Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Why does snow make me bake?

elisecohen

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 6:03 am
Why is it when it snows I want to bake? Last night I made snickerdoodles, now I have bread rising and I want to bake more! B"H I don't eat it all, I feed it to the kids and DH, but what is it that inspires this? And (more to the point) what can you all suggest I bake next LOL Question

Oh, we have about a foot here outside of Washington DC! DH took a shovel along to shacharis to be sure they could open up the shul doors!

Mommy912

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 6:21 am
Me too! I just made my kids a big cooked breakfast with pancakes etc..
Does anyone have a good hot-cocoa recipe? I usually just heat up milk and chocolate powder in the microwave.

AweSumThenSum

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 6:41 am
elise, purim is right around the corner so here are two suggestions:
1- bake stuff for your mishloach manos
2- bake stuff for MY mishloach manos. I planned on making the oatmeal cookies recipe that' son the inside cover of quaker oats oatmeal, so if ure bored and in the mood of baking, feel free to bake 25 dozens for me, ok?

elisecohen

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 6:46 am
Sorry, I made that recipe for Shabbos, got 5 dozen cookies out of one recipe, and they all disappeared over Shabbos! That's why I was baking more cookies Saturday night...but my 1 year old likes the oatmeal cookies better than the snickerdoodles so maybe I will have to make more--but there's no way they'll last til Purim.

shopaholic

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 7:11 am
I have a family simcha coming up, so I'm taking advantage of the weather & baking as much as I can. Hope I don't run out of ingredients. Theres at least a foot here! And, I wanted to get out later to the KSCVK auction. We'll see what happens.

goldrose

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 8:15 am
Quote:
I wanted to get out later to the KSCVK auction. We'll see what happens.

oh my, devorah must be so worried about people showing up!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 9:08 am
that's funny, as kids we always baked ...cookies, brownies..........

queen

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 9:14 am
elise- you sound like you are baking up a storm! Feel free to send some my way. Without doubt it'll all be finished!

mompete

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 1:39 pm
That is so funny! It's blizzarding here in ny and I'm in my kitchen baking bread! I thought it was just me! Very Happy

queen

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 1:48 pm
Elise's storm is REALLY spreading!!

queen

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 1:49 pm
on that note- as soon as baby finishes nursing- I'm back in the kitchen baking cinn. buns

chen

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 6:46 pm
Isn't it obvious why? You don't want to/can't go out; you need to feel productive in some way; washing windows is out of the question; the house is cold, so you want to do something "cozy," that will also warm up the house, and your body craves carbs: Hey, presto: Bake! Which this time of year has the added mayleh of using up chometz so you can consider it part of pesach cleaning Wink .

elisecohen

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 4:29 am
Well, I made cookies again but they didn't come out (pout), so I made chocolate monkey bread for the kids to eat this morning (b'H they do have school but starting late). I still have to make more cookies today though because the baby has eaten all we have; well, there's one left but that'll be gone soon. As far as I'm concerned if I make homemade cookies with whole wheat flour, whole grain oatmeal, eggs, and a little sugar it's as healthy or unhealthy as their eating breakfast cereal or "protein" bars for breakfast, so why not?! Enjoy the baking all you shut-ins up the NE coast of the US today (I know parts of our area and NY got 24" of snow yesterday).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen