Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
What's the longest lasting hot water urn/ percolator?

Mevater

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 1:48 pm
The kind used on Shabbos for hot water.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 9:38 am
I've had very bad experience with the newer-type pump pot urns. The pump always breaks in less than a year (only used on Shabbos and YT).

Best luck I've had was with the old fashioned, aluminum percolators (with the spout near the bottom) -- it last many, many, years and only recently started to leak. I did replace with a pump pot again this time and we'll see what happens.

Barbara

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 9:51 am
My Zojirushi wasn't cheap, but I think I've had it for 6 or 7 years without problems. The only issue is that you can't add water on yom tov because it would cause the boil light to go on. Since I can use a burner to heat water on yom tov anyway, I'm OK with that.

Kugel lover

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 9:52 am
ootbubby: Call the store you got it in if the pumps the problem. I know in lakewoods center of town they have something to fix the pump with.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 10:22 am
In all cases they were gifts and I didn't know where they'd been purchased. I asked my local store that sells them and they told me they could order a new pump, but it was too costly (I think around $45) to be worth it for me.

momtomany

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 10:29 am
I have had the pump kind for a year and a half now, still works well, however at some point we got the pump part replaced it only cost less than 10 dollars.
you can also boil vinegar and pump it out, it should clean out the pump, might help.

mugsisme

Post Thu, Apr 23 2009, 6:07 am
munchkin wrote:
I have had the pump kind for a year and a half now, still works well, however at some point we got the pump part replaced it only cost less than 10 dollars.
you can also boil vinegar and pump it out, it should clean out the pump, might help.

Be forewarned that if you clean with vinegar that you make sure you get all of it out, especially in the pump. My pump disintegrated after I cleaned it. I do believe that some vinegar must have gotten into the pump. It literally crumbled and fell apart when DH tried to see why the pump wasn't working. I still use my hot pot, but only on weekday, since the Shabbos pump doesn't work at all.

Where did you get the pump part replacement?

ss321

Post Thu, Apr 23 2009, 6:09 am
OOTBubby wrote:
I've had very bad experience with the newer-type pump pot urns. The pump always breaks in less than a year (only used on Shabbos and YT).

Best luck I've had was with the old fashioned, aluminum percolators (with the spout near the bottom) -- it last many, many, years and only recently started to leak. I did replace with a pump pot again this time and we'll see what happens.

yup.

Mevater

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 5:14 am
mugsisme wrote:
DD took the top off my pump pot to Duddy's (BP) and s/o there replaced it with a new part forI $20 I think.

ss321

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 5:17 am
Mevater wrote:
mugsisme wrote:
DD took the top off my pump pot to Duddy's (BP) and s/o there replaced it with a new part forI $20 I think.

yea. I did this too (took it to the Buzz in Flatbush). I did it twice- then werelike, we just wasted $40 fixing an URN for the same price (or even less!) we could have a brand new one.

mugsisme

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 6:34 am
My hot water pot committed suicide last night.

I hear a noise in the kitchen, and go in to see what it was, and the hot pot had shut itself off. That can only mean that once again my kids took water and didn't refill it. Sure enough, the pot was boiling hot on the outside, and there was not a drop of water on the inside. I added some water, and it crackled and hissed. I figured better wait until it cools down. A little while later, I see a huge puddle in the kitchen ... the water is leaking out of the bottom of the hot pot. Oh well. I guess 2 years is good. (I only paid $35 for it off Ebay, so here I go again looking on Ebay for another one.)

Blair

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 7:30 am
Welcome to the club mine also died and I find in Israel they are all junk and do not last a long time.

bubs

Post Tue, May 19 2009, 3:26 pm
I had one of the pump kind and it lasted a couple of years. Now I got one from the buzz Bardelnio. I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with it. It was working fine and this week I plugged it in and it just did not go on. I have tried it again during the week and it is dead. I've only used it for a few months and am so upset.

Hakol Letovah

Post Tue, Jan 22 2013, 9:42 am
BARDELNIO....

This is a frum brand we got, since it did not need tevila. have it a few months, since start had issues with warming up water (need to keep rebuiling) and punp refuse to cooperate. (no option of spout only to avoid pump).

anyone had it repaired?

this is after we replaced it already after first week! any reliable brand?

Raw

Post Tue, Jan 22 2013, 11:55 am
Barbara wrote:
My Zojirushi wasn't cheap, but I think I've had it for 6 or 7 years without problems. The only issue is that you can't add water on yom tov because it would cause the boil light to go on. Since I can use a burner to heat water on yom tov anyway, I'm OK with that.
Z

Barbara, where is this urn made? Japan or China?

Barbara

Post Tue, Jan 22 2013, 12:31 pm
Raw wrote:
Barbara wrote:
Z

As far as I know, Japan, but this thread is years old, and my urn must be 10 years old by now, so I can't say I recall.

Raw

Post Tue, Jan 22 2013, 1:36 pm
Barbara wrote:
Raw wrote:
Barbara wrote:
Z

As far as I know, Japan, but this thread is years old, and my urn must be 10 years old by now, so I can't say I recall.

Ha, didn't realize it was an old thread, it appeared on recent postings.
It still seems like a good option for an urn though so thank you:)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars