Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
My grandmothers hebrew name is my hebrew name-HELP
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2009, 9:18 pm
First off, I am BT, so thats why this happened to begin with.

Grandma was Ruth in English, Rachel in hebrew

I am Rachel Malca in Hebrew, named after great grandparents (grandfathers parents)

So I cant use Rachel.

Looking for a name.

This will be a 3rd name. I dont want to put names 1 and 2, but both of them end in "ah", so I want to make sure name 3 doesnt end in "ah". Names 1 and 2 are traditional names, so I want to stick with traditional sounding

Rut is obviously an option, but to me it sounds like such a harsh name (the pronunciation, I mean)

so help me out here.

What name is short enough to be a 3rd name, doesnt end in "ah" and can be associated with Rochel or Rut.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 15 2009, 10:02 pm
Were you named for your grandmother ?

anonymom

Post Sun, Feb 15 2009, 10:04 pm
Are you sure you must use 3 names. I think it's a bit much.

ss321

Post Sun, Feb 15 2009, 10:12 pm
I am confused. did you consult with a Rov? Sefardim often name after live grandparents. Are you concerned about having the same name as a "courtesy" thing or a "halacha" thing? because I dont know if there is actually a halachic issue with it, someone correct me if I am wrong, just go by what youare comfy with. What about english alternatives? if she is rochel you can be rachel. "rut" in my opinion is 'harsh' like you say what about ruth or ruthy or russi?

toastedbagel

Post Sun, Feb 15 2009, 10:24 pm
yeah, talk to a Rav, I'm not sure why you would need to add another name? You already share the same name as her. And it seems like you already have a different middle name that you can be called by, so why would you need a third.

I also share the same (middle) Hebrew name as my grandmother, my parents are BTs, but surely my father knew his mother's name even if she doesn't use it, so not quite sure how that happened! And I am called by BOTH names together, but I have never even given it a thought - my grandmother uses her English name only, and I don't think it bothers her even remotely.

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 15 2009, 10:41 pm
first of all you already have malca ... second off if you're both rachel and you name yourself rus - now you have 2 of her names ... I can't think it' an issue especially because it's already done ...

Marion

Post Sun, Feb 15 2009, 10:46 pm
Ladies, I think OP is trying to name her daughter-to-be and needs a 3rd name.

toastedbagel

Post Sun, Feb 15 2009, 11:37 pm
ohhhh....
hm.
tough one.
You could do Rus with the Ashkenazi pronunciation if that works for you.
There is a Yiddish name Rechel, which is not the same name as Rochel, don't know the meaning.
Rochel means a sheep, but Shepsil is a boy name.
???
Sometimes you are just stuck...
When a cousin of dh was born, and they wanted to name for the father's father who had passed away not long before, but lo and behold she was a girl - they gave her three names, the initials are Alef, Beis, Alef, spelling out Abba. Maybe you could name a name that spells out Rochel with the initials, like Rivka Chaya Leah or Rina Chana Liba (sorry, those all end in "ah"). Hmm, all the names I can think of without "ah" offhand are Israeli names - Ravit, Chagit, Liat (and all end with T, I know...)
Just some ideas...

hmmmm?

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 1:31 am
Why not something like Chana Rus or Rus Avigail, etc. and only actually call her by the other name. That way, you'll be naming her after your grandmother, but it won't sound harsh!

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 5:19 am
You are named after her, no need to do it too!

Btw Rechel is Rochel/Ruchel/Rachel too as far as I know.

I don't think there is anything wrong with 3 names, very common.

toastedbagel

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 6:59 am
Ruchel wrote:

Btw Rechel is Rochel/Ruchel/Rachel too as far as I know.

It may mean the same, but it is spelled reish-ayin-chaf-lamed, not reish-ches-lamed.
I know a few people with the name, and they (or their mothers, in case of babies) insist it is not the same as Rochel, and the spelling seems to back that up.
It can be that certain groups pronounce Rochel as Rechel as well - like certain groups pronounce Brocha as Brucha, but Brucha with a vav after the reish is also a different, sephardi, name.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 10:09 am
OPer here

Yes, this is for a daughter.

I wasnt named after my grandmother, she was alive when I was born. I was named after my grandfathers parents, one of whom happened to be Rachel. So She hasnt been named after, my 2 cousins never would, and my sister may not be able to have any more kids...which leaves me.

The first name is set. it was my both moms name and DHs grandmothers name (both of them have passed away)

Second name is DH's other grandmother who just passed away and was super uber special.

I dont NEED a third name, but I DO want to include my grandmother, who was special to me. DS also has 3 names

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 10:16 am
If you use your own name, you will spend your whole life fending off questions - I know a suri and a sara (mother and daughter) and although it's not the same root name (one is sarah, the other name is something else), she told me that ppl constantly ask about it.

I'm sorry, but I don't see what the big deal is - you have the same name as your grandmother. You need to choose another name. If you want to use Ruthie I guess it's similar...it's really not the name though.

What does your husband say ?

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 10:37 am
ahhhh ... now I get it ... boy was that complicated ...

just make Ruth into Rus and it softens the name ...

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 12:25 pm
I understand that you werent named with her in mind.

Still, I know people who would consider it's still naming after/for, since it's the name...

Quote:
I wasnt named after my grandmother, she was alive when I was born.

this doesn't mean much. Some name after the living. I named my own dd (first name) after my alive bh ad 120 grandmother (but we did it because she is sefardi, although in our rite it wasn't done normally).

amother

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 1:00 pm
Ruchel wrote:

Still, I know people who would consider it's still naming after/for, since it's the name...

Quote:

this doesn't mean much. Some name after the living. I named my own dd (first name) after my alive bh ad 120 grandmother (but we did it because she is sefardi, although in our rite it wasn't done normally).

We are Ashkenazim, so it really wouldnt count.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 1:04 pm
amother wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

Quote:

we are ashkenazim too.
Also there is at least another person I can think of that is ashkenazi (and the person named after is too and alive) and their rav said no problem. So yes it counts, unless you asked a rav, explained everything, and was told no.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 1:10 pm
Ruchel wrote:
amother wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

Quote:

we are ashkenazim too.
Also there is at least another person I can think of that is ashkenazi (and the person named after is too and alive) and their rav said no problem. So yes it counts, unless you asked a rav, explained everything, and was told no.

I have already spoken with my rav.

What I am looking for is not if it is ok...I am looking for alternatives that are 'proper' alternatives to the name Rachel. My only question was name options, nothing else.

Can anyone suggest any names that keep in the spirit of the name Rachel?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 1:57 pm
Ask your rav if names in the spirit of xyz are considering naming after.

My rav would not consider it so unless it was a variation (Ruchel), a translation (can't think of one, but like Lemmel for a girl), an associated name (Sheyna is often associated with Rachel, Beila too, Bella... the idea of beauty since "Rachel was beautiful") or something very close in sound (I can't find one but like Meital for Matel) and used with the person in mind.

mom42

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 2:21 pm
Rachela means sheep, Taleh is a baby sheep.
So you can use Tal, Tali or Talia
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names