Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Florida Keys (Key West)

ESB

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 7:13 am
Im going to the key west for a few days. Anyone ever there? Besided bars and clubs what else is there to do there? It seems like everyone is at the beach all day and at night you drink. IS that right?

bubby

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 7:59 am
Oh my gosh...snorkeling. I did it in a tichel & full length robe...amazing! Glass Bottomed Boat trips, wander round the old town, tour Ernest Hemingway's house, take a horse & buggy trip round the town (ask the driver to show you the Jewish section), shop, people watch. There are lots of Israelis there & of course, Chabad, loads to do, but all lazy & relaxing. Have fun.

dainty diva

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 9:41 am
I went parasailing, visited almost every spot on "old town" and how dare u forget---SUNSET! I watched it twice in mallory square and once on a glass bottom boat on the gulf--pure awesome! u have to be at the square an hour b4 sunset, the street performers there r amazing--thousands of ppl r there every night! there are pirate museums, ripply's believe-it-or-not, the lighthouse, butterfly garden, zachary taylor park ,to name a few. wish I can go back soon!
BTW, will u b driving down? if u will, leave early in the day, the views are spectacular, and allow urself about 4 hrs, so u"ll make it on time to sunset. Also, on the way back stop at bahia honda park in islamorada, beautiful!

ESB

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 11:01 am
Thanx tons Dainty. Im writing everything down.

dainty diva

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 11:11 am
try to stay in a waterfront hotel in old town so u can park ur car and walk...old town is about 2 miles. we stayed in the southernmost hotel chain, check them out by googling.

and how did I forget? don't forget to get ur photo at mile marker zero (u"ll understand after driving 4 hrs down on the 2-way 1-lane highway US1 and seeing the #'s on the mile marker signs go down..)and a photo of the stump at the southernmost point of the US, just 90 miles from Cuba!

and about food---BRING YOUR OWN! we survived w/ a sandwich maker, some rolls and cheese and fruit and stuff.

dainty diva

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 11:17 am
one more thing, ESB, if u end up going, stop by at sloppy joe's. they have a live webcam outside where ppl stop and call their friends to go online, then they wave hi! to them!

DH loves to check it out periodically from home to get the "feel" of key west!

bubby

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 1:28 pm
How could I forget the sunset @ Mallory Square & all the amazing street entertainers?! It's so much fun!!

ESB

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 1:55 pm
Dainty I saw the 90 miles from cuba stump. I told dh this morning there we have to take a pic but dont know why. Now I know.

I am taking along my own food. Im staying in Westin I think its sout not sure. Its water front. Its a block away from Duvel. Good enough?

Thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate it.

dainty diva

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 2:15 pm
perfect, duval is the main street of old town! it really never sleeps--walk out 4:00 am and it looks like 4:00pm, enjoy your stay!

lostIma

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 3:26 pm
hey are you bringing food?? If not theres an excellent little homey place called "mam's best food" Shes the sweetest Israeli lady and makes yummy food of alll kinds... parve and fleishigs.... 405 petronia St. 305-896-0923 we did breakfast and dinner there.... was really good!! also not expensive

ESB

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 9:05 pm
Im bringing food but if I get bored of it I will call her. I saved the info. thanx!

dainty diva

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 1:58 am

click on the pics to see them larger, ans yes, it's the 2 of us up there in that parasail...

dainty diva

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 10:21 am
the bottom pic is from the 7 mile bridge, but not the entire drive is like this. a lot is driving thru quaint marine villages.

semandbeyond

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 10:44 am
Thinking about going on vacation to the Florida Keys in May. Are the beaches very busy then? Would be the week before Memorial Day but my husband won't come if there are a lot of people on the beach... Also, how did you get there? Do you drive from Ft. Lauderdale or go direct?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics