Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Jersey City NJ

Starhavah

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 11:15 am
DH got a call yesterday from a recruiter with a job that is a great match for him. They are located in Jersey City. What would be the Jewish community near there? I saw that it is near Greenwich village. What are commuting times from various Jewish communities? We are looking for a Jewish community but not an insular or too frum one. We are modern Ortho, Young Israel types.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 11:19 am
passaic park nj is nearby ... my dxh used to work in jersey city and we almost moved to passaic park for that reason ...

Tamiri

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 11:28 am
New Jersey:
West Orange - nice and MO. Maybe 15 minutes with no traffic. With traffic.... you take public trans.
Livingston (expensive) Just a bit up from W. Orange, but it's ritzy.
Elizabeth/Maplewood Less expensive, close to everything. Big community. School.
Passaic/Nutley My perception is that it's "frummier" than not.

Jersey City is a great location.

manhattanmom

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 1:45 pm
It's not a very bad commute from Brooklyn.

and it's really close to Lower Manhattan--it's just outside the Holland Tunnel.

I was also going to suggest Elizabeth.

egam

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 2:49 pm
Does the company in Jersey City have parking? If not, it's worth to take a train. Elizabeth community (and school) is much more modern then Passaic and also probably the least expensive of all mentioned already.

fromnj

Post Tue, Feb 17 2009, 9:16 pm
Jersey City is on the Path, so any community with a train that goes to Newark would be good. Highland Park/Edison has a nice mix.

myfriends715

Post Tue, Feb 17 2009, 11:48 pm
my dh works in Jersey city... we live in brooklyn the commute is a bit over an hr.. (but we live in the very end of bklyn) let me know if you have any quest.

mommee

Post Wed, Feb 18 2009, 1:01 am
Fairlawn, NJ is also a nice friendly, mixed community.

newToNeighborhood

Post Wed, Feb 18 2009, 10:24 am
I work in Jersey City and commute from Passaic. I started off taking the train, but it was hard, since I had to make up a lot of time for leaving eary on Fridays. Luckily, my company susidizes parking, so I only pay $75/month for parking. With gas costs, it's probably just a little more than the train, but worth the convenience. The entire commute is probably 45-50 minutes, which isn't too bad.

newToNeighborhood

Post Wed, Feb 18 2009, 10:31 am
Just out of curiosity, does anyone else here work in Jersey City?

myfriends715

Post Wed, Feb 18 2009, 2:42 pm
newToNeighborhood wrote:
Just out of curiosity, does anyone else here work in Jersey City?

like I said my dh does.. he works for goldman sachs

newToNeighborhood

Post Wed, Feb 18 2009, 3:46 pm
sorry I wasn't clear... I understood from your post that your husband works in Jersey City, but I was wondering if any ladies on this site worked here (that might be topic for a new thread). Since I started working here I haven't seen any frum women and lunchtime gets lonely. Anyway, I was just wondering...

sara_rivka

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 4:00 pm
Since this is an old post, I'd like to revive it with a different angle. Does anybody know anything about the community in Jersey City itself? I saw this article about it on the OU page:
http://www.ou.org/community/co.....rsey/
and I looked at the webpage for the shul -- it seems like a very open, very mixed community (probably only a small number of strictly frum families, I'm guessing). There's an eruv but it seems to be a pretty small area.

Anyway, my husband and I are curious what it is like to live there. We are modern ortho and we certainly want at least a SMALL community of similar folks but are definitely open to a more mixed community. Does anyone live there, know anyone who lives there, or has spent a shabbos there?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries