Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Help! Baby has 103 fever!

amother

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 8:06 pm
My 1 year old has a fever of 103. She's been drinking and eating fine all day. She's been having plenty of wet diapers, so I know she is not dehydrated. She's been a little cranky all day, but she was fine before she went to sleep last night. I noticed that the crankiness began first thing this morning. She is teething for sure...she has 4 teeth on the top coming in all at once. I also noticed she is pulling on both ears.

Of course, I'm calling the doctor. I was just wondering if anyone could help me out before I hear from him...it's after hours, so who knows when that will be! My kids don't really get fevers, and only one child has ever had an ear infection, which the doctor found during a checkup before any symptoms started. She was treated before the pain and everything began, so I wouldn't even know what to look for. Or maybe it's all just related to the teething...she's pressing on her gums a lot!

Thanks!

Pineapple

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 8:10 pm
Give her some tylenol to help reduce the fever

if she is over 6 months you can give her motrin

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 8:52 pm
My 7 month old had 103 fever today and yesterday. he has a double ear infection and the flu!

exaustedmom

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 8:54 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
My 7 month old had 103 fever today and yesterday. he has a double ear infection and the flu!

Poor you! You can borrow my screen name for a bit Smile

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 8:54 pm
My kids regularly get fevers of 103 when they teeth. If the fever won't go down you can alternate b/w motrin and tylenol. But do call your dr first to double check.

mama-star

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 8:55 pm
also don't forget tepid baths: cool and comfortable, not too cold, to help reduce the fever. those help a lot.

cdawnr

Just give her something to take the temp down and keep an eye on her. 103 sounds scary but it is normal.

Sounds to me like an ear infection. Just because the others never had...My 1st didn't my 2nd did, etc.

As far as teething, 103 is a little on the high end for a teething fever.

mama-star

oh yes, and refuah shleima! Hug

montrealmommy

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 8:56 pm
you can also try a tepid bath - not cold as that is not safe or healthy, but just on the cool side of room temp. should do -

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 11:50 pm
exaustedmom wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:

Poor you! You can borrow my screen name for a bit Smile
Wait, and my 3 1/2 y.o. is home all week from cheder with fever too!!!!

chavamom

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 11:57 pm
This going to go against everything we have ever been taught - but unless she is uncomfortable, leave the tylenol alone. A few years back we had an inservice about fevers. They are a symptom that doesn't require treatment and they actually serve a purpose in the immune response to fight of infections. If she is miserable - go ahead. If not, just leave it alone.

ETA - if she has a virus, they actually showed that lowering fever actually prolongs the illness!

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 12:05 am
some kids are more prone to high fevers ... I wouldn't worry too much ... sonny boy was one of them - especially when he teethed - also 4 at a time ... the pain the pain ...

hope she'll be feeling better soon ... Flower

amother

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 12:14 am
OP here: Thanks everyone! The fever went down to 101. She's had 2 full bottles (and a few cookies! they cheered her up!) since my original post. I gave her a sponge bath, which she didn't like at all. However, she seemed much calmer than before I started, so maybe it helped a bit. She tried to babble a little, but then started cry. Then she fell asleep for a a abit.

Chavamom...I gave her tylenol about 10 minutes before I read your post. Maybe I'll skip the next dose. She's sleeping now, after finishing her bottle (and a cookie!) She's in her swing, beause she was very uncomfortable lying down (possible sign of ear infetion?) I can also tell her mouth is hurting from the teething. Perhaps it's both teething pain and ear infection. She is normally the happiest, non cranky baby, so I know something is really bothering if she is this sad and kvetchy!

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 12:30 am
I've never seen 103 temperature and the child not being severely cranky and uncomfortable. I'm also worried about the damage a high fever can do to the child. Also, I am not a fan of tylenol and give Motrin. I try not to give it more than twice a day, max three times.

Tell me, wouldnt you give tylenol/motrin to this???:

and it was only 101.4...

goodheart

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 12:32 am
Btw teeth and ear infection ar the most painful things
pulling on the ears could reallybe sign for infection.
my son just had 105 fever he has a double ear infection.
please make sure to take ur kid to the dr. good luck
refua shleima!

e1234

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 2:42 am
Quote:

This going to go against everything we have ever been taught - but unless she is uncomfortable, leave the tylenol alone. A few years back we had an inservice about fevers. They are a symptom that doesn't require treatment and they actually serve a purpose in the immune response to fight of infections. If she is miserable - go ahead. If not, just leave it alone.

ETA - if she has a virus, they actually showed that lowering fever actually prolongs the illness!

This may be true but you have to be careful. I know someone who followed this and then ended up in an ambulance on shabbos as her son started having convulsions.. The hospital said it was because his fever was too high. -

StrongIma

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 3:07 am
yes, high fever can be dangerous in itself, but so can tylenol, if you're not extremely careful not to give too much.

drumjj

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 4:03 am
mama bear I def would give medicine I think it totally depends on the child and how they are feeling if u give them medicine or not and how high their temperature is.

levial

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 4:59 pm
I quickly learned that I had to have
1.) Both tylenol and motrin- you can overlap dose according to my doc (so if you give motrin at 12, you could at 2 or 3 give the tylenol, and then at 6 give motrin again) This helps as the half-life of the med starts to kick in (as in, it's fading and baby is getting hot again.)
2.) Frozen special popsicles of powerade...and hid them in a box for vegetables so DH did not eat them...for when my little girl threw up or had a high fever. She sometimes would throw up and not want to drink, made ME sick to stomach.
3.) Saving a new tub toy (or throwing some colored ice cubes in a plastic bag and putting in the tub) will get DD into tepid tub. Even did shaving cream painting with her on side of tub- she felt so much better she wanted to play longer. But crying from not playing longer is nicer than crying due to feeling ill.

chavamom

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 9:44 pm
e1234 wrote:
Quote:

This may be true but you have to be careful. I know someone who followed this and then ended up in an ambulance on shabbos as her son started having convulsions.. The hospital said it was because his fever was too high. -

I'm dubious. Febrile seizures are unrelated to the height of the fever (in other words, they can get them with a fever that isn't even so high if they are prone to them) AND they aren't dangerous. Don't believe me? Check out the AAP website here

Quote:
Anti-fever drugs like acetaminophen and ibuprofen can help lower a fever, but they do not prevent febrile seizures.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics