Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Death of a coworker

sky

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 4:06 pm
A young coworker of mine died suddenly. I work from home but have worked with him on projects in the past. they sent out an e-mail with funeral arrangements and I can't go there (he wasn't jewish, although I doubt they will have a religious ceremony). I'm wondering if there is something I should be doing?

wanderer

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 4:10 pm
Send flowers and a card with your condolences?

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 4:45 pm
A simple heartfelt card written to his family will mean a lot to them.
You might also want to check with coworkers to see if they are planning to do something as a group that you can chip in for - like sending flowers or making a charitable donation of some sort.

orchidmom

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 4:50 pm
Flowers are a good option.

GAMZu

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 6:21 pm
Sad
Yes, write a card and sent it to the family with some flowers.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 6:24 pm
why can't you go ...

Barbara

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 6:35 pm
sky wrote:
A young coworker of mine died suddenly. I work from home but have worked with him on projects in the past. they sent out an e-mail with funeral arrangements and I can't go there (he wasn't jewish, although I doubt they will have a religious ceremony). I'm wondering if there is something I should be doing?

My deepest sympathies.

If you'd like to attend the service, by all means CYLOR. There are at least some opinions that you may do so unless its at a church. https://www.yeshiva.org.il/ask/eng/?id=2035 I've no clue if a funeral home is construed as a church in this respect.

If you cannot, or would rather not, attend the funeral, a note to the family expressing your condolences would almost certainly be appreciated. I would also give tzedaka in his memory. If he died of a particular condition (heart disease, cancer) that's always nice. Otherwise, stick with your favorite non-deniminational, plain vanilla charity (heart disease, cancer).

sky

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 6:51 pm
One reason I'm so sad about the whole thing is he is really young (22) has no family at all, lived alone, and died in a freak accident.

I wouldn't even know who to send a card to. I wish there was something I could do that would matter.

bubby

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 9:11 pm
Ask your HR person for his next of kin. Don't be depressed though...you could make a donation to a charity in his honor. Non-Jews also can rise to a higher place (I think) if someone does something good in their name.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics