Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Jewish Children's Museum - good for almost 2 yo?

anon

Post Fri, Jan 16 2009, 12:27 am
My son is a typically developing almost 2 year old (B'H). I'm sure there are plenty of things at the jewish children's museum (in Crown Heights) that would be too mature for him. But I wanted to know if there would be enough things that he would really enjoy at this age, which would make it worth the time and money.

TIA!

zigi

Post Fri, Jan 16 2009, 12:51 am
he might like the grocery store. and the big challa. admission is free for under 2 years old. I was thinking of taking my 20 month son there. when I took dd she was also 20 months but I was with her brother too he was older and could stay with something longer than she could. but if you are one on one it should be fun

mummy-bh

Post Fri, Jan 16 2009, 5:11 am
Oh, I would love to take my twins! (22 months)

They are so 'into' shabbos now, I'd love to see them climbing all over the shabbos display!

Only the small issue of 3,500 miles is stopping us! Wink

ganizzy

Post Fri, Jan 16 2009, 2:44 pm
I think the museum is great, but theres not a ton of stuff for that age. theres the challa, dancing around the tree with the torah, dressing up for purim, the grocery store, watching the shavuos scene, and then upstairs putting those big coins in the slots and putting the sticks into that black thing.

I took my kids when my dd was 2 1/2 and she overall enjoyed it.

downstairs there is arts and crafts, a game show, a video, and a library

anon

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 9:27 pm
ganizzy wrote:
I think the museum is great, but theres not a ton of stuff for that age. theres the challa, dancing around the tree with the torah, dressing up for purim, the grocery store, watching the shavuos scene, and then upstairs putting those big coins in the slots and putting the sticks into that black thing.

That actually does sound like a lot of stuff. Are all the things you mentioned above good for 2 year olds?

bubby

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 11:21 pm
You could call & ask.

qeenB

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 11:51 pm
I think it is geared for kids a little older. that said I have taken my kids when they were two because I was taking my older ones also. they enjoyed it but I wouldn't specifically take only a two year old. however the museum is a nice experience for adults also.

ganizzy

Post Sun, Jan 18 2009, 2:13 am
anon wrote:
ganizzy wrote:

That actually does sound like a lot of stuff. Are all the things you mentioned above good for 2 year olds?

I only mentioned the stuff that are good for 2 yr olds.

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 11:08 am
Bumping this up since I'm looking for something to do on Sunday, Jan 28th when my kids have mid-winter vacation. I am interested in hearing about your experience there. Is this a good museum to visit for kids ages 12 to 1? Will it be too babyish for my 12 year old? How many hours are needed for this visit? Thank you.

cnc

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 11:23 am
It's an excellent museum for all ages. I've spent an entire full day there (at least 5 hours) although it wasn't necessary. You should definitely count on at least a couple of hours . I enjoy it as an adult so I think a twelve year old would enjoy it.

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 12:04 pm
I wouldn't bother for a kid younger than 2. My DD did have a good time when she was a bit under 2, but that was because we went with her sister a couple of years older. Same general area Brooklyn Children's Museum has much more for that age.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 12:08 pm
Just so you know its pretty expensive. I didnt find that I got my money's worth.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 3:50 pm
As a previous poster pointed out-the Brooklyn Children's Museum right nearby is perfect for toddlers. There is a huge section that is only for kids 5 and under. Save the Jewish Children's Museum till he/she is older.

octopus

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 5:04 pm
The arts and crafts is great for 12 year old. and find out if there is going to be a game show when you go (call them beforehand). The newer exhibits on the top floor are also geared (I feel) for the older bunch.

HeartyAppetite

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 6:58 pm
I took my 18 month old and he loved it. He is mature for his age. He enjoyed coloring in the arts and crafts section. He loved the grocery store, the play area. He enjoyed the challah tunnel. And he was also fascinated by all the displays with music and lights.

yidisheh mama

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 7:08 pm
The Brklyn Childrens Museum is great for that age (and younger)

cnc

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 7:13 pm
To all those replying about a two year old... The original poster (8 years ago) is the one that asked about a two year old. Someone else bumped this thread asking about children ages 1-12.

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 8:36 am
Thanks so much for all your replies. These are helpful!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics