Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Boston . . .

Mommy F.

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 12:08 pm
We're always thinking about where we will move in about a year and a half from now. I was wondering if anyone knows about the community in Boston.

How many frum shuls are there?
How many kosher restaurants?
What are the schools like?
Is the community friendly?

Let me know if you live there or know anything about it.

Shalshelet

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 12:42 pm
I used to live there. Not sure which part of boston you're looking into. There's Brookline, Brighton, Newton, and Cambridge which have jewish communities. I've always felt that Boston has more of a transient feel to it - it's college central - but the people who do live there long term are very warm.

There are several shuls in Brighton/Brookline area:
Bostoner Rebbe's shul
Chabad House of Greater Boston
Young Israel of Brookline
Chaye Odom

to name a few.

There is also a kollel and a tzefardi minyan.

Regarding restaurants, I haven't been there in a number of years, but they had one or two chinese places, a pizza/milchig place, a kosher grocery store, and even a judaica book store on Harvard St. in Brookline.

Brookline has more of a YI feel, Brighton has more of a baalabusta feel.

There are two schools I know of: Maimonides, which is more YI/YUish, and Torah Academy, which is more yeshivish. There is also a mesifta for boys and a girls high school as well.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 1:03 pm
There's also New England Hebrew Academy, the Lubavitch preschool/elementary school, but there is a real mix of people going there, I would say maybe 50/50 Lubavitch and not. Excellent school! No high school though. Maimonides has a high school (co-ed) and there is a yehivish mesivta and Beis Yaakov high school for girls.

The Chabad House of Greater Boston is in the college area, but there is a Chabad shul in Brighton.

The restaurants come and go, most of them are on Harvard Street in Brookline, as Shalshelet mentioned.

what else do you want to know?

Starhavah

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 1:32 pm
I used to live in Boston and the Orthodox community there is very nice.

I haven't lived there for 10 years, but I still have fond memories and good friends who are there.

Torah Academy was started by the Bostoner Rebbe. Many yeshivish people send their children there, but the entire Bostoner community goes there.

Some of this information about the shuls might be a bit out of date, but probably is still mostly good.

Shaare Tefillah - Newton Centre - Modern Ortho.
There is a another Newton Centre Ortho shul, but I forgot its name.

Kadima Toras Moshe - Brighton - Shul of Rabbi Halfinger the Av Beis Din when I lived there. The Brighton/Brookline mikva is on its grounds. I know they have a new younger Rabbi now, but I do not know him.

There were 2 Sephardi shuls when I was there.

If you are interested in a more suburban feel there is Sharon. Sharon is a south suburb of Boston. There is a Young Israel there. The Rabbi has an affinity for Carlebach davening. I think they do a Carlebach Shabbos once a month. There is a south side solomon Schechter Day School, but I am not sure if there is a south side Ortho. Day School. There is also a JCC in Sharon and there (used to be at least) kosher restaurants and bakeries.

Feel free to PM me if you want me to pass contact info to friends who still live there.

Star Havah

zigi

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 1:35 pm
the other newton centre shul is beth el

jemappelle

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 9:56 pm
iirc in brookline there is also a fairly large kosher supermarket with takeout etc.....not all products like in ny but pretty good for "out of town"! the restaurants seemed to open and close though, some years better, some years worse

amother

Post Mon, Jan 26 2009, 12:24 am
Starhavah wrote:

If you are interested in a more suburban feel there is Sharon. Sharon is a south suburb of Boston. There is a Young Israel there. The Rabbi has an affinity for Carlebach davening. I think they do a Carlebach Shabbos once a month. There is a south side solomon Schechter Day School, but I am not sure if there is a south side Ortho. Day School. There is also a JCC in Sharon and there (used to be at least) kosher restaurants and bakeries.

In Sharon there is also a Chabad shul & preschool, small Chabad community. The Young Israel has a preschool & elementary school (Striar Hebrew Academy). There is a mikvah in Sharon. The JCC is closing & becoming a YMCA. Closest kosher restaurants are in Stoughton, about 10-15 minutes away - falafel, etc. Beyond that it's Brookline-Newton for kosher shopping & dining.

Sharon is very diverse & friendly - quiet & safe.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Jan 26 2009, 12:48 am
Don't forget it's cooooooold. DH was just there in from NJ and he nearly froze his ears off.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 26 2009, 2:01 am
Well, right now the temp is below average - it's been a cold spell - there are usually a few during the winter but apparently your dh was here when it's been unusually cold. Boston is like NY, so yeah, there is winter.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Jan 26 2009, 2:02 am
Just this past Thursday. And he ate at the chinese/Asian(?) place and was pleased.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 26 2009, 2:05 am
Right, like I said - we've been having record cold temps - sorry he had to deal with that! But it's been below average, even for Boston.

princessleah

Post Mon, Jan 26 2009, 8:31 am
I grew up in Boston and just loved it. I think there is something really nice being in a smaller community, and there was definitely much less materialism than I have seen in NY. There is, however, much more intellectual one-upmanship.
I went to Maimonides and we davened frequently at the Bostoner Rebbe's shul. It didn't feel weird at all. Just a nice, open, diverse community.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 13 2009, 5:02 pm
We also may relocate to the Boston area. Actually, we started out there and my husband grew up in Stoughton.

Doing some research, I notice that there are many more Chabad houses in communities around boston now. Also, in addition to the New England Hebrew Academy, there seems to be two schools called Shaloh House -- one in Stoughton and one in Brookline. Can anyone comment on these schools? They look to be Chabad oriented but they are in addition to the NEHA. I would like to find out more.

If we were in Brookline/Newton area we'd likely choose Torah Academy, but if we are farther out we'd go for anything school wise that has a heimish approach, and particularly Chabad, as long as it's a really Torah-centered choice.

If anyone has any deeper info on the schools etc. it would be most welcome!

alleyleeza

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 11:17 am
There is a strong possibility of us relocating to Boston. I have read the posts. Has anyone heard of Malden? Looked it up and it seems like a reasonably priced option. Don't know the Hashkafa there. Any insights or info regarding homes, locations etc would be so appreciated.

Mommy F.

Post Fri, Aug 28 2009, 12:16 pm
Thanks for everyone's information.

alleyleeza here's a site I found about Malden: http://www.movetomalden.org/
It seems like a great deal.

Let me know if you find more information about Malden,
we may be interested in moving there too!

alleyleeza

Post Sat, Aug 29 2009, 10:53 pm
It turns out my husband couldn't continue to commute between our small midwest city and Boston so he has no job right now! We are not moving and are in a very unstable situation! Because he left the job we don't qualify for unemployment so we have nothing coming in to help pay the bills! It is very frightening and we need tefillos! I daven that anyone in this kind of situation should find parnassa tova and be matzliach in all their endevours! May we all merit the return to Yerushalaim with mashiach b'mhara!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating