Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Oven's dairy/meat

Didi

Post Tue, Dec 14 2004, 5:08 pm
We just got a new oven. I used to have an up and down so the top I used for dairy and the bottom for meat. I was wondering if there are any books that someone can recommend with the halachot of switching over from dairy to meat and vice versa in the same oven without having to self clean it every time.

I just called my rav with tonights shaylah but I don't want to have to bother him once a week if not more.

proudmom

Post Tue, Dec 14 2004, 5:14 pm
just double wrap your food everytime you put something in the oven

Didi

Post Tue, Dec 14 2004, 5:17 pm
proudmom, but what if I want to brown something?

proudmom

Post Tue, Dec 14 2004, 5:24 pm
then I dont know what to do

rydys

Post Tue, Dec 14 2004, 5:37 pm
this is definitely a shaila for your personal rov, as many hold differently. I know some who pasken that you have to cover one thing--either milchig or fleishig. my rov holds that one should not switch over at all, but have 2 separate ovens. If this is not feasible, then one should always be double wrapped.

Didi

Post Tue, Dec 14 2004, 7:16 pm
thanks for your replies, I actually called my Rav tonight and asked my specific Shaylah. I will have my husband ask him next time he sees him or maybe I will make an apt with him to discuss all possible senario's.

Post Wed, Dec 15 2004, 1:09 pm
Your Rav can probably make a recommendation of what to do in general (like as other's suggested- wrapping), and what to do when you need to change.

Yael

Post Thu, Dec 16 2004, 2:37 pm
also it makes a difference if you are lubavitch or litvish b/c I know they hold very differently in this specific issue.

supermom

Post Thu, Dec 16 2004, 4:53 pm
I was told that if you put it on broil for fifteen or twenty minutes before you intend on using it it is fine becuase it burns up everything inside if something happened to squirt and all

rydys

Post Thu, Dec 16 2004, 8:11 pm
who said that, supermom? even self clean which is a lot hotter than broil takes at least an hour to clean.

supermom

Post Fri, Dec 17 2004, 4:06 am
my rav, you aren't cleaning the whole oven you are burning up anything that splurted cleaning I can understand would take that long

curlyhead

Post Sat, Dec 18 2004, 11:02 pm
buy a seperate toaster oven for milchig

Didi

Post Sun, Dec 19 2004, 10:43 am
supermom, My rav paskend similar to yours. He told me since it was on only for 30 minutes and the food was covered and nothing splattered and the oven was not messy from Dairy all I have to do is put it on the highest setting for 15 minutes, like he does in his house.

Rivky, I only use my toaster for dairy, but I was making baked ziti for someone that had just given birth and it was in a 9x13 pan and was too big for my toaster oven.

Post Mon, Dec 20 2004, 2:33 pm
again, everyone should ask their own rav. I know mine says it has to be on the highest temp. for 40 min (or at least 30)!

ForeverYoung

Post Fri, Dec 24 2004, 11:37 am
you know, our grandmothers and great-grand mthers had one (and only one) heating oven/ stove in the house, and they made everything in it.

So one doesn't have to have 2 ovens - that is a humra. (I know some people hold by it, but I wonder if even their rabeim would permit using 1 oven for everything if 2nd wasn't an option)

To kasher an oven, one has to clean it, let it sit for 24 hrs, and than broil it for 45 min - now it's kosher parev!!!
(Note: rubber insulation might need to be replaced when koshering from treif and from hometz - consult your Rav)

I don't kow what is the prosedure when the oven doesn't need to be washed.

But once, I had a fleishig spill that was all burnt through, and had to bake cookies for a party and had no time for koshering. Later, when we asked a shaila, we were told that my cookie sheets are still pareve.

Have fun!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen