a womens' section w/no visibility to men and one could stay there if they want.

The girls their tend to be younger than here and getting their feet wet, Better to find FS than myspace or frumteens.

chavamom

Post Tue, Feb 27 2007, 12:09 am
Imaonwheels wrote:
or frumteens.

I hadn't even heard of this one. Something else I need to worry about....

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, Feb 27 2007, 1:16 am
It is frum but the moderator is generally held to be a case. He is a proud member of the only 2 Torah opinions - mine and the wrong one - club. The modding is much more aimed to keeping out opinions he doesn't like than improper statements. You won't see nontnius pics and such but most people would not want this guy advising their teen.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 02 2007, 3:49 pm
Imaonwheels wrote:
There are leniencies I see posted here that I consider michshol.

I agree.
Quote:

That section you talked about was able to be hidden if you didn't want and was unaccessable to singles.

Wrong. The comment was posted by a man and was in a section all could read.

Quote:

The comment about one guy interacting w/all of the women is also enough of an exageration to be a lie.

Exaggeration?! The one who runs the site is a single male. Period. He interacts with women and girls in posts and via pm. How dare you call this a lie Mad

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, Mar 06 2007, 11:58 pm
Quote:
Exaggeration?! The one who runs the site is a single male. Period. He interacts with women and girls in posts and via pm. How dare you call this a lie

The entire site does not consist of one guy interacting w/women. As I said one could stay entirely in the all womens' section and make it better. Don't like the set up, post elsewhere. That is fine. But to include FS w/MS is disgusting. MS is becoming a defacto predator site.

You have a bad experience on a board and need to tell the LH everywhere? Just quit. If someone asks your opinion tell them you don't approve. But to include it in a list of dangers on the internet? Pleez!

MommyEsty

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 5:09 am
I have a myspace and a facebook account..its a great way to keep up with friends I would otherwise never talk to..
yes its shocking what some teens are up to on those sites..but I have a husband im not intrested in seeking out any guys so what the heck!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children