Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Appliance recommendations: dishwashers and ovens
1  2  Next

mommy24

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 7:53 pm
We are thinking of redoing our kitchen getting all new appliances. I read all the tips and ideas everyone gave in the other threads about your dream kitchen, I am doing tons of research online and asking friends so I figured I'd ask here as well - which dishwashers and ovens do you have would you recommend them?

We have now a hotpoint for oven (self clean)- but I've had major problems with this company over the years (already had 2 of their ovens). SO I am looking to stay away from hotpoint, unless someone can tell me how great theirs is. For a dishwasher I have no idea where ot start bec ours is treif- so far I've heard good things about bosch and frigidare, though.

Any help would really be appreciated, TIA.

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 8:04 pm
My advice is to make sure to get extended warranties on all your appliances. Appliances these days are not made like they used to be, they have lots of plasticy parts. Even if you get the fanciest oven or dishwasher - it will only make it more expensive to fix.

mommy24

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 8:08 pm
Thanks! that is good advise, I wish we had done that with our first HotPoint. WE had to get 2 ovens within 4 years, it was cheaper to end up getting a new oven then to get it fixed. This time we will definately be getting the extended warranties for all new appliances.

anonymom

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 9:36 pm
I have GE ovens and Kitchenaid Dishwashers. They're OK but nothing to write home about. One major problem with the stovetops is there are different size burners with dif. amounts of power, ie dif size flames, even one power boil, a very strong one. Sounds like a good thing, but here's the prob: I cannot fit a big pot on the back burners because it will touch the back wall and/or not be centered on the flame. I can only fit a big pot on the center (it has 5) or front. The center is a smallish burner, and the front burners worry me when I have little kids around. If I want to power boil, I would feel much more comfortable if it was in back, but instead it's in front. So even though I have 5 burners, I cant always use them the way I want. Also when I'm doing alot of cooking, it's hard to fit on all the pots. Two big ones don't really fit front and back and then with the dif size flames it makes it quite complicated.

The reason I got GE is because of Shabbos mode, and that has worked out pretty well. If you will be using the shabbos mode on Yom Tov to adjust the temp (subject of a recent debate among rabbonim), keep in mind that the controls with a button for each number (forgot what it's called) is easier to use than slew controls (up and down arrows) because with slew controls you have to remember what your current setting is.

cookielady

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 9:40 pm
I love my Frigidaire oven, Shabbos Mode and 3 racks. I am not as crazy about the Kitchen Aid Superba oven, also with Shabbos mode.

dainty diva

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 9:42 pm
anonymom, how's the dishwasher, and which model?

kesher

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 9:49 pm
Love our frig style that has the freezer on the bottom but doesn't have other fancy features to make Shabbos problems. My toddler grandson opens regular frigs more often than this style.

Love the convection option on my ovens. I have one gas and one electric. The electric has true convection with a coil and fan on the back wall of oven. Gas has a backwall fan but the element is still only on the bottom. Must have 12 shut off override or approved Shabbos mode.
Neither of my ovens can stay on convection mode (can stay on normal bake) over Shabbos and Yom Tov because the fan goes on and off when door of oven is opened. Smooth glass top can be hard to clean and is considered problematic for Pesach.

Dishwasher should have tall tub feature so that it can be loaded with oversized plates, platters and pots without the rotating shpritzer arm hitting the taller stuff and cracking the plastic arm.

kesher

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 9:58 pm
sorry, I meant 12 hour shutoff override

mommy24

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 9:48 am
thanks for all your replies everyone, it really helps out.

Cookielady, do you know the model number for the fridgedare?

tovarena

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 10:24 am
In general, I would recommend KitchenAid or Whirlpool for most appliances. I have a Whirlpool frig and dishwasher and LOVE them both. When I've needed service, they've been reasonably good about getting out quickly and not charging an arm and a leg.

I also have a GE oven and I would NOT NOT NOT recommend GEs anymore. I also got mine because of the shabbos mode. There are other brands, even if they may be slightly more expensive, that also are Star-K certified for their shabbos mode.

The GE I bought less than 2 years ago, the convection mode already burned out (last week, actually) causing the whole oven to not heat up correctly (it takes over 2 hours to come to 350). GE COMPLETELY messed up on the repair side. We called them before calling a local company. They promised they'd be out between 1 and 5 last Thursday. Starting at 4, I called every half hour. They kept telling me he's running late but he'll be there. They told me that over and over till suddenly at 7, they said, sorry it's too late, we can reschedule you for 1 to 5 tomorrow. Hello? 1 - it's erev shabbos and I don't need them showing up at 5 p.m. to start repairs. 2 - If they had to bump me because their guy was late, I believe I am entitled to first priority the next morning. I even called all the way up to the CEO's office and got NO assistance WHATSOEVER. (That's a long-standing trick of mine - when I don't get satisfaction from the main customer service and I feel they're really in the wrong, I speak with the admin to the CEO - 99.9% of the time they make it right - VERY quickly.)
I told my mom about what happened with GE and she told me that she's had almost identical issues with their customer service. Uch!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 10:46 am
I know some dishwashers come with many bells and whistles but I have a relatively simple one and it's fine. If I wee choosing a new one, I'm not sure I'd put the money into getting one with a wash and hold or pots or glass cycle.

We mostly run a quick cycle.

bubs

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 10:52 am
I just replaced my dishwasher with a new Kitchenaid and I love it. I really wanted a stainless steel model and it is really neat. However, stay away from suzero- they are expensive and not worth it. I have Jenn-Air stovetop which I also love. Look around and you can get great deals which means that you might get a higher end model for less than the store brands. Good luck.

MommyLuv

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 11:01 am
We got a Kenmore dishwasher that is really great....I can check the model if you want.

Besides for its excellent cleaning, it has this area in the back, an optional setting called Turbo Zone for really soiled pans..I stick my greasy, burnt-on Pyrex pans there, something that would usually need lots of scrubbing, and they come out sparkling.

mommy24

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 11:08 am
chocolate moose wrote:
I know some dishwashers come with many bells and whistles but I have a relatively simple one and it's fine. If I wee choosing a new one, I'm not sure I'd put the money into getting one with a wash and hold or pots or glass cycle.

We mostly run a quick cycle.

what brand do you have?

mommy24

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 11:10 am
bubs wrote:
I just replaced my dishwasher with a new Kitchenaid and I love it. I really wanted a stainless steel model and it is really neat. However, stay away from suzero- they are expensive and not worth it. I have Jenn-Air stovetop which I also love. Look around and you can get great deals which means that you might get a higher end model for less than the store brands. Good luck.

are you in the NY area? where do you order appliances from? we ahve aa couple of places that we have ordered from in the past, the prices were reasonable but it was always a hassel when delivering/installing. thanks.

mommy24

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 11:12 am
MommyLuv wrote:
We got a Kenmore dishwasher that is really great....I can check the model if you want.

Besides for its excellent cleaning, it has this area in the back, an optional setting called Turbo Zone for really soiled pans..I stick my greasy, burnt-on Pyrex pans there, something that would usually need lots of scrubbing, and they come out sparkling.

If you wouldn't mind I'd love the model number, a friend of mine also has a kenmore and very happy, and in Consumer reports it is one of the best rated. thanks.

dainty diva

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 11:24 am
ladies--MODELS PLEASE!!!

There are about 40 models of kitchen aid dishwashers and every brand makes a gazillion diff kinds, by posting "I love my frigidaire whatever" we are clueless by what ur talking 'bout!!

say, "I love my maytag cooktop, model1234xyz, and we"ll have a better idea!!

TIA

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 3:01 pm
Amana, I think.

boruchhashem

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 4:43 pm
My recommendation is to take everything at Sears with their extended warranty.

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 4:57 pm
boruchhashem wrote:
My recommendation is to take everything at Sears with their extended warranty.

I second that.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars