Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Low fat and low cholesterol shabbos recipes?

boroparkimma

Post Tue, Feb 17 2009, 2:49 pm
hi everyone, I am looking for shabbos recipes that are low cholesterol and low fat.

all courses appreciated!!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Feb 17 2009, 3:06 pm
Broiled fresh fish
Broiled chicken or baked chicken cutlets
Salads with very little oil

It's the kugels and desserts that kill it, IMO.

greeneyes

Post Wed, Feb 18 2009, 2:45 pm
Firstly, welcome! Smile

I've been cooking more healthfully for a while now, so I've come across lots of great recipes.

Here are some ideas of things that I make, let me know what looks interesting and I'll be glad to post those recipes:

broccoli kugel
spinach kugel
spaghetti squash kugel
pumpkin pie
vegetable kebobs
sweet and sticky string beans
green bean salad with fresh dill and scallions
stuffed zuchinni
roasted vegetables (I've tried many different recipes that are great)
maple glazed sweet potatoes
baked butternut squash
chicken cutlets with pesto filling in white wine sauce
honey crumb chicken cutlets
sweet potato shepherd's pie
fruit crisp
low fat apple cake
low fat carrot cake

I have loads more ideas if you're interested, these are just some off the top of my head.

I started a similar thread a while back, so you might be able to find some more ideas there:
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....54934

boroparkimma

Post Thu, Feb 19 2009, 3:51 pm
thank you so much. I am going to make the low fat broccoli kugel recipe from the older thread. I would also be interested in the recipe for baked butternut squash and sweet potato shepherd's pie if its not a bother!
kol tuv
BPI

greeneyes

Post Fri, Feb 20 2009, 12:21 pm
I posted the sweet potato shepherd's pie recipe here:
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....71711

The baked butternut squash is really easy, and it isn't really a recipe. Basically, I slice a butternut squash in half, lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, and slice into serving size pieces. I put the squash in a pan, sprinkle with cinnamon, cover with aluminum foil, and bake at 350 until it's nice and soft (about 1 1/2 hours, I think). I make this all the time because it's so simple, but really delicious since the squash is nice and sweet.

de_goldy

Post Sat, Feb 21 2009, 10:20 pm
Side dishes I use:

sweet potatoes - cut in aprox half inch circles. sprinkle with salt and pepper, drizzle with olive oil or spray the top with pam. Bake on 400.

Green beans

Dressed asparagus

Dressed, baked cauliflower

Rattatouile - sautee onions in a little olive oil, add zuccini (round slices), diced tomatoes (canned or fresh). Optional red peppers and eggplant, cubed. Season with lemon juice, salt, pepper and you can also add tomato paste or a little ketchup for a more intense flavor.

mashed potatoes with fried onions.
boil potatoes, mash. (for creamier/smoother potatoes, leave a little of the water in the pot when mashing).
sautee onions in a little olive oil and salt.
add onion mixture to potatoes.
add salt to taste.

broiled chicken:
place chicken peices on pan. sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic. place on top rack in oven. Broil on first side for 30 mins, then turn over and broil a further 20 mins.

baked, breaded chicken:
slice chicken breasts into aprox 3 peices each. dip into water or egg whites, then into flavoured bread crumbs. spray pam on baking pan, place chicken on pan, bake at 350 for 20 mins. maybe a little longer.

for cakes, like others mentoined, use apple sauce instead of oil.

in general for any chicken/meat/ground meat - you can purchase a rack that goes inside the baking pan. you put the chicken/meat on the rack and then the fat drips off below, instead of the chicken/meat sitting in it.

hope that helped you somewhat!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus