Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Do you keep outgrown stained kids' clothes?
1  2  Next

Alef Bais

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 4:40 pm
I'm about to embark on a big project: to organize my boys out-of-season and outgrown clothes. My younger boy wears a lot of hand-me-downs from my oldest so I pretty much keep everything. It's just getting out of hand since these things take up tons of space and I don't feel so great about dressing my little boy in stained or washed-out things. However, I have a hard time bringing myself to dispose of these things!!! Why? For the life of me, I wish I knew. I guess, maybe I think one day I might need it... Classic excuse.

I keep all my little guys' outgrown clothes too.

So I was wondering what other mothers do with kids' outgrown and stained or washed-out clothes???

flowerpower

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 4:44 pm
If it's stained or washed out or stretched then I throw it out. When you take out a stained outfit from the bin for the next child it's not very pleasant. When you put it away you see the stain as a less "issue" then when you take it out for the next child.

NativeMom

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 4:55 pm
When I started putting away all my DS outgrown clothes I threw out anything with stains. I turned some of the old onesies into rags but anything else I got rid of.

Twizzlers

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 5:05 pm
anything I wouldnt put on a kid, I either pass on or dump. the only stained and washed out clothing I save are the 0-3 and 3-6 outfits because the kids spit up and mess themselves up so fast, you'd never be able to tell they started out clean!

Atali

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 5:06 pm
Alef Bais,

I had the exact same problem. I used to put away stained clothes but I threw away most of those before I moved to the US. Now I have been throwing away things with stains.

curlytop

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 5:09 pm
I throw them out as I pack them away...
Even faded pants I will throw out if they are really faded

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 5:20 pm
you might hold onto one outfit for when a kid is sick. I still have a nightgown for myself with kiddie amoxycillin on it !!!

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 5:44 pm
I did from ds' really early stuff. I couldn't bear to throw it away. Now I'm trying to be good and throwing away stained stuff. Now if I could just donate some stuff, I'd be golden.

Marion

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 10:18 pm
I keep the stained stuff for dirty activities. Certainly the onesies, since they are undergarments and not on display anyway. Davka I find that the 0-3 and 3-6 are the only clothes that stay clean; after that the kids become mobile and also start eating solids and feeding themselves. It's the feeding themselves that stains the most clothes in our house!

Also, because my kids go to daycare, a few stained, but dirty clothes, are sometimes in order. Why get paint on yet another outfit?

RightOnTarget

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 10:25 pm
Get rid of it! Easy to tell others harder for me to follow.
Oh! I have such a hard time parting with stuff.

SingALong

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 10:49 pm
I had kept all of my DD's clothing for my 2nd DD. do you know how many clothes were untouched? just sat in the closet, my 2nd never ended up wearing a lot of the stuff. whatever she didnt wear, I gave to a gemach or threw out. if something is severely stained, even a gemach may not be able to use it, you can just use it as a shmattah.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 11:05 pm
msycms wrote:
if something is severely stained, even a gemach may not be able to use it, you can just use it as a shmattah.

Of course a gemach can't use it! Do you know how much time gemach owners/ volunteers waste sorting through shmattas people gave them? If it's stained enough that you wouldn't use it, nor will anyone else. Use it as a shmatta or throw it out. Gemachim are for clothes in good condition that are outgrown/ out of fashion/ you don't like.

RachelEve14

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 11:18 pm
Between the twins and Rivka I keep stuff with small stains (marker, etc) because Rivka wears it to gan. All their clothes are together in a closet adn just get passed around as needed (the twins are about 1/2 a size apart so there is no reason to put them away between girls who are using it).

Rivka's clothes:

Stuff that is really worn out, looks terrible becomes rags.

Stuff that is in good condition, warm and wearable (especially something like pajamas or undershirts) goes on a wall in Netanaya where people can take as needed. I would keep it, I just don't need it since there is no girl in the picture now. I'm thinking about gan clothing that is fine except one little mark / etc.

The good stuff I divide up. My favortes I keep. Other stuff that is good (but really do I need 10 pink t-shirts sized 4, or 6 Shabbat outfits sized 3) goes to my friend who just had a baby girl after 2 boys.

My favorite stuff gets packed up IY"H if it's needed again in the future.

sgr

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 11:54 pm
Aleph Bais,

I can totally relate,I think most of us have an issue giving/throwing a way.Well, just yesterday FINALLY! I did the boy's clothes closet.I gave away two garbae bags full,whatever was stained,had asmall hole faded,out out out!!!!!!!!

momto7

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 2:14 am
Kol Hakavod to you.

Ima'la

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 2:26 am
shalhevet wrote:
msycms wrote:
if something is severely stained, even a gemach may not be able to use it, you can just use it as a shmattah.

Of course a gemach can't use it! Do you know how much time gemach owners/ volunteers waste sorting through shmattas people gave them? If it's stained enough that you wouldn't use it, nor will anyone else. Use it as a shmatta or throw it out. Gemachim are for clothes in good condition that are outgrown/ out of fashion/ you don't like.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
You have no idea how much of the stuff given to gemachim goes straight into the garbage.
Unless it is a gemach that sells anything that can't be worn as shmattas - there are some gemachim that do that, at least in E"Y.

I am an incorrigible saver, so clothes that can no longer be worn and are not even fit for a gemach go into a box (ok, fine a couple of boxes embarrassed ) to be used as scraps. And believe it or not, I can't tell you how many times it's come in handy for sewing or crafts projects or the like. And I am by no means a seamstress or particularly artistic or creative. And of course, I have to save EVERYTHING because I have no way of knowing what will come in handy one day... Rolling Eyes

leomom

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 9:46 pm
Thought this might be helpful to some people. I hadn't realized how many ways clothes could be recycled, and that organizations like Salvation Army and Goodwill recycle clothes they cannot use.

recycling old clothes

queen

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 10:46 pm
stained clothing go automatically into my rag pile, for use in cleaning.

Ima'la

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 11:30 pm
Btw, there's a very cute book, based on a folktale, about a grandfather in the shtetl who makes a blanket for his new grandson...when it becomes threadbare and his mother wants to throw it out, he brings it back to his grandfather who turns it into a jacket...then a vest...then a tie...then a handkerchief...then a button...

Anyone know which book I'm talking about? Though there's no reference to it in the words of the story, along the bottom of each page, you see the mice under the floorboards collecting the scraps that the grandfather discards and gradually upholstering their entire "home" and dressing their entire "family" with these scraps - really cute!

ozi

Post Thu, Feb 12 2009, 12:15 am
Something from nothing... it's a great book
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics