Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Jerusalem Hotel Inquiry

kenz

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 11:57 am
I'm from Brooklyn and eat chalav Yisrael and shop in stores that have only chassidishe shechitas. We do eat cereals, snacks, etc., that are not necessarily Pas Yisrael (Wise chips, Cheerios, etc.). Which hotels in Yerushalayim would I be comfortable eating in kashrus-wise? I haven't been there in many years and in those days, just for reference, when there was still a LaRomme, I would not have eaten there, but Plaza was considered okay.
I'm thinking of a trip soon and would like to know where to consider staying - include all levels of hotels, please.
Thanks for your help in advance! Very Happy

Grandmama

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 3:25 pm
There are many choices today. Ramada/Renaissance is very heimish and beautiful. Prices have gone up considerably. My choice now is an apartment for $80. To $90. A night. (half the price of ramada).

kenz

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 3:33 pm
I don't want an apartment because it's my first trip in more than 12 years, I want to go out and come back to a neat room, freshly made bed, etc. I think the Ramada is kind of away from things, isn't it? If you don't rent a car it becomes inconvenient.

Grandmama

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 3:41 pm
I usually rent a car. But a monit into town is not expensive and it's a few minutes away. Where do you want to be? Which area? I am just no longer ready to pay that price when the beds are old and uncomfortable and I can buy my own breakfast. Shabbos meals have also become quite expensive. They have a nice crowd and the right hashgacha. This time I will try one of the more than 20 ads in hamodia for small apartments near geula. I hope it works out well.

ffbmom

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 5:57 pm
I actually was there a month ago and stayed in an apartment that was centrally located for $85 a night. My reasoning was that I wanted a fridge and stove an living area, not just one room. If you want a hotel, the Plaza is amazing. It has a good hechsher (Mehadrin), is very close to the Kotel, has great food and the service can't be beat. it also has not one, but two Shabbos elevators that each stop on every other floor. We stayed there for Shabbos and it was a great experience. I have a name of someone who can get a deal in any hotel. Pm me if you are interested.

kenz

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 6:31 pm
Thanks, ffb - just pm'd you!

kenz

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 6:42 pm
Grandmama, I will probably there at least one Shabbos, maybe two, so I want it within walking distance to the Kosel, town, etc. Ramada is pretty out of things from what I recall, walking at least.
Normally I'd have the same mindset regarding $ but it's been so long I want it to be a really nice trip. Also last time I was there we rented an apartment and it was very unpleasant, to say the least. No a.c. and it was very hot, the person we rented from said it would be completely different than it was, etc. It left a sour taste in my mouth.
I also thought the Plaza made sense but my DH said he heard it has become very run-down - any truth to that?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics