Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Easy Apple Kugel??
Previous  1  2

ss321

Post Thu, Feb 19 2009, 7:00 am
SarahO. wrote:
muffinsmommy wrote:
1 c flour
1 c sugar
1 c oil
4 eggs
2 tsp baking powder

Slice 2 apples. Layer apples then half of above mixture and another layer of apples and the rest of the mixture. Sprinkle top with cinnamon and bake til golden/ knife comes out clean.

When I'm really short on time, I just dice the apples, mix everything up, sprinkle cin on top and bake.

Two apples are enough? Can I use three instead?

yea sure. doesnt really matter that much. if you use more apples (4) then double the recipe.

supermama2

Post Thu, Feb 19 2009, 8:15 am
Is it good at room temp. too?

baba

Post Sun, Jun 14 2009, 1:09 pm
livinginisrael wrote:
less oil in this recipe and amazing!!!

1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
4 eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder

sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar

I made this this shabbes (about an hour before shabbes I decided I still wanted to add something to my menu) and dh upgraded it to desert half way through the meal!

nicole81

Post Fri, Jul 10 2009, 1:05 pm
muffinsmommy wrote:
1 c flour
1 c sugar
1 c oil
4 eggs
2 tsp baking powder

Slice 2 apples. Layer apples then half of above mixture and another layer of apples and the rest of the mixture. Sprinkle top with cinnamon and bake til golden/ knife comes out clean.

When I'm really short on time, I just dice the apples, mix everything up, sprinkle cin on top and bake.

just wanted to say this is a big hit in my family. the first couple of times I made it in an 8x8 and it came out very tall. I found it rather cakey like this and didn't like it too much.

but then I baked it for a shorter time in a 2.2 qt casserole dish (a little narrower than the 8x8 but a lot longer) and the kugel came out flatter and moister with less "dough" in between each apple. absolutely phenomenal. my kids wouldn't touch the first one but now that I make it this way, they gobble it up. even my dh likes it, and he's not a fan of desserty foods.

OldYoung

Post Fri, Jul 10 2009, 3:00 pm
nicole81 wrote:
muffinsmommy wrote:
1 c flour
1 c sugar
1 c oil
4 eggs
2 tsp baking powder

just wanted to say this is a big hit in my family. the first couple of times I made it in an 8x8 and it came out very tall. I found it rather cakey like this and didn't like it too much.

but then I baked it for a shorter time in a 2.2 qt casserole dish (a little narrower than the 8x8 but a lot longer) and the kugel came out flatter and moister with less "dough" in between each apple. absolutely phenomenal. my kids wouldn't touch the first one but now that I make it this way, they gobble it up. even my dh likes it, and he's not a fan of desserty foods.

Desserty foods- I like that!!!! LOL Didn't have a whole lot of those growing up because my father is not a fan, but my husband is so I get to have fun with them!

thatslife

Post Fri, Jul 10 2009, 3:49 pm
its so funny I make the exact same recipe, I just use four cups of flour. (on peasch I use potato starch and its just as yummy) I though add lemon juice and cinimion and sugar to the apples. and if I want to be very fancy I use a pie filling can. and I layer in a 9*13 crumb mixture filling crumb mixture apples crumb mixture. bake an hour till bubbly and yummy!! its great hot and cold.

Mevater

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 1:12 pm
I think Ill try one of these recipes, but any other recipes that top these, in the last 10+ years, for an easy amazing Apple Kugel?

Chayalle

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 1:31 pm
I use a similar crumb recipe to ones posted here. My key to a great apple crumble (thanks to my fabulous SIL) is to dice the apple really small. I core it, and then we put it thru my chopper on the finer dice.

I then combine the apples with a can of cranberries (either the jellied or not, all good.) Crumbs on bottom and on top. Yum!

During COVID when we were getting tons of boxes and I had a few cans of peaches, I tried pureeing the peaches and combining with apples, in place of cranberries. Was delicious.

Mevater

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 2:00 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I use a similar crumb recipe to ones posted here. My key to a great apple crumble (thanks to my fabulous SIL) is to dice the apple really small. I core it, and then we put it thru my chopper on the finer dice.

I then combine the apples with a can of cranberries (either the jellied or not, all good.) Crumbs on bottom and on top. Yum!

If you have an exact recipe for apple Crumb Kugel with no cranberry sauce (I find it too sweet), Id love that. I can probably just double the apples.

Mevater

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 2:02 pm
livinginisrael wrote:
less oil in this recipe and amazing!!!

1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
4 eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder

sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar

Everything gets mixed?

How many apples (sliced or chopped?)?

Chayalle

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 2:08 pm
Mevater wrote:
If you have an exact recipe for apple Crumb Kugel with no cranberry sauce (I find it too sweet), Id love that. I can probably just double the apples.

Crumble:
3 cups flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup canola oil
1 large egg
1 tsp baking powder

I probably use about 4-5 apples. I wouldn't double the apples, that would probably be too much.
I've done w/o cranberries. I like to put in a little lemon juice in that case, and some cinnamon.

ETA I usually make a few at a time. Like my girls will peel a dozen apples or so and chop them for me. I'll double the crumble, and make like 3-4 round disposable pans with apple crumble. Cover and freeze them raw. I take them from the freezer directly to my oven, uncovered, on Friday, and bake for about an hour or so till crisp and bubbling.

tovay

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 2:15 pm
This is a little different type of apple kugel. Used grated apple
3 large apples
4 eggs
1 cup oil
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
Grate apples, add rest of ingredients and mix well.
Pour into 2 small greased loaves. Bake at 160 for an hour till golden brown.
I serve it as a side dish but also have done it as a dessert with a spoonful of whipped cream.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Dec 24 2021, 2:18 pm
That sounds yummy Tovay. I'm done for this week but may try it next week.

sbs

Post Sat, Dec 25 2021, 6:56 pm
for any apple crisp I make, we like the apples very soft and mushy,
so I slice them and mix with some cinnamon, sugar, and corn starch and bake covered for about half hour,
then I add the topping and bake again

here's my best receipe

apples
strawberry pie filling

topping
1 cup flour
1 stick margarine
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar

bake as directed above to soften the apples, dollop strawberry pie filling on top, add topping
bake on 350 for 35 minutes until browned

Mevater

Post Sat, Dec 25 2021, 7:24 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Crumble:
3 cups flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup canola oil
1 large egg
1 tsp baking powder

I probably use about 4-5 apples. I wouldn't double the apples, that would probably be too much.
I've done w/o cranberries. I like to put in a little lemon juice in that case, and some cinnamon.

Thanks! For this amount what size tins do you use for either smaller kugels or one large one?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes