Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Cleaning chicken skin

goldrose

Post Thu, Feb 02 2006, 8:23 am
I always remove the skin before baking chicken, but the only way to cook a chicken uncovered (to get crispy) and to keep the chicken moist is to cook it with the skin on (right?).

How do you clean chicken skins? I go to the store, buy a chicken, skin and all, and then what??

THANKS!

shoy18

Post Thu, Feb 02 2006, 8:30 am
pull out the feathers and wash it. I use a poultry scissor for the ends with alot of feathers I just cut a way the sking with the feather

goldrose

Post Thu, Feb 02 2006, 8:56 am
so how do people clean A LOT of chickens?? it sounds like it will take hours!

red sea

Post Thu, Feb 02 2006, 9:02 am
I only used skinned chicken - to get it like u said - I bread the chicken with barbeque sauce and corn flake crumbs - cook it covered on a rack , then when its done leave it in the oven (on or off - no real diff) for 10-20 min uncovered - outside gets crispy inside stays moist - no skin and everyone is Very Happy (you just have to be careful to take it out of the oven on time so it does not go from crispy outside to all together dry and tough.)

Itta

Post Thu, Feb 02 2006, 9:17 am
you can clean the skin with diluted white vinegar if your afraid of germs and stuff.

most (or I should say all) people in my family don't eat the skin so I don't bother picking at the feathers as long as it doesn't look horribly un-appetizing Wink they just take it off when they're ready to eat it. (oh, but when I have company, I tend to pay more attention... you never know.)

chen

Post Thu, Feb 02 2006, 12:06 pm
What my mother did:
1. Turn on gas flame.
2. Pass chicken, piece by piece, through flame to singe off "hairs".
3. Boil big pot of water
4. Drop chicken, piece by piece, into boiling water. Leave in for a few seconds to soften pin feathers. Remove chicken from water.
5. Holding sharp, small knife between thumb and index finger, use knife and thumb to yank out pinfeathers.

What I do:
1. Hold chicken in left hand.
2. Grab chicken skin in right hand.
3. Pull skin off chicken.

sarahd

Post Thu, Feb 02 2006, 12:14 pm
chen, I must be your mother's daughter. Or maybe my mother is her sister? LOL

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 02 2006, 1:03 pm
We only get thighs and they're very clean.

MRN

Post Sat, Feb 04 2006, 6:40 pm
To get brown skin and tender chicken, put the non-breaded chicken under the broiler for three to five minues (uncovered). The baked covered for 40 add'l minutes at 350. Obviously if you put breaded chicken under it will burn... regarding pulling the feathers, you need a strawberry huller to pull them out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen