Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Your cutest Mishloach Manot ideas
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

ozi

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 6:03 pm
I did a really different Shalach Manos a few years ago.

I made a snakes and ladders game board. I baked a cake in a square silver foil tin, and colour printed a set-up game board, (that I had designed) including Simchas Purim and our family name on it. Then I arranged kosher jelly snakes across the board as snakes, and used 2 long thin candies as the ladders. I also found some dice erasers, and stuck them on top. I packaged the entire thing in clear cellophane bag, and it came out looking amazing!
I got lots of compliments on originality, too..

#1cook

Post Mon, Jan 19 2009, 1:43 am
cl wrote:

this year im dressing my boys as firemen so if u have any ideas for matchin MMs please ket me know Smile

bottle of water, a bag of peppermint candies (they look like flashing sirens), a hard plastic pencil case that was in a shape of a cordless phone that I filled with home made peanut chews, hot potato chips that have a picture of fire on the bag (I forgot which company it is) and a box of red hots. then I wrote the following poem.

Playing with matches is not a game
For a tiny spark leaps into a flame

Keep a watchful eye while cooking
a fire can start when you’re not looking

In case of a fire don’t delay
“Dial 911” right away

On this fun Purim remember the rule
That setting off firecrackers isn’t cool

The _____ squad

#1cook

Post Mon, Jan 19 2009, 2:13 am
when my oldest was 2 I dressed him up as a construction worker bought lunch pails that construction workers use put in a chocolate milk box drink little packs of coffee, sugar, and tea baked little muffins and cookies wraped up in cellophane wrote a little poem about it's time for a break sit down to some coffee and cake.

when my son was 3 and daughter was 2 we did smileys Very Happy I took my mother-in-laws home made duck costumes used the yellow body and bought smiley face masks they looked adorable like little smiley menchies. shock I bought hats with smileys all over it and used it as the basket Tongue Out I made little apple pies in round pans wraped it in saran wrap stuck a smiley sticker on top 8) also made peanut chews wrapped the same way as the pies Rolling Eyes , a candy stick topped with a smiley finger puppet 8) , a smiley bag filled with yellow laffy taffy's Wink , another smiley bag covering a grape juice Surprised .

I will post more tomorrow! Cheers

cl

Post Mon, Jan 19 2009, 6:15 am
MOMOF4BOYS2GIRLS
thx so mcuh 4 the idea Smile

cl

Post Mon, Jan 19 2009, 6:18 am
bebe3 wrote:
-I gave a plastic martini cup put in a mini bottle of gin, an olive on a tooth pick and a note with how to make a maritni
-When my Esther was born, I had to do something my husband could throw together so I did a beer mug, a beer and a bag of peanuts.

I love those 2 ideas, sooo easy, no cooking, no fiddly stuff and clever.

shabri

Post Mon, Jan 19 2009, 3:08 pm
Mrs.K wrote:
At the risk of someone being able to identify me....

Last year we did an indigestion sort of theme.

We gave out Cholent, Tums, Pop Rocks, Fire Poppers, and a gumball called 'blow up'
with a humorous poem about the um....common stomach problems on Purim.

It was kinda gross but it was very "us". Everyone we delivered too started laughing and said, "this is so typical of you guys." embarrassed

Obviously I wouldn't recommend this theme to anyone else.

That's hysterical.

ABC

Post Mon, Jan 19 2009, 3:28 pm

Last edited by ABC on Tue, Nov 10 2009, 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total

farfromhome

Post Mon, Jan 19 2009, 8:12 pm
I got my dd scrubs for purim, anyone have an idea for a mm that won't be so expensive? thanks....

#1cook

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 1:34 am
farfromhome wrote:
I got my dd scrubs for purim, anyone have an idea for a mm that won't be so expensive? thanks....

an apple a day keeps the doctor away-apple fruit roll up, apple chips, a real apple, bake little apple pies (I have a very good easy recipe if you want)

aspirin candies, a little pill box filled with colored m&ms make a label for the pill box with instructions to take one every hour for a happy purim, a bottle of punch with a label on it saying O+ blood, bake cookies in a shape of a heart, bag of jelly beans labeled kidney beans,

farfromhome

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 4:09 pm
momof4boys2girls, thanks so much for the ideas! I like the idea of m&m's in a pill bottle - I didn't want to do something that looked too much like real pills, so doing colored m&m's is a great idea!

can you post the easy apple pie recipe?

thanks

BlumaG

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 4:18 pm
ooks like e/one's really imaginative here
I am dressing my 3 kids 2 girls and 1 boy as queen esther - DS is only 1 - how can I tie in MM w/ queens or princesses???
the kids came up w/ wat they want to be and they r old enough now that I am going along w/ their idea especially since hte 2nd choice was havdalla set so BH we're back to choice #1

imokay

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 4:53 pm
ooh I love purim. my dh says I just buy them premade so I dont drive him crazy.

when my twins were b"h 1, my theme was "whine"
so for costume I made them up t shirts (they were scared of costumes) and each one said on front "I am a Whino" (as person who is obsessed with wine/ or someone who drives me crazy) in and the back said blue bottle (or pink bottle for my dd), aged 1 1/2 years. the mm was wine theme: ice bucket, clear rock candy for ice, small bottle wine, package snacker crackers, 1 stick string cheese, wrapped nicely in cellophane and ribbon. and obviously it tied into purim with the whole wine thing.

when they were b"h 2, I did a money theme- each of my kids was a penny. so together, "they put their two cents into everything”
costumes were another set of t shirts, each with a giant penny on front and the words "1 cent" below and on the back was our slogan.
and it tied into purim by tying in matanot leevyonim with it.
MM was in gold bags, with gold coins, mints (as in where money is printed), a beer with then name gold in it and I don’t remember what else. Poem was really cute if I may say so myself.

When they were b"h 3 they wanted to be king and queen so I did a “royaltea” theme. Costumes are self explanatory, and MM was nice basket with relaxing things in it: “tea” lights and holders, box of tea, box of wafers with picture of tea on it, lemon flavored candies and thing of tea buscuits, all wrapped nicely in collophane. I tied it in with purim, by reminding everyone that even though it’s a fun filled day, take a moment to stop and relax and appreciate the meaning of the day and all we have to be thankful for.

This year, my kids b"h are being picky about what they wanna be, so I don’t know if I can impose my will on them anymore, but I am brainstorming….

Before I was married, I did for my mother, happy theme (in a basket- don’t be a basketcase), a no theme theme (corny I know but she wanted to get rid of all her old containers and bags) and more, except I no longer remember them….

when I had 2 kids, and they were scared pf costumes, I made up t shirts for them. each one had a giant penny on it an

BlumaG

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 4:57 pm
I really like the 'royaltea' idea

avimom

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 8:41 pm
imokay- your two cents theme made me laugh!! What was your poem for the themeless one?

#1cook

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 8:55 pm
farfromhome wrote:
momof4boys2girls, thanks so much for the ideas! I like the idea of m&m's in a pill bottle - I didn't want to do something that looked too much like real pills, so doing colored m&m's is a great idea!

can you post the easy apple pie recipe?

thanks

1 graham cracker pie shell (or 6 mini)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
5-7 baking apples

topping
2 Tbs. sugar
2 Tbs. margarine
1/2 cup flour

preheat oven to 350 peel, core, and slice apples pour sugar and flour over apples and mix to coat put into pie shell mix topping ing. till crumbly and sprinkle over pie bake uncovered 1 hour 10 min.

mandy1000

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 11:12 pm
I got my daughter a butterfly costume...anyone have any ideas for mm?
Thanks!

kaye

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 11:57 pm
my son wants to be uncle moishy. what can I do for shaloch manos, and how can I incorporate my 18 month dd into this?

#1cook

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 12:06 am
mandy1000 wrote:
I got my daughter a butterfly costume...anyone have any ideas for mm?
Thanks!

here is a poem I found and in parentheses suggestions of what you could put in mm.

A mama butterfly lays all her eggs, (for eggs a small bag of white jelly beans)
Out pops a caterpillar, crawling on its legs. (gummy worms for caterpillars)

The caterpillar first is rather thin,
But then it eats till it bursts through its skin.

After growing nice and big,
The caterpillar climbs on a leaf or twig. (pretzel sticks for twigs)

It makes a shell where it hangs inside, (buy chocolate mold in a shape of a shell)
Then the shell cracks, and the parts divide.

Inside the shell, a change was going on,
The form of the caterpillar now is gone.

When the shell opens, what comes out?
A beautiful butterfly fluttering about (bake cookies in a shape of butterflies)

I'm sure you could order butterfly cookies in the bakery but it may cost you
if you don't want to make chocolate molds I think they sell a box of chocolate in the store were the chocolate is shaped like shells

hmmmm?

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 1:10 am
farfromhome - you could also buy small clear plastic circular containers and put red jello in them (strep test!)

mandy1000 - you could put the whole MM in a simple rectangular box and cover it with a photocopied cover of the book "the hungry caterpillar". Also, you can buy butterfly lollipops - they're those jelly ones that also come in purim theme and other designs.

For the uncle moishy theme - you can buy inexpensive black fedora hats (plastic ones that have a fake felt coating or just plain plastic) and you could make the white cutout "mem" to stick on the front. That would make a perfect basket. You could make "mem" shaped cookies with white frosting. Your daughter could be dressed as Uncle Moishy's mitzva meidel instead of mitzva man. I don't remember what the mitzva men wear, but you could just paint mitzva meidel on a t-shirt.

I've done a bunch of cute ideas in the past (drawing a blank right now - I'll post when I can remember)and I've always received great feedback, but I can honestly say that my best ones were the simple, elegant ones without any real theme other than basic color coordination.

imokay

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 8:41 am
for my themeless one I did a poem about how this year we were not going to do a theme bc we were fed up and had enuf. so we had dif. types of boxes with dif foods that did not connect. and then when we were proudly looking at all our themeless work, it hit us that in fact our theme this year was no theme! I'll try to dig up the original.... it was cute....
Page 2 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics