Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
A Detailed Potato Kuggel Recipe Pleeeeeeaaaaaaaase!!!!
1  2  Next

tziganka

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 1:47 am
Ladies, I’m desperate!

I was tempted to post this in the shalom bait section but decided last minute that it might be too dramatic. Here it goes; I can’t make a potato kuggel!!!!!

For the life of me I can’t. Mind you I’m not a bed cook. I’ve mastered many complicated recipes and love to entertain. I make Inadian food, Thai food, Japanese, you name it. If anyone is wondering on how to use an exotic spice chances are I can tell you. But potato kuggel has proven to be my Achilles’ heel. I can’t even describe to you the messes that I’ve made when trying to craft a decent kuggel. The problem is that my husband LOVES potato kuggel, I’m worried it’s gonna start causing problems if I don’t start producing them Crying . So here’s my plea, can someone please share their perfect potato kuggel recipe with me? I understand if you don’t want the whole world to know, us girls need our secrets, so you can PM me if you want. It would be an amazing chessed, You would literally be endearing me to my husband!

P.S The best potato kuggel that I have ever tasted was in New Square, and legend has it that all the women that live there use the same recipe. Something with squash I think. Anyway, if anyone has that specific recipe and would be willing to share it with me…I have no words on how grateful I would be.

pitzel

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 2:41 am
It's funny that you wrote this today, because I am also a decent cook but can't make a decent potato kugel. The local take-out place near us makes the best p.k. I've ever had - I treat myself once in a while, but it's very expensive. Today I was in this store and the chef happened to be out in the front, so I asked him if he ever gives out his kugel recipe - so I know you asked for detailed, but he couldn't give me exact numbers because he usually makes massive quantities. But you can give it a whirl
He uses 24lb of potatoes and 12 lb of onions - so you can reduce the proportions -and processes them together with salt pepper and a lot of margarine. Then bake. He said the secret was in using a lot of onion.
I hope to give it a shot soon...

Good luck!

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 2:48 am
Here's mine

2.5 kg potatoes
1 large or 2 small onions
5 tablespoons oil
5 eggs
1.5 t salt
pepper

peel and grate potatoes on the 'fine' grater.
squeeze out potato mush, very very well.
grate or mince onion.
mix in all other ingredients.

Bake at 180 deg Celsius for 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours.

grin

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 2:51 am
I davka don't press out the liquid but stir it back in before baking. good luck, whichever way you choose to try!

dainty diva

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 2:53 am
The secret of a good kugel--according to master chef, DH, is --please--no onions! He says it ruins the kugel!

ok, a typical chassidishe kugel goes s/t like this:

9 med-large idaho potatoes
6 xtra large eggs
1/4 cup seltzer--for fluff
hot oil
salt and/or pepper to taste

preheat oven to BROIL
cover the bottom of 9x13 foil bekele with oil
put in oven
beat the eggs
peel and grate potatoes
add to eggs with seltzer and spices
pour hot oil into mixture and mix instantly
return mixture to oven
bake on BROIL for about 20 min--top should turn golden brown
reduce heat to 450 and bake another hour.

reheating tip:
preheat oven to 250
on lower rack put bekele filled w/ water
on upper rack, place covered kugel in bekele
leave in oven till ready to serve.

hearty appetite and gut shabbos!

e1234

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 3:01 am
how many potatoes is 2.5 kg?

pinktichel

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 3:12 am
OP, I have the same issue as you and yes, it does qualify for Shalom Bayis section. Very Happy Dh absolutely adores potato kugel. I did find one recipe that is so easy (it calls for frying onions) and is THE only one that comes out just right. Let me know if you want me to post it... other ppl have posted some yummy looking recipes that you may want to try but I don't mind...

Tamiri

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 3:16 am
I think this is from the Kosher Palette:

LACY POTATO KUGEL
6 large potatoes, peeled (about 1 kg) 2 t. salt
2 onions, 1 medium, 1 large (about 300 g) pepper to taste
4 large eggs, lightly beated 1/4 c. potato starch
5.T. oil
1 cup boiling water 1/4 c. oil

Preheat oven to 500 Grate potatoes and onions togther (I use the fine shredder attachment on the food processor) and transfer to a large bowl.Stir in eggs, 5 T.oil, salt and pepper. Sprinkle starch on top. Pour boiling water over starch and stir thoroughly. Pour 1/4 c.oil into 13" x 9" baking pan and place in oven for 1 minute or until hot (do not burn). Bake 20 minutes, reduce heat to 400 and bake wo minutes or until deep golden brown. Yield: 12 servings

pinktichel

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 3:46 am
Tamiri wrote:
I think this is from the Kosher Palette:

LACY POTATO KUGEL
6 large potatoes, peeled (about 1 kg) 2 t. salt
2 onions, 1 medium, 1 large (about 300 g) pepper to taste
4 large eggs, lightly beated 1/4 c. potato starch
5.T. oil
1 cup boiling water 1/4 c. oil

Preheat oven to 500 Grate potatoes and onions togther (I use the fine shredder attachment on the food processor) and transfer to a large bowl.Stir in eggs, 5 T.oil, salt and pepper. Sprinkle starch on top. Pour boiling water over starch and stir thoroughly. Pour 1/4 c.oil into 13" x 9" baking pan and place in oven for 1 minute or until hot (do not burn). Bake 20 minutes, reduce heat to 400 and bake wo minutes or until deep golden brown. Yield: 12 servings

My SIL makes this and says it's fabulous... when I've tried, it's always come out gooey... not nice enough to cut Sad but good enough to spoon out before shabbos LOL

grin

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 7:38 am
e1234 wrote:
how many potatoes is 2.5 kg?

I use about 10 medium-sized potatoes for those amounts of the other ingredients.

supermama2

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 8:26 am
dainty diva wrote:
The secret of a good kugel--according to master chef, DH, is --please--no onions! He says it ruins the kugel!

ok, a typical chassidishe kugel goes s/t like this:

9 med-large idaho potatoes
6 xtra large eggs
1/4 cup seltzer--for fluff
hot oil
salt and/or pepper to taste

preheat oven to BROIL
cover the bottom of 9x13 foil bekele with oil
put in oven
beat the eggs
peel and grate potatoes
add to eggs with seltzer and spices
pour hot oil into mixture and mix instantly
return mixture to oven
bake on BROIL for about 20 min--top should turn golden brown
reduce heat to 450 and bake another hour.

reheating tip:
preheat oven to 250
on lower rack put bekele filled w/ water
on upper rack, place covered kugel in bekele
leave in oven till ready to serve.

hearty appetite and gut shabbos!

Do I have to cook in FOIL? I try to avoid cooking in aluminum..Will this recipe work w/ glass?

tovarena

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 8:51 am
My potato kugel recipe came from my dorm mother in high school. She made a HUGE pan of it every erev shabbos and we could smell it cooking throughout the entire dorm as we got back from school. She said she made it so we would come to get some so she could wish us each a good shabbos. So when I started making it, I was measuring it against hers. It took me quite some time to get it to where I thought I had a close approximation of hers, but even before that point, people LOVED my kugel. DH says it's the reason he married me LOL.

6 medium potatoes
1 medium onion
6 eggs
2 Tblsp. Salt
Pepper to taste (maybe 1 or 2 tsp.?)
Oil to cover bottom of pan
9x13 foil pan

The way I make this kugel is:

1. Preheat oven to 425
  2. Put oil in pan to just cover bottom.
  3. Prepare potatoes for the food processor - peel and cut into pieces that fit into the processor sleeve. Put in cold water.
  4. Break eggs and add salt and pepper to eggs.
  5. Put the onion in the food processor with the chopping blade. Finely chop. Leave onion in the bowl but remove the chopping blade. Put on the shredding blade and process all potatoes.
  6. Put foil pan into preheated oven
  7. Pout potatoes and onion into large mixing bowl. Stir egg mixture into potatoes and mix well.
  8. When oil is sizzling hot, take it out of the oven and QUICKLY pour mixture into pan (so the bottom starts cooking immediately).
  9. Return to 425 oven until the edges are just beginning to brown.
  10. Turn oven down to 350 for another hour to hour and a half, until top is completely browned.

tziganka

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 12:02 pm
I have no words. You guys are amazing!

Pink Tichal- Nu…I would love to see your recipe.

Tovarena- your recipe sounds like the most doable for me since I’m scared to put my oven on broil (DH did it once by accident and we couldn’t get it off of broil for two weeks. Two batches of burnt challas, and three burnt deserts). Do you squeeze out any of the liquid from the potatoes as many people suggest to do, or not? What exactly is the effect that squeezing out liquid gives? What’s the texture of this kuggel when it’s ready?

Dainty diva- I love your recipe but as I mentioned I’m very scared of broiling in my oven. However, fluff sounds like something I would definitely want in a potato kuggel. Do you think adding seltzer to another recipe would do the trick?

Tamiri- I don’t know if it’s the same recipe but I‘ve tried the kosher palate one and that’s precisely the one that made me feel like a failure. Kal Hakavod if you got it right, it sounds so yummy.

Finally- does anyone know what I’m talking about with adding squash to potato kuggel in order to make it really fluffy, almost creamy?

sky

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 12:11 pm
Personally I think the trick is in the food processor or grater.

I have a bosch food processor (there is no chopper blade inside) and I can never get the right potato consistency. My grandmother makes the most awesome potato kugel and I make her recipe but I just cannot copy the consistency (she does not use squash so it wouldn't help you)

And I totally understand the shalom bayis section - I can't image how dh would react if I didn't make p.k. for shabbos. But he just likes it - even if the consistency is not great.

dainty diva

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 12:15 pm
yes, it's true. a huge part of a successful potato kugel IS THE grater, and the best of the best is when it is done by hand w/ a grater. The bosch kugel blade is far better than the braun kugel blade, imo. dh can in an instant say which blade I used.

pinktichel

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 12:17 pm
2 T. plus 6 tsp. oil
3 medium onions
5 lbs. potatoes
1 1/2 T. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
5 eggs, lightly beaten

1. Preheat oven to 400
2. Chop onions and fry in 2 T. oil until clear
3. Place 6 tsp. oil in 9x13 pan and heat in oven for 5-7 minutes
4. Coarsely grate potatoes; rinse and squeeze out liquid
5. Add eggs, onions, salt and pepper to potatoes
6. Pour into pan with hot oil
7. Bake for 5 min and then reduce temperature to 350 for 30-40 min

I also make these in metal muffin pans. I get 24 potato kugel muffins. I put 1/4 tsp of oil in each muffin cup and do everything else the same. These muffins look really nice on a platter and make it more interesting than serving squares of kugel.

Good luck with whichever recipe you use!

tovarena

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 12:33 pm
tziganka wrote:
Tovarena- your recipe sounds like the most doable for me since I’m scared to put my oven on broil (DH did it once by accident and we couldn’t get it off of broil for two weeks. Two batches of burnt challas, and three burnt deserts). Do you squeeze out any of the liquid from the potatoes as many people suggest to do, or not? What exactly is the effect that squeezing out liquid gives? What’s the texture of this kuggel when it’s ready?

I don't squeeze out any liquid. But then, as I said, when I get to the potatoes, I'm using a shredding blade (long, thin pieces), not a grating blade. It looks something like this:

There really isn't much in the way of liquid at the point that I'm taking it out of the food processor. Later, after mixing, all liquid goes into the pan. The fluffiness, such as it is, comes from adding all the liquid in to cook. I suppose you could try this recipe with the grating blade, but I've never done it.

shoy18

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 12:34 pm
no onions definitely helps, so does fresh seltzer, and if you don't have that add boiling water.
a proper blade on the food processor is another big thing

dainty diva

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 12:39 pm
if the issue is that you fear BROIL, it's not a big deal, bake it continuously on 450 for 1 hr 20 min, not a major diff, just make sure the oven is well preheated.

ESB

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 12:59 pm
can my problem be that I grate the potatoes with a hand food processor?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes