Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Cholov Yisroel Buttermilk?

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 3:49 pm
My sons prefer cholov Yisroel dairy products. Pancakes and biscuits taste so much better with buttermilk, but I can't find a cholov Yisroel brand. Have any of you seen cholov Yisroel buttermilk or buttermilk starter? Where? Who makes it?

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 3:52 pm
use sour cream
or add vinegar

* Milk (just under one cup)
* 1 Tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice

Preparation:

1. Place a Tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup.

2. Add enough milk to bring the liquid up to the one-cup line.

3. Let stand for five minute. Then, use as much as your recipe calls for.

Chani

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 3:56 pm
Every now and then I see it in Cleveland, but not all that often

Raisin

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 4:11 pm
from wiki

Quote:
Buttermilk is a fermented dairy product produced from cows' milk with a characteristically sour taste. The product is made in one of two ways. Originally, buttermilk was the liquid left over from churning butter from cream. In India, buttermilk (chaas) is known to be the liquid leftover after extracting butter from churned curd (dei). Today, this is called traditional buttermilk. On the other hand artificially made buttermilk, also known as cultured buttermilk, is a product where lactic acid bacteria called Streptococcus lactis have been added to milk.[1] Whether traditional or cultured, the tartness of buttermilk is due to the presence of acid in the milk. The increased acidity is primarily due to lactic acid, a by-product naturally produced by lactic acid bacteria while fermenting lactose, the primary sugar found in milk. As lactic acid is produced by the bacteria, the pH of the milk decreases and casein, the primary protein in milk, precipitates causing the curdling or clabbering of milk. This process makes buttermilk thicker than plain milk. While both traditional and cultured buttermilk contain lactic acid, traditional buttermilk tends to be thinner whereas cultured buttermilk is much thicker.[1]

In the early 1900s, cultured buttermilk was labeled artificial buttermilk, to differentiate it from traditional buttermilk, which was also known as natural or ordinary buttermilk.[2]

Acidified buttermilk is a related product that is made by adding a food-grade acid to milk.[3]

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 8:40 pm
I'll give the vinegar a try.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 10:53 am
Update on cholov Yisroel buttermilk:

We've found some -- it's produced by Golden Flow, and the major Baltimore kosher grocery, 7 Mile Market, is ordering some! It should be in by next Tuesday (Jan 27), and possibly by this Thursday.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 11:39 am
I just use milk and lemon juice...I can't see spending money on buttermilk which I don't use too often.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 11:41 am
so tell us the dif bet the vinegar & the real stuff ...

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 9:17 pm
I"YH I'll let you know. I use enough buttermilk to keep it around, because I also like to drink it (great with milk chocolate!). You can also make buttermilk if you already have some -- which is what I'll have to do if 7-Mile doesn't sell enough of it. Last month I made some biscuits using yogurt as a substitute; I didn't think the texture was as good.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics