Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Playgroup decisions.....

myfriends715

Post Sun, Jan 18 2009, 10:21 pm
ok I feel so lost.. kinda like stuck and just dont know what to do

here is the sit. my twins' will iy"h b 2 sept 5 (which is prob right around the 1st day of school) I work mostly afternoons. we have a babysitter now that e/o loves but she needs a full time job so.. here are my questions

1. do I have to send to playgroup?
2. should I start Sept. or Jan?
3. is it worth it if I need a babysitter anyway?
4. how is my babysitter gonna pick up the kids from playgroup?
5. are there any other playgroups besides Morah Esthers that run till 5- I think she has too many kids?
6. what are pros and cons of sending?
7.do my kids lose out by not going?
8. which playgroup should I sned to (not closed out please)
9. should I just leave them at home and make sure they have playdates and maybe a weekly music class'
10. am I putting my kids at a disadvantage for getting into schools if I dont send to playgroup

OMG HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I live in Manhattan Beach- anywhere in bp or flatbush is fine

octopus

Post Sun, Jan 18 2009, 10:49 pm
your kids will not be at a disadvantage for not going to playgroup at 2. I see that either ppl send to playgroup or they have babysitters at this age. The question is- can a babysitter handle 2 year old twins?

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jan 18 2009, 10:53 pm
It's a feeling thing. First of all-they have each other to entertain. You have to decide on your own if your kids need it, if it works out better for you....

nicole81

Post Sun, Jan 18 2009, 11:01 pm
I don't know if this is too far for you, but I send dd to a great place in canarsie, less than 5 minutes from the belt parkway exit at rockaway parkway. they're certified and have the option of keeping your kids til 5pm. just a bit expensive...

I kept my kids both at home with a sitter, and have sent them out, and both options worked well with me. I like sending them out personally because I like them learning about the parshas, having shabbos parties, etc... stuff I'm really bad with. but if the cost is the same, if you'd rather keep them home, why not? there really are no disadvantages.

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, Jan 18 2009, 11:08 pm
I don't believe your children will be missing anything. They have each other and they will still be very young for school in my opinion.

gold21

Post Sun, Jan 18 2009, 11:49 pm
I think that playgroup til 5 pm is waaay too long of a day. So if you're considering doing that (to avoid having to have to hire a babysitter for after playgroup), I recommend strongly against that. Really, kids at that age need a home setting for at least half a day. Ya know, one on one (or one on two) attention.

My son is in playgroup for 4 hours a day and that is a great amnt for him. He looooves it BH! But any more than that and I genuinely think he would become overstimulated and cranky.

If you can work out a situation where the kids go to playgroup and a babysitter picks them up and brings them home, or a playgroup mommy carpools them home, I think that would really be ideal for you guys.

But if its a decision between playgroup all day or a babysitter all day? No question in my mind, the home setting wins.

They're twins after all, and can develop social skills between themselves.

Hatzlocha rabah!!!

tziganka

Post Mon, Jan 19 2009, 1:36 am
nicole81 wrote:
I don't know if this is too far for you, but I send dd to a great place in canarsie, less than 5 minutes from the belt parkway exit at rockaway parkway. they're certified and have the option of keeping your kids til 5pm. just a bit expensive...

I kept my kids both at home with a sitter, and have sent them out, and both options worked well with me. I like sending them out personally because I like them learning about the parshas, having shabbos parties, etc... stuff I'm really bad with. but if the cost is the same, if you'd rather keep them home, why not? there really are no disadvantages.

What's the name/number/contact for this group?

Leahh

Post Mon, Jan 19 2009, 11:17 am
My DD will be 2 in septemeber also.
I was thinking of sending her to playgroup next september when she's 3.
I just spoke to someone who has a child the same age as mine and she is sender hers this coming year - at age 2. She said she was told most kids go by age 2 and according to playgorup morahs they get a tone of phone calls over the summer to send their children in the summer cuz thats when they wake up that they want to send their 2 yr old.
I didn't go to playgroup until I was 3.
The thought of sending my DD is freaking me out. I think I will stay with my original plan and wait till she's 3.
There is no reason to push her to go and force her to grow up so soon eventhough she may really enjoy it. I send her to a babysitter for a few hours a week and there are other kids there so she has 'friends' to play with. I am not ready to send her to 'school'.
If you are going to send your kids to playgroup and still need a babysitter how will that work out monitarily? Thats alot of money!!!!!

nicole81

Post Mon, Jan 19 2009, 6:44 pm
tziganka wrote:
nicole81 wrote:

What's the name/number/contact for this group?

they're called the gan jewish daycare. the # is (718) 968-7575. ask for yaffit, though I don't think she's in this week.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jan 19 2009, 6:58 pm
where I live no one sends their kids to playgroup until 2.5 or 3 (3 more often) unless they are working.

gold21

Post Mon, Jan 19 2009, 8:26 pm
In neighborhoods where the 2 year olds mostly stay home, its fine to keep your 2 year old home. After all, there are tons of available playdates.

However, in a place where most 2 year olds are in playgroup, it could be unwise to keep your child home, as the choices for playdates will be very limited. All the potential playdates will be at playgroup.

myfriends715

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 9:17 am
thanx everyone: I still dont really know what to do..

nicole- I also really want them to learn things and since my babysitter isnt jewish she obviously cant teach them brachos alef beis etc.

what do parents that work do? most ppl. work till after 2 how do they handle this?

does anyone know any playgroup that has afternoon hrs?
I know its better for kids to have some home time.. but is it better to be home all day or playgroup all day??

still confused!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics