Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Binah's serial- Taking Flight
1  2  Next

ClaRivka

Post Thu, Jan 29 2009, 7:22 pm
Its making me sick!

I kno its abt PPD and ive never gone threw it but as a story its sooo stupid and frustrating! I just read last weeks and they went to their rav and he said to go to a jewish theraist. He gave them names and when she walked out she tore it up. She has no emunas chachamim and she thinks of societal idiocies! She cant go to a frum therapist bc she might tell! theyre all confidential! shes such an idiot!!

queen

Post Thu, Jan 29 2009, 7:31 pm
It pains me when author writes the roll-plays the kids do, and shows how the older (although still little!) kids are taking care and 'mommy'ing the little ones.

I wouldn't put the author in the black so fast. I believe she is tapping into a truth. People are afraid of stigmatism, especially in such a close knit community.

ClaRivka

Post Thu, Jan 29 2009, 7:35 pm
wheres the family? Lakewood? its a huge place! maybe one of the therapists was part of a different neighborhood.

yea, when she saw how the kids were dealing with it and she said that that must be what the rabbi meant when he said other ppl know how it feels too. shes soooo stupid....

ClaRivka

Post Thu, Jan 29 2009, 7:36 pm
And ppl who care abt stigmatisms shud really get over themselves...noone really cares.

Sorry but this is just something that really bothers me abt the world today. "Keeping up appearances" so other ppl dont talk is just insane

mimivan

Post Thu, Jan 29 2009, 7:46 pm
The character is stupid, perhaps, but is it realistic?
(I have not read it btw)
just interested in the issue generally

watermelon

Post Thu, Jan 29 2009, 11:26 pm
I get depressed every week when I read it. Its maddening!!! It just seems like exaggerated PPD.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jan 29 2009, 11:43 pm
Its not exaggerated at all. PPD can be debilitating.

A dear friend of mine didnt have kids for over 10 years. Then she had twins. and PPD hit so hard, that she took her baby twins to a babysitter every morning at 9 am and slept all the way til 2 pm. She had absolutely no interest or energy in her kids.

PPD is something you cant help. Can you help getting a headache or backache?

But she did deal with it pretty stupidly. And her husband seems to be a mix of supportive/unsupportive. Why does he keep lashing out at her; SHE CANT HELP IT.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Sun, Feb 01 2009, 11:35 pm
ClaRivka wrote:
Its making me sick!

I kno its abt PPD and ive never gone threw it but as a story its sooo stupid and frustrating! I just read last weeks and they went to their rav and he said to go to a jewish theraist. He gave them names and when she walked out she tore it up. She has no emunas chachamim and she thinks of societal idiocies! She cant go to a frum therapist bc she might tell! theyre all confidential! shes such an idiot!!

clarivka, when ppl are depressed, they do not deal with things in a rational matter. They do not care about the fact that they might not have emunas chachomim. They do not know they are acting stupid, they just dont care. They want to lie in bed the whole day and sleep.
I agree with the posters who wrote that this is unfortunately how the society today is- regarding the confidentiality of therapists, and the sterotyping..
I am happy they have such a story out, its important for such issues to become discussed. There used to be a time when these issues were dormant and let others suffer alone.

Nicole

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 7:01 am
I believe it's stigma. Astigmatism is an eye condition. Very Happy
(I'm such a nerd. I know)

shosh

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 7:53 am
Was also thinking the same thing (especially as I have a slight astigmatism!)

zigi

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 9:37 am
I like the story. it is very real. but I don't understand why she can't be in contact with her mother, the basic story is good but some details are annoying

takeiteasy

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 11:34 am
The story really opened my eyes. I never knew PPD can be so bad. One thing I don't understand why her husband did not see cutting the mother out as a red flag. I it very weird.

small bean

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 11:53 am
I also find the story really annoying that I stopped reading it. I think the whole ppd thing was brought up a million times in the binah, and the topic is getting stupid. this whole thing of bringing these topics out is stupid, they wrote about it a bunch of times, we all know. I don't think that people just want to hear about anorexic, ppd, and abuse all the time. I seriously dont get the binah anymore bec I had enough of hearing about the same topic again and again because we need to bring the issue to the front. in lakewood, where I live, I dont think all these issues are so hidden.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 1:03 pm
Ppd CAN be helped! You have to find the right resources. Meds, therapy, support, and good rest will help the person recover from it. This person is not doing what she needs.

queen

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 1:27 pm
takeiteasy wrote:
One thing I don't understand why her husband did not see cutting the mother out as a red flag.

I agree!

chavamom

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 3:07 pm
zigi wrote:
I like the story. it is very real. but I don't understand why she can't be in contact with her mother, the basic story is good but some details are annoying

It's a slam on non-frum therapists. Many frum people have this idea that a non-frum therapist is going to recommend all sorts of "anti-Torah" ideas and philosophies and this is just playing on that idea. I was really disturbed by that. It's totally unrealistic.

MyKidsRQte

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 4:24 pm
Ive heard that PPD can be that debillitating.

The story is good up to where she cuts ties with her mother,the main person who was helping her? Isnt that a surefire way to make sure she stays helpless?

zyms

Post Mon, Feb 09 2009, 11:44 pm
I was interested in the beginning, but it's getting a little too exaggerated for me, to the point where I keep reading it to see if it's the last part of the serial. I understand PPD is not something you can wish away, but 7 months (isn't that where it's up to?) is a very very long time to do nothing (or almost nothing) except an occasional visit to a therapist. It seems like the characters are not able to think on their own - each one is an extreme stereotype - the severely PPD mother, the tzaddik "I-won't-say-anything" father, the critical mother-in-law, the neighbor who can take the kids every single day - come on, that's so not realistic. It doesn't seem like anyone's taking charge of anything - is that a real portrayal of what it's like? PPD is now out in the open, so I think it's time for the story to end.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 8:59 am
also, the story keeps vacillating wildly between Ruchoma being coherent and aware, incoherent and unaware, the father being supportive and unsupportive, ruchoma taking and rejecting help, it's just a little repetitious.

Also who is taking care of the baby all this time???

sunspot

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 9:07 am
I think the point has been made already. PPD is something serious, a person needs to get help perhaps even by taking meds period. It goes over and over the same things. Personally I stopped subscribing to Binah I do not find such great reading content there and prefer Mishpacha
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room