Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Need vege side that yeshiva boys would like...

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 12:50 pm
We're having yeshiva boys over this week for Shabbos day. I'm making potato kugel, chulent, and kishka of course. I'm going to make some sort of sweet kugel too. But I'd really like to make a vegetable dish (cooked or a salad). What can I make that yeshiva boys might actually eat?

Or should I not even bother...?

Kugel lover

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 12:53 pm
Yeshiva boys like lettuce salads.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 12:58 pm
It's not like yeshiva boys are one entity that all like or dislike the same thing. Everyone likes different types of food. You should prepare at least one veggie side dish, your meal is very heavy, it should have one salad or veggie such as green beans, broccoli, etc.

Mrs.K

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 12:59 pm
I have about 10 guys per meal per shabbos. In my experience any salad with meat or chicken in it will have the bowl licked clean. (Taco Salad, Deli Salad, Grilled Chicken Salad etc.) You can also make healthier sides that guys still eat like apple kugel or broccoli kugel (that came as a major shock) or sweet potato pie.

Good luck! Enjoy!

SingALong

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 1:00 pm
maybe a marinated salad?

6 sliced squash
4 sliced carrots
1 lb snow peas
2 can baby corn
2 green peppers thinly sliced
2 red peppers thinly sliced
2 yellow peppers thinly sliced
1 red onion

dressing:

3/4 C. sugar
1/2 cup oil
8 oz vinegar
1 tsp salt
dash black pepper

let it marinate. can substitute cauliflower for squash

(Culinary creations cookbook)

I made this once and my DH and his friend loved it

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 1:24 pm
Mrs.K wrote:
I have about 10 guys per meal per shabbos. In my experience any salad with meat or chicken in it will have the bowl licked clean. (Taco Salad, Deli Salad, Grilled Chicken Salad etc.) You can also make healthier sides that guys still eat like apple kugel or broccoli kugel (that came as a major shock) or sweet potato pie.

Good luck! Enjoy!

The salads sound really good. Can you give me recipes for those? I've made parve taco salad before (mixed salsa with mayo, added tortilla chips), do I just add ground meat? Ground meat with taco seasoning?

I've never made salad with chicken before...It's good to have an experienced opinion! More details would be great Smile

Mrs.K

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 1:35 pm
I posted it on a different thread recently. I'll cut and paste for you:

I put it lettuce, cucumbers, peppers and cherry tomatoes halved.
I then put in browned chop meat (you can fry it in either oil or water)
Add crunched up Doritos.

The dressing is Salsa, Mayo (I wouldn't say equal parts, I'd say a bit more Salsa) and garlic powder. Mix together and pour on top.
If you like it more spicy, you can use the BBQ doritos or the less mild salsa.
That's it. I personally do not add taco seasoning since the salad doesn't need it, I think it would be a bit overpowering, but that's just my opinion.

I've seen people add really authentic taco type things like corn, avocado, black olives, etc.

Deli Salad-All it is is lettuce and some deli pieces. (A few different kinds. You can mix turkey, corned beef, pastrami, roast beef etc.)

The dressing is 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1/4 cup oil. Add a tsp of honey and a tsp of mustard and mix.

I've never actually made the grilled chicken salad for guests. (I'll have it myself for lunch with a bit of garlic dressing.) I'm sure someone here is a more professional dressing.

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 1:38 pm
Mrs.K wrote:
Add crunched up Doritos.

Just wanted to clarify before someone goes off on a tangent.. here in Israel, Doritos are Kosher.

Mrs.K

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 1:41 pm
YESHASettler wrote:
Mrs.K wrote:
Add crunched up Doritos.

Just wanted to clarify before someone goes off on a tangent.. here in Israel, Doritos are Kosher.

Thanks Yesha Wink

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 1:47 pm
Mrs.K wrote:
I then put in browned chop meat (you can fry it in either oil or water)

Is chop meat the same thing as ground beef?

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 1:48 pm
Also, how much meat would you use for a bag of salad?

Mrs.K

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 1:54 pm
Yes ground beef.
I really don't know, all the measurements are different in Israel. I'd say less then a kilo for a big salad but that probably doesn't help you.

Honestly, I don't think it has to be any set amount. Some people what their salad more vegetably, some people want more meat. Like cholent, it's just preference. Put in enough meat so that the guys realize it's a meat salad and you'll be fine.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 2:03 pm
Thanks, Mrs. K! Taco salad it is!

Hope they enjoy it...

grin

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 2:35 pm
I hadn't noticed that my boys home from yeshiva eat any differently than any other humans, just more of whatever it is, esp. chicken or meat.

(dd said to add - focus on calories, not how the food looks!)

shabri

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 4:27 pm
I also have tons of yeshiva bochrim. I make taco salad often. I use the same recipe but also add avocado. When I cook the meat, I use taco seasoning.

Grilled chicken salad

grilled chicken cutlets
lettuce
almonds (supposed to be toasted but who has the time)

dressing

5 tbsp mayo (I use low or no fat)
3 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp lemon juice

I also have a recipe for tomatoes that goes over very well.

slice up a bunch of tomatoes (nice and hard ones)
arrange on a plate

sprinkle with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, basil, ,oregano, salt & pepper (no amounts, just sprinkle) The guys I had a few weeks ago were very into it.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 5:10 pm
Those I know may like potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, asparagus, basically no green salad, green stuff, cabbage with mayo may be ok but some hate sauces too, and cabbage alone no way. Maybe white beans? Corn too. Tomatoes could be ok, especially stuffed with meat. Onion rings.

opinion of dh, avoid: broccoli, spinach, radish, leek unless in balls and fried, most green stuff is considered yuck and "old folks" or "health freak"

Meat wise, no stuff with bones or they'll either eat it by hand yuckily, or use cutlery and mess the whole table.

He said if you wanna be sure, don't bother with veggie. He proposed rice or a soup with kneidlech and croutons, generally all love and told me to tell you generally although they'll eat fruit salad they really prefer cake. Avoid strawberry or raspberry if you wanna avoid a debate on is it possible to kosher and if yes how to. Chocolate should be good.

NO quinoa, soj steak/fake meat, whole grain, wheat as a veggie, fake sugar, wine leaf, smelly fish, gelatinous stuff. Tons of challa. Sodas.

Many times gefilte fish is unnappreciated and eaten as a mitsve only.

Presentation is a nice plus but they don't care if it's ugly.

ClaRivka

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 5:12 pm
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
Thanks, Mrs. K! Taco salad it is!

Hope they enjoy it...

This is the first salad my husband ever ate!

another good "vegetable side dish" is carrot kugel.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes