Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Tomato-Free Ketchup for those with allergies to tomatoes

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 6:29 pm
Delicious tomato-free "ketchup" recipe. I use this in turkey sandwhiches for myself. I also use this sometimes in regular recipes for the whole family. Mixed in with other ingredients (like in a glaze that calls for ketchup among other things) dh can't even tell that it isn't the real stuff.

Tomato Free Ketchup
1 (16 ounce) can jellied cranberry sauce
1 (16 ounce) can pear halves in natural juice, drained
1 (16 ounce) can sliced carrots, drained
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup white corn syrup (Kyro)
4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves (optional)

Process all ingredients in a blender until smooth, about 30 seconds.
Store in refrigerator.
You can omit the white sugar and use 2 Tbsp brown sugar instead of the corn syrup for a healthier version, though it doesn't taste as authentic that way.

I also make this barbeque sauce from the above recipe and this tastes even more authentic than the ketchup!

Tomato Free Barbecue Sauce
2 cups tomato-free ketchup (above recipe)
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1/8 tsp black pepper (optional)

Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
This recipe yields approximately 2 cups of barbecue sauce.

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Nov 11 2015, 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Taliaville

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 6:45 pm
I make one that I find simpler, and easy to make for small portions

1 container Gerber plum with apples and pears baby food
1/4 t Salt
1 dash Onion powder
1 dash Garlic Powder
1/4 t Vinegar - my favorite to use is red wine vinegar and I use 2 tsp because I like it vinegary
1 T Sugar
2 drops Red food color (just for color)
Mix all ingredients together, let set for about an hour so flavors can meld, stir again.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 6:46 pm
Sounds good! I'll be sure to try your version.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 6:59 pm
Where do you buy the kosher Gerber plum with apples and pears baby food jars? I have seen your recipe before, and I have been unable to find this. What size is the jar btw?

grin

Post Tue, Feb 17 2009, 4:01 am
I just decided to try to keep away form tomatoes while experimenting with the blood-type diet and I generally use a ton of tomato paste. I wonder if this would work with dried prunes? (cranberries are hard to come across in Israel!)

Taliaville

Post Tue, Feb 17 2009, 7:09 am
its 4 oz container - I find it by shoprite and other food stores- its with the baby food- if you cant find that exact combo, I would just sub one baby food size container of apple sauce and of prunes, and double the recipe....

also, grin, I make a nomato copycat sauce, since nomato isnt kosher, and if you leave out the water, Im sure you can use it as paste, maybe boil it down a little. I use
1 can beets, drained
1 can carrots, drained
1 can water
1 tbsp vinegar
spices to taste- depending on what I use it for I add italian spices, or just salt and pepper and some sugar sometimes

A slight warning that this will dye things beet red, but it doesnt seem to bother my husband, parents, siblings, and daughter

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 17 2009, 7:56 am
Taliaville wrote:
its 4 oz container - I find it by shoprite and other food stores- its with the baby food- if you cant find that exact combo, I would just sub one baby food size container of apple sauce and of prunes, and double the recipe....

Thanks. Will let you know.

Taliaville wrote:
also, grin, I make a nomato copycat sauce, since nomato isnt kosher, and if you leave out the water, Im sure you can use it as paste, maybe boil it down a little. I use
1 can beets, drained
1 can carrots, drained
1 can water
1 tbsp vinegar
spices to taste- depending on what I use it for I add italian spices, or just salt and pepper and some sugar sometimes

A slight warning that this will dye things beet red, but it doesnt seem to bother my husband, parents, siblings, and daughter

I've made this, and I decided I'd rather eat other things Smile

Taliaville

Post Tue, Feb 17 2009, 7:57 am
lol- I find it turns out pretty well in sauces- or as pizza sauce, but that may be because I am allergic to tomatos and have not had them in about 10 years, and my husband hates tomatos. Sorry you dont like it! Very Happy

Ruchel

Post Tue, Feb 17 2009, 8:09 am
tomato free ketchup, I can't imagine!

grin

Post Tue, Feb 17 2009, 8:44 am
ra_mom wrote:

I guess I'll have to do my own experimenting.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 17 2009, 8:57 am
Taliaville wrote:
lol- I find it turns out pretty well in sauces- or as pizza sauce, but that may be because I am allergic to tomatos and have not had them in about 10 years, and my husband hates tomatos. Sorry you dont like it! Very Happy

Smile Yea Smile I've been off tomatoes for only 8 months so far. And my husband loves tomatoes.
I've tried so many recipes, and the ketchup/barbeque sauce recipe that I posted was the only one that I thought was worth making.
I don't make saucy meatballs and spaghetti anymore. (I make it sometimes for the rest of the family though.) Ususally I make spiced meatballs baked in the oven, yum, and a lemon-dill-garlic spaghetti. I prefer that over the make believe stuff. And so does my family.
And for pizza, I usually make a Greek spinach pizza. Or if we're ordering out, I order a spinach calzone.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 17 2009, 8:58 am
grin wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

I guess I'll have to do my own experimenting.

You should try it at least. It's really easy and the consistancy is right. And if you're craving a tomato sauce, you will probably be satisfied.

willow

Post Tue, Feb 17 2009, 9:58 am
ra_mom recipe please for your meatballs and spaghetti?
Sounds great

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 17 2009, 11:09 am
willow wrote:
ra_mom recipe please for your meatballs and spaghetti?
Sounds great

It's not really a recipe. If you need exact amounts, let me know and I will try to measure next time I make it.
I use either ground meat or ground veal, add 1 egg plus 1 egg white, cornflake crumbs. I used to put in about a tablespoon each of onion soup mix and consume. Since I stopped using soup mixes, I have been experimenting with garlic, onion, cumin, salt etc.
Combine all ingredients and form into small meatballs.
Place on a cookie sheet sized aluminum pan.
Bake for about half an hour.
Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
After draining pasta, put back into pot with olive oil, crushed garlic, parsley flakes, coarse salt, and lemon juice or lemon zest. Season to taste. I like it very flavorful.
Oops, did I write dill in my previous post? I'm sure this can be made with dill if you so prefer.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 17 2009, 11:13 am
Ruchel wrote:
tomato free ketchup, I can't imagine!

It's pretty darn good. If I wouldn't have to substitute my ketchup, I definitely wouldn't. But as a replacement it is really ketchup-like Smile

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Nov 27 2018, 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

willow

Post Wed, Feb 18 2009, 10:26 am
Sounds easy enough
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen