Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Choose a fruit - lol!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 5:05 pm
In the middle of the table is a round food tray with five kinds of fruit on it.

They are:

a. Apple
b. Banana
c. Strawberry
d. Peach
e. Orange

Which fruit will you choose? Please think VERY carefully and don't rush
into it. This is great, I was astounded! Your choice reveals a lot about you!

Test results: Please SCROLL DOWN

If you have chosen:

a. Apple: That means you are a person who loves to eat apples.
b. Banana: That means you are a person who loves to eat bananas.
c. Strawberry: That means you are a person who loves to eat strawberries.
d. Peach: That means you are a person who loves to eat peaches.
e. Orange: That means you are a person who loves to eat oranges.

I hope you find fulfillment in this new insight about yourself. May it bring
you peace and understanding, tranquility and all that other profound stuff.

Also, I bet that right now you would like to find me and kick me!

Well, You won't find me....because I am still hunting down the person who
sent this to me...

Have a Purrrr-fect Day!

goldrose

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 5:08 pm
hehe, I couldnt think of a reason NOT to pick strawberry, so I chose it, and yaay! LOL

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 5:24 pm
goldrose wrote:
hehe, I couldnt think of a reason NOT to pick strawberry, so I chose it, and yaay! LOL

ditto! Thumbs Up

mother48

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 5:35 pm
SaraG, you crack me up!! did you have a snowday from work today?

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 5:44 pm
SaraG, thanks for the laugh! LOL I really thought this was in honor of today, Chamisha Asar B'Shvat! I was all ready to say that I choose Esrog! Nice and original (I cooked up some Esrog compote with our frozen Esrogim), but I guess for another thread!

Motek

Post Tue, Feb 14 2006, 9:18 am
the halacha is that you pick the ha'eitz first (before the ha'adama) so that leaves you with the apple, peach and orange

at that point, halacha says to say the bracha on the one you like best

(there's always the Jewish angle Wink )

chen

Post Tue, Feb 14 2006, 9:27 am
I was looking for one of shiv'as haminim in there....

my father told me that in his youth, when a young man visited a young lady's house, object matrimony, her parents would test his knowledge by putting before him a tray full of different types of foods and then watch in what order he ate them.

Hmm, I just remembered going to a shadchante's house many years ago on a shabbos afternoon and being presented with an astounding array of snacks. (there went the diet.) the shadchante claimed that this was to enable us to complete 100 brochos, but...you think....? shock

Motek

Post Tue, Feb 14 2006, 11:10 am
oh, there's a story about this, with the Baal Ha'Tanya (?) who was tested by his opponents in this way

don't remember the details, anybody?

technic

Post Tue, Feb 14 2006, 11:12 am
sarag I enjoyed that - ty 4 posting!!! LOL

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Feb 15 2006, 1:30 am
Motek wrote:
oh, there's a story about this, with the Baal Ha'Tanya (?) who was tested by his opponents in this way

don't remember the details, anybody?

I'm not sure if this is the story you mean.(probably not, but here goes anyway). When the Alter Rebbe was released from his second imprisonment, a deal was made with the Misnagdim that he would agree to visit three of their great Rabbonim considered to be the Gedolei hador.: The Geonim, Rabbi Moshe Chefetz, R. Yehoshua Ceitlin from Shklov. and Rabbi Yoel of Amtzislav.

Without going into the entire story, the first Gaon, R. Moshe Chefetz was elderly and a great genius, who didn't call any of the Gedolim in his generation by the honorary title "Rabbi", but just by name, not considering any of them significant.

When the Alter Rebbe came, he also showed him no signs of honor, but proceeded to grill him with questions on Torah, such as how many arguments of Abayei and Ravah are there in Shas. Then he posed a certain question about a contradiction between two places in Medrash that he said no one had ever been able to answer him, and whoever would, he would call his Rebbe, teacher and guide.

R. Moshe Chefetz was very excited about the Alter Rebbe's answer, and gave him great kavod, bringing him a chair to sit on, and asking his Rebbetzin to bring refreshments, because "we have an honored guest, the Rav Schneur Zalman."

Next, the Alter Rebbe visited the Gaon Rabbi Yehoshua Tzeitlin. he too showed no honor to the Alter Rebbe, and asked him various questions, testing him in Torah, which the AR answered each one. One of the questions he asked was: From where do you know, I.e. base yourself upon, in saying that learning Torah must be with Love and Fear (of G-d) davka, and if not it does not ascend on high?
The Alter Rebbe answered that it is stated in Zohar "Oraisa b'lo dechilu ur'chimu lo parcha l'eillo". [Torah without Fear and Love does not fly up on high].

R. Yehoshua told him we do not pasken from Zohar, just from the Gemara.

the AR then said that it is a clearly stated Gemara in Mesichta Pesochim:
Rava asks (how do we reconcile this contradiction between two different pesukim) "ki gadol ad shomayim chasdecha,(Tehillim ch. 57) and it says mei'al shomayim chasdecha ,(Tehillim 108) kan b'oiskim lishmo et. (Your kindness is great [reaches only] till the heavens, Your kindness is great from above the heavens) This (passuk #2) is talking about those who do ( a mitzvah) lishmah etc.

R. Yehoshua too could not contain his excitement. Then R. Yehoshua asked the Alter Rebbe about Torah learning by the Chassidim, and the AR answered him,but I will skip to the part that seems to fit your reference, Motek.

Last edited by TzenaRena on Wed, Feb 15 2006, 1:56 am; edited 1 time in total

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Feb 15 2006, 1:51 am
The Rebbe RaYYatz said in the name of the Tzemach Tzedek N'E (Likuttei Dibburim vol 1, pg 7):

when the Alter Rebbe came to R. Yehoshua Tzeitlin he wanted to test the Rebbe. R. Yehoshua had a non-Jewish meshares who spoke Yiddish perfectly like a Jew, and R. Yehoshua told this servant to go bring wine from the storage, with refreshments.

When the servant brought the wine, R. Yehoshua poured two glasses, one for the AR, and one for himself, and he asked the Rebbe to partake of something.

The Alter Rebbbe took the cup in his hand and began to recite the Brocho, Baruch Atah Hashem. The Gaon, R. Yehoshua was very moved, he had never heard anyone make a brocho with such d'veikus, his excitement was so great that he remained confused, and couldn't even utter a syllable.

Meanwhile, the AR concluded the brocho "Shehakol Nehyo B'dvaroi", saying afterward that the [gentile] erred and brought up mead instead of wine, and if the [gentile] went to the wine cellar, there is a shailoh on all the wine.

R. Yehoshua Tzeitlin told the Alter Rebbe, that upon him the verse is stated "lo ye'unah l'tzaddik kol aven" (No harm, literally sin shall befall a tzaddik").

Motek

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 9:03 am
thanks!
don't know if it's the one
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen