Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Cholent in a crockpot

sped

Post Tue, Mar 03 2009, 3:20 pm
I just got a crockpot as a gift. How do I make cholent in one? Thanks

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Mar 03 2009, 4:00 pm
I have a Rival crockpot and cook the cholent completely before shabbos (it usually takes around 5-6 hours on low), and then I keep it on the warm setting during shabbos.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Mar 03 2009, 4:01 pm
I put it on high friday morning and after a few hours it goes on low until the shabbas seuda. Make sure you put silver foil instead of a blech sort of.

Fabulous

Post Tue, Mar 03 2009, 4:18 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
I have a Rival crockpot and cook the cholent completely before shabbos (it usually takes around 5-6 hours on low), and then I keep it on the warm setting during shabbos.

just beware of the warm setting. My rival warns not to leave it on warm more than a few hours. I usually cook it on high and turn it to low before the zman, making sure there is still plenty of water.

mamacita

Post Tue, Mar 03 2009, 10:11 pm
I do like flowerpower and fabulous. If shabbos comes in early I start the cholent first thing in the morning, otherwise I do it just a few hours before candlelighting time. We have had a few times where I've forgotten to turn it down to low, but we propped it up on lumps of foil to keep it from burning away.

I sometimes use a crockpot liner and it really makes the cleanup easy!

I've also used my crockpot for soup, chili, stew, chicken, & brisket for shabbos.

girliemom

Post Tue, Mar 03 2009, 10:19 pm
dh does it friday when he comes home from work and if isn't fully cooked by the z'man he covers the crock pot with silver foil. sometimes if it needs more fluid on shabbos I add it directly from my perculator.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 03 2009, 10:32 pm
I also put my Chulent to cook in the crockpot around 1:00pm. I keep it on LOW and it cooks that way until we're ready to eact it Shabbos day. If I need to put it up later on, I put in on HIGH for an hour or two, then switch it to LOW for the remainder.
(I have the crockpot that has the low, high and keep warm options.)
Need a recipe?

BZBEE

Post Tue, Mar 03 2009, 11:30 pm
I used to use the crock pot but stopped. I now keep it on the blech
My husband likes when the cholent bubbles throughout shabbos.
The crockpot automatically switches to warm after 9 hours of being on a high setting.
I put it up thursday night already, since my husband likes to have some Erev Shabbos too.
You can just put in the beans, meat, potatoes and spices, cover it with water and turn crock pot on. The earlier on in the day, the better-so it can cook through well!
Enjoy!

Barbara

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 10:47 am
Fabulous wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:

just beware of the warm setting. My rival warns not to leave it on warm more than a few hours. I usually cook it on high and turn it to low before the zman, making sure there is still plenty of water.

I don't think my Hamilton Beach says that. Yet another reason to hate the Rival crockpot (besides the fact that it burned every last thing I ever put in it)?

I soak the beans Thursday night, then throw everything in the crockpot on Low about 7:00 Friday morning. Just before Shabbat, I check the water level, then turn to warm. I haven't had any problems doing it this way.

Barbara

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 10:49 am
BZBEE wrote:
I used to use the crock pot but stopped. I now keep it on the blech
My husband likes when the cholent bubbles throughout shabbos.
The crockpot automatically switches to warm after 9 hours of being on a high setting.
I put it up thursday night already, since my husband likes to have some Erev Shabbos too.
You can just put in the beans, meat, potatoes and spices, cover it with water and turn crock pot on. The earlier on in the day, the better-so it can cook through well!
Enjoy!

What brand do you have? I'd like one that switches itself to Warm, but the one I bought also switches itself off after 12 hours. Now THAT was an unpleasant surprise on Shabbat! Not that I need another crockpot. I have a 4 quart Hamilton Beach, and a 1-1/2 quart Target brand, both manual.

BZBEE

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 10:14 pm
It's the RIVAL oval crockpot.
I'm not sure which model #, but can checkfor you if you'd like.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 11:22 pm
are you talking about the rival smartpot, or whatever it is? I stick to the one with the knob.

octopus

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 11:23 pm
I think I have a cheapo hamilton beach one. Before this one I had a westbend. In general, I put it on high, then when it bubbles switch it to low for shabbos.

BZBEE

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 11:33 pm
Just google Crock pot DHP4506 and click on the links. a pic will come up.
That's exactly what I have.

ArthurDent

Post Fri, Mar 06 2009, 10:20 am
I love love love my Hamilton Beach Stay-or-Go crockpot, costs about $40-45. Hamilton Beach doesn't have the hot spots that the Rival crockpots have which burn foods. Plus, it's reasonably priced. The Stay or Go version actually has a clamped seal on its lid so that you don't have as much evaporation as with a regular crockpot and your cholent doesn't dry out too much. That same innovation on the Kitchenaid crockpot costs about $150.

ValleyMom

Post Thu, Mar 12 2009, 7:32 pm
Why do you line it with foil?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus