Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Rinsing lentils?

yOungM0mmy

Post Mon, Jan 12 2009, 10:38 am
Do you have to rinse lentils? Not from a bug point of view, but from cleanliness? My lentils have little brown bits, and when I rinse, lots of them float to the top, which I spill off, and repeat. But still not all the bits rise. Also, the lentils make the water milky and smelly, really white, and it takes about 15 rinses to make the water a little clearer. Are you supposed to get rid of all that stuff, or can you just pour it straight into the pot (I make soup with it)?

SingALong

Post Mon, Jan 12 2009, 12:28 pm
I soak them once for a couple of hours and then strain them, it seems to do the trick.
I also let the water run onto the lentils and stir them around while they are in the strainer, to get out any last bits

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Jan 12 2009, 12:31 pm
By letting them soak for an hour, it leeches out much of what makes lentils a gassy food.

In addition... do you REALLY want to be eating whatever that stuff might be?

zaq

Post Mon, Jan 12 2009, 1:23 pm
Of course you have to rinse, same as you would wash vegetables, but 15 rinses isn't necessary. The white stuff is just starch, and it's not necessary to remove it. Rinsing to clarity MIGHT make the lentils less likely to boil over, though I doubt it.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Jan 12 2009, 1:24 pm
The 'stuff' I was referring to was the brown weird bits that sometimes float.

yOungM0mmy

Post Mon, Jan 12 2009, 2:19 pm
Thanks all. I do rinse about 15 times, agitating the water with my hand every time, till the water is clearish, so the brown stuff does come out eventually (I keep rinsing till no more brown bits rise, because no, I do not want to eat that stuff).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes