Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby waking up at crack of dawn!

amother

Post Sun, Oct 20 2013, 2:03 pm
My baby is 13 months old now, no matter what time I put him to sleep, he wakes up at 6 am or so for the day. if I put him in at 8:30, he wakes up at 6, if I put him in at 6:30 he wakes up at 6 etc.....What can I do to help him sleep later?! I can't wake up so early!!!!!!!!! please advise if it's possible at all....

smss

Post Sun, Oct 20 2013, 2:14 pm
is this new? my baby did that for a few weeks around that age....b"H it stopped.

I have to warn you though, 6 am is considered a normal wake up time for little kids - so it could be this is just your new schedule Sad

bookie

Post Sun, Oct 20 2013, 2:29 pm
I don't think you can do anything. Six am is a normal wake up time for lots of kids. Eventually you get used to it.

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Oct 20 2013, 2:32 pm
Yes, sorry to be a debbie downer but 6 is a very normal time for babies to wake up. If you were talking about 4am or something....

Go to bed earlier and pull yourself out of bed at 6. Not the most pleasant part of parenting but hey no one said it was all sunshine and roses.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Oct 20 2013, 2:35 pm
I cant seem to embed this great poster from facebook but it said: "Mothers are basically part of a scientific experiment to prove that sleep is not a crucial part of human life".
Truer words were never said. 6:30 is not the crack of dawn. Unfortunately you will have to get used to that hour of the morning. Welcome to parenthood Very Happy

busydev

Post Sun, Oct 20 2013, 2:59 pm
yeah thats not really the crack of dawn... if this is a new development maybe try and see what changes may have happened that could be causing her to wake up. an upstairs neighbor waking for the early minyan (this happened with us-a white noise machine worked great)? light coming in from the windows that was not there before (also happened to us-made sure all curtains were down. some ppl need room darkening shades)? also whats her naps look like? to much day sleep can eat into night sleep. I found that putting some books or toys at the end of ds1's crib before I go to bed buys me some extra sleep most of the time. but if nothing seems to help then put her to bed earlier and put yourself to bed earlier too. this way you can get things done in the early evening.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 20 2013, 3:27 pm
THanks all...I guess I do need to change my schedule and get used to getting up early! However, he's being so hard in general in sleep. He takes a nice long morning nap (2 1/2 hours usually)-I put him in and he goes right to sleep. He really needs more sleep though and has a hard time lasting out until bedtime. However when I try to put him in for a much needed afternoon nap, it takes him 2 hours to fall asleep and by then it's too late for a nap! SO I am trying now to keep him up but it's soo ahrd having a tired cranky baby around all afternoon...any tips pls!?!? (I'm a real first time mom I guess Smile )

busydev

Post Sun, Oct 20 2013, 3:42 pm
well my ds is just 2 now. but since a year he has been sleeping from 8 till 7 with a few exceptions at times (like I mentioned before). he used to take 2 naps a day-each abt 1.5hrs, but at around 14mo he started consolidating and sometimes taking 2 naps nad other times taking 1 long (3hr nap) since abt 15-16mo he has ben taking just one nap. it used to be abt 11 and every couple months he would push it off a little. now its at 1:30 when he gats home from playgroup. otherwise it would be around 1 if we would wait till he got tired. maybe try and push your sons nap off a bit (like 10min a day) till its more splitting his day in 2. if he sleeps 6-6 and he naps 2.5 hours maybe try to move his morning nap till 11 or so and then he will have 5 hours from wake up till nap and 5 hours from nap till bed? tho most kids do get crankier in the evening no matter what. even my ds who ganerally naps till about 4/4:30 and goes to bed 4 hours later is crankier in the afternoon then in the morning

wereafamily

Post Sun, Oct 20 2013, 7:01 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I cant seem to embed this great poster from facebook but it said: "Mothers are basically part of a scientific experiment to prove that sleep is not a crucial part of human life".
Truer words were never said. 6:30 is not the crack of dawn. Unfortunately you will have to get used to that hour of the morning. Welcome to parenthood Very Happy

Love!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics