Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Hebrew translation in MS Word

Ima'la

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 12:08 am
I used to use the Hebrew-English translation feature (in the Research section) of MS Word a lot. Now we just reinstalled Windows and Office (long story, suffice it to say, it has NOT been fun, and we ain't done yet) and it won't translate to or from Hebrew anymore! (It will do plenty of other languages, though - Greek-Russian, anybody?)

Does anyone know how I can get it to translate Hebrew again? I have not (yet?) had success with the Help files or searching for information online.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 2:56 am
Is it much use? I use Babylon and I would recommend it - it costs three or four hundred shekels. You can download a trial version from their site for free. After that they kept reminding me to buy it. Then one day they sent me a reminder with 33% off the price. So I decided I would buy it. When I waited one more day they sent me an offer with 50% of the price!

su7kids

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 3:38 am
do you want a translation or how to type in Hebrew?

grin

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 10:10 am
morfix (sp?) is a good online translation site.

Ima'la

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 10:48 pm
I use it when I'm working, so it's faster for me not to have to open a book or start looking things up online. It is pretty good. I downloaded Babylon and it's better b/c it's smarter - with MS, I have to make sure I get the conjugation right for the word to be recognized - but my Babylon free trial expires in a week (less, now!) and I'd rather not pay money for something that's lurking somewhere in my computer! shalhevet, when your free trial expired, did it let you keep using it with annoying reminders or did it stop working? I'll keep morfix in mind in case I need it - thanks!

shalhevet

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 2:47 am
No, you can't use it any more once the trial expires. But wait a few days after it does until they send you a really good offer, and then it really isn't expensive. I bought the permanent license, not the yearly one.

ss321

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 10:49 am
can somoene explain where in MS word this "feature" is located? I would buy the not-trial version if I knew where to find the feature! As far as I know, I can type in hebrew using alt+shift, and I have a theasorus(sp), not a dictonary, in word, and said theasorus only works for english. can someone give more details to those of us who arent as computer literate? I would use this feature if I knew it exsited and where to find it!! I have MS word 07.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 10:52 am
There are two different things.

Word has an inbuilt translation feature - right click on the word.

Babylon is a company that sells a program you install, where you can click on any word in an email, word, many other programs (it doesn't work on the net) and you get an instant translation. It's much more comprehensive than the Word feature. You can Google Babylon to find it.

ss321

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 11:17 am
shalhevet wrote:

HUH? if I right click on the word, I get synonyms, in english.
shalhevet wrote:

Babylon is a company that sells a program you install, where you can click on any word in an email, word, many other programs (it doesn't work on the net) and you get an instant translation. It's much more comprehensive than the Word feature. You can Google Babylon to find it.

will it work in word?

shalhevet

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 11:31 am
ss321 wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

HUH? if I right click on the word, I get synonyms, in english.

I don't know what to tell you. Do you have Hebrew and English functions in Word. For me when I right click I get translation as one of the options. (Word 97)

Quote:

shalhevet wrote:

will it work in word?

Yes, I use it all the time in Word. As I wrote before, you can download it for a free 14 day trial.

grin

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 1:25 pm
my older version of Word had all that stuff built-in. Then they went and "improved" it so I can get translations only online, which I davka don't prefer. Confused

bluebird

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 2:14 pm
It's part of the proofing tools. When you install Office, there is a section where you can choose which components you want to install. You need to select the proofing tools in there or they won't get installed since they're deselected by default. You can install this component after the fact, but it's been so long since I've done it I don't remember how. I think if you insert the Office CD it will prompt you if you want to install new components.

I went looking for an installation guide but couldn't really find a good one. Maybe one of these will help you:

http://office.microsoft.com/en......aspx

http://www.board4all.cz/showth.....70680 (This explains how to install them in Office 2007 if you have an Office 2003. The steps taken here should help you install just the proofing tools regardless of version).

Sorry this isn't as clear as I wanted it to be. I hope it helps!

Ima'la

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 2:08 am
Thanks, everyone. Babylon expired, so I decided to try Morfix and so far I'm happy with it. I didn't really need all of Babylon's extras. I was going to try your suggestions, bluebird - thanks for posting the links - but I think I'll stick with Morfix for now, as long as it's working for me. It also has the advantage over Word that I can keep the Morfix window in Hebrew while my Word window is in English and I don't have to keep switching back and forth. And Morfix also can figure out conjugations well (unlike Word). Thanks again!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics