Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Newborn keeps Vomiting.....

RightOnTarget

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 12:29 am
My 4 week old newborn is constantly spitting up. Now it got worse. I finished nursing about 45 minutes ago and he's been throwing up like every 5 minutes. Anyone know if it might be reflux? If not what else? He's being exclusively breastfed.

elf123

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 12:36 am
We had guests for Shabbos lunch whose now 3-year-old son had a condition as a newborn that sounds very similar to what you are describing. I am not a medical professional so I obviously can't diagnose your baby, but it really sounds like what they were describing. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of his condition, which required (routine) surgery to correct it and then he was fine. I am not trying to freak you out so please don't be upset, it may not be the same thing, but when I saw your post it really rang a bell so I figured I would respond. Obviously call your pediatrician as soon as you can, if you want I could find out what it's called. Again, your baby may just have "simple" reflux, so wait until you speak to your dr.

RightOnTarget

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 12:38 am
like what type of procedure?

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 12:42 am
Im gonna sound like dr ari goldsmith now: REEEFLUX!!!

definitely.

rexie

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 12:46 am
Is it projectile vomiting? Is he spitting up his whole feeding? If so, it MIGHT be pyloric stenosis which would require a one time surgery. If it's not projectile and it's not the entire feeding, it may be a very bad case of reflux.

elf123

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 12:46 am
It was a minor surgery to correct whatever was causing this condition. The husband and wife are both in medical fields so they recognized it right away. Don't worry though. Call your dr.

RightOnTarget

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 12:48 am
I will definately see my doc - actuallt have appt. scheduled 4 Friday regular newborn follow up. Before that, what can be done about REEEFLUX. ok forgot how many eee's u put!

RightOnTarget

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 12:50 am
rexie wrote:
Is it projectile vomiting? Is he spitting up his whole feeding? If so, it MIGHT be pyloric stenosis which would require a one time surgery. If it's not projectile and it's not the entire feeding, it may be a very bad case of reflux.

Not the whole feeding at once but consistantly a little bit, some more then again. And yes it's projectile vomiting. If would've been just spit up wouldn't worry - that prob just comes from overeating.

elf123

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 12:53 am
Right, I was just looking on Google and finally found the name....pyloric stenosis...and as soon as I got back here I saw that someone had already posted it!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyloric_stenosis
Read about it on wikipedia and see if the symptoms sound like your baby's.

RightOnTarget

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 12:59 am
elf123 wrote:
Right, I was just looking on Google and finally found the name....pyloric stenosis...and as soon as I got back here I saw that someone had already posted it!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyloric_stenosis
Read about it on wikipedia and see if the symptoms sound like your baby's.

Thanks for posting it. It does sound a bit like it. I'll have my dr. look into it.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 2:48 am
My niece had this and so did a friend's baby. they did the surgery, and the babies were fine.

justmom

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 3:19 am
If he's spitting up fine, if he's truly vomiting constantly you need to make sure he's not getting dehydrated- it takes very little for newborns to get dehydrated-- if he's not wetting diapers or seems lethargic get to a dr./emergency room now.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 18 2009, 12:59 am
don't know if this is till applicable, but my son had this diagnosed at 3 weeks. He threw up - projectile mostly, but not always - after every feeding. B"H it was caught right away and he didn't get dehydrated. Called infantile hypertrophic pyloric stenosis, or pyloric stenosis for short. he had a small surgery and he has never had any problems since. you can email me at sinymom@yahoo.com for more info if you want.

bubby

Post Wed, Feb 18 2009, 8:39 am
Why the rush to assume surgery is needed?? Try cutting out ALL dairy. I mean ALL. And don't try soy milk yet as that can be an allergic food for babies. Definitely check with the pediatrician. Is he gaining? Content?

square_peg

Post Wed, Feb 18 2009, 11:06 am
My baby did that.

Is he sucking fast? Some babies suck really fast when you start with the feeding. If he does that, take him off after a minute into the feeding, and then put him back - the second time he'll start a little slower. That helps.

Is he eating too much? My babe was nursing for about 25 minutes, and he was also throwing it all up afterwards. I cut down to 15 minutes, and he spits up much less now.

Others have told me to cut out all dairy, but it proved to be unnecessary after trying the 2 things I just said.

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Wed, Feb 18 2009, 11:56 am
RightOnTarget, how is your baby doing? Did you go to the doctor yet?

Besides for the projectile vomiting, how is his overall behavior? Is he content? Does he sleep well? How often does he cry?

My baby also had terrible projectile vomiting after every feeding and along with other symptoms was diagnosed with severe acid reflux. No surgery was necessary. He is now 18 months old and I am weaning him off his meds now. Feel free to pm me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics