Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What is the best mixer for challah ????
1  2  Next

MRN

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 3:26 pm
Any suggestions appreciated.

MOM222

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 3:32 pm
The Bocsh with the silver bowl.

red sea

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 3:36 pm
From the cheaper priced american made machines the kitchen aide classic one is supposed to be the best, I don't know about the european brands might be better.

MRN

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 3:40 pm
when used for a 5lb bag. Supposedly the motor isn't strong enough. Is this true???

MOM -- where did you buy your Bosch or did you get it as a gift? Did you consider the magic mill?

red sea

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 3:50 pm
Well you said any suggestions so I just repeated what someone else told me, I am not a huge challah baker, but I did a quick search and it looks like the kitchen aid, delonghi, and the bosch, are the most widely liked.

red sea

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 3:51 pm
oops-must've double clicked Very Happy

Last edited by red sea on Sun, Feb 12 2006, 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

shoy18

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 4:03 pm
I have a magic mill, With a silver ball also. It works great for challah

MOM222

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 4:21 pm
MRN wrote:
when used for a 5lb bag. Supposedly the motor isn't strong enough. Is this true???

MOM -- where did you buy your Bosch or did you get it as a gift? Did you consider the magic mill?

I bought it in a jewish store that sells appliences. It cost me about 300 USD but that was a few years ago. Make sure to buy the silver bowl also. They also sell a blender and a few more pieces. I only wanted that one- my mother, aunts, sisters... all have it and love it.

queen

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 4:22 pm
I use my bosch.... w/ white plastic bowl. s/t the flour comes out a little even w/ lid when making 5 lbs.

mom232why do you say specifically w/ metal bowl? I have both but didn't know what the diff was.

chavamom

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 6:48 pm
Magic Mill is best for large amounts.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 7:48 pm
I like to do two batches in my bread machine, and my neighbor does, too.

ektsm

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 8:03 pm
I like the Bosch it is very expensive but is the biggest out there. I got the magic meal for my wedding and 15 years later I replaced it with a Bosch which holds a lot more dough.

Chanie

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 11:09 am
MRN wrote:

I wish I knew that before I bought the kitchenaid. My dh asked me what type I wanted, and I heard that the kitchenaid is easier and cheaper to get parts for. The actually machine was almost the same price as the bosch.
The motor stops almost every time I make challah.

PIP

Post Mon, Mar 20 2006, 10:03 pm
queen, the plastic bowl is meant for like cakes and stuff. I guess the silver one is stronger? wont make a diff how the challah turns out though. I LOVE my bosch. THey say a magic mill is also great, but heavier. But if you have a bocsch make sure you dont turn your machine to number 3 speed. YOU CAN BREAK YOU MACHINE THAT WAY!!! Leave it on number 2.

MOM222

Post Tue, Mar 21 2006, 3:42 pm
queen wrote:

mom232why do you say specifically w/ metal bowl? I have both but didn't know what the diff was.

Sorry I just noticed this.

The metal bowl has a dough hook that kneads dough very well and it is a bigger bowl than the white bowl.
The white bowl I use for small doughs like a pie dough, but for any yeast dough I use the silver one.

koolmother

Post Tue, Mar 21 2006, 3:46 pm
kitchen aid is the best mixer for everything

girlsmom

Post Tue, Mar 21 2006, 3:51 pm
I have a kitchen aid that I use for cakes but I like doing challa best by hand

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 21 2006, 4:09 pm
The thing is, a mixer with a big enough motor to do the job in one step will cost you a week's salary, whereas a bread machine will run you 50-80 bucks...AND you get a pareve oven in there, too!

MOM222

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 2:40 pm
Yeh But it doesn't make enough to feed my family + guest

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 2:53 pm
I make a double recipe if I want to take challah. you can do three if you want.

then you can also make them differently, if you want to - such as one with raisins, one plain and one with sauteed onions.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen