Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Sentimental Items

amother

Post Mon, Mar 02 2009, 6:40 pm
Ok, just looking for opinions: I have been cleaning for Pesach and I found that I still have the boxes from my "kallah Jewlery". These are fancy wood boxes that I guess have sentimental value but no real use since I use a regualr jewlery box. Every year I look at them, have no heart to throw them out, and keep them. What do you think? Keep or throw?
By the way, I do happen to have the room for them because they don't take up much space...

cassandra

Post Mon, Mar 02 2009, 6:51 pm
As organizer Peter Walsh says, if something really means a lot to you it should be hanging on your wall. Otherwise it doesn't mean that much to you because you are not honoring it. It's a bit extreme but there is a lot of truth to it.

It's a box. Throw it out or sell it on ebay.

granolamom

Post Mon, Mar 02 2009, 7:11 pm
the longer you keep something, the harder it is to throw away.

so here's my advice, take a deep breath, and toss 'em.

justanothermother

Post Mon, Mar 02 2009, 8:17 pm
I say it depends. Do you tend to hold onto too many things? Are you aiming to lighten up? If so, then toss them.

But if you are generally not a hoarder, and these boxes are an exception rather than a rule, then why not hang onto them?

Blair

Post Mon, Mar 02 2009, 9:56 pm
If they are wooden could you decorate them and use them for other things.

Pinky

Post Mon, Mar 02 2009, 10:05 pm
sounds familiar today I was trying to figure out if I should throw out the boxes my perfumes came in but put it right back from were it came dunno why should throw it out!

louche

Post Tue, Mar 03 2009, 12:26 pm
cassandra wrote:
As organizer Peter Walsh says, if something really means a lot to you it should be hanging on your wall. Otherwise it doesn't mean that much to you because you are not honoring it. It's a bit extreme but there is a lot of truth to it.

It's a box. Throw it out or sell it on ebay.

I'll second that. Though I don't sell stuff on ebay, I give it away to Goodwill. Fancy boxes I reuse to give gifts to others, or if they're big enough, to send Shalach Monos.

My pet peeve is those lovely "keepsake boxes" that you can't use for anything, like the ones they sell pens in, that are solid wood and have a groove in them for the pen. Unless you're giving someone a pen, the box is 100% useless.

louche

Post Tue, Mar 03 2009, 12:28 pm
Pinky wrote:
sounds familiar today I was trying to figure out if I should throw out the boxes my perfumes came in but put it right back from were it came dunno why should throw it out!

Therefore, mah fellow Amurricans, ask not "why should I throw it out?", ask "why should I keep it?" Unless you have a box collection on display or the box serves a purpose like holding a lot of small items in one place so they don't lie around all over the place, there's no point to it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics