Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Sleeping question

amother

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 8:41 pm
Does anyone know if newborns sense when they are sleeping alone or in the same room as their parents? I was thinking of putting dc in its room tonight and listen for cries on a monitor but I want dc to have the security of knowing I am close by and so maybe I shouldnt? I will go feed dc as soon as I hear cries btw.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 8:58 pm
OP, in one sense, yes newborns are somewhat aware and comforted by presence (physical contact, not sharing a bedroom) of a parent when sleeping.

OTOH, they sleep better when they learn to do it on their own. Also, its not like the baby has the emotions of being lonely or "abandoned" due to sleeping in his own room (if thats what you're worried about).

It's fine to try getting the baby used to sleeping by himself. Also, you don't have to run to the baby until you hear real crying for hunger. The baby may make a few little kvetches and fall back to sleep. Give him a chance to sleep a longer stretch and only wake fully when he needs the feeding. If he gets used to you coming every time he stirs or makes a noise, he'll wake more often just to see you and not necessarily out of hunger.

There's so much to learn with a newborn. There are lots of parenting styles and other women on this board will tell you differently than what I did. Anyway, I hope my 2 cents helps you.

sarahla

Post Tue, Mar 10 2009, 9:52 pm
I completely understand you. I had the same "issues" wth my new born. I was reluctant to put him in his own room and it was a mistake. I realized that when we would come in the room soon after he would wake up ( and we tried to be super quiet!!!) when I put him in his room he slept a lot better.
You might feel guilty at first and its normal. the only way your bb will feel secure is if you talk to him/her before putting him down ( they understand!!!). What I did with my bb was that I would bring him in during the day and tell him "thats your own rom bec you're a big boy" I started with naps during the day but then quickly moved to all the time. Tell your bb that "mommy and daddy are right next door and you're here for him/her so he shouldn't worry and have a good night"
The first few nights respond to him as soon as he cry so he know you're there...then space it out... also it is goo dfor them to learn hoe to sooth themself, im a big beleiver in "let cry theory" it was hard at first but my bb was barely sleeping at and night and even less during the day so I was a wreck!!!! I learned to bare the cry for a little ( only 5 min crying I would let, only if I knew he was ok not hungry and not dirty)
anyways best of luck Smile

chaplainswife

Post Fri, Mar 13 2009, 2:33 am
sarahla wrote:
I completely understand you. I had the same "issues" wth my new born. I was reluctant to put him in his own room and it was a mistake. I realized that when we would come in the room soon after he would wake up ( and we tried to be super quiet!!!) when I put him in his room he slept a lot better.
You might feel guilty at first and its normal. the only way your bb will feel secure is if you talk to him/her before putting him down ( they understand!!!). What I did with my bb was that I would bring him in during the day and tell him "thats your own rom bec you're a big boy" I started with naps during the day but then quickly moved to all the time. Tell your bb that "mommy and daddy are right next door and you're here for him/her so he shouldn't worry and have a good night"
The first few nights respond to him as soon as he cry so he know you're there...then space it out... also it is goo dfor them to learn hoe to sooth themself, im a big beleiver in "let cry theory" it was hard at first but my bb was barely sleeping at and night and even less during the day so I was a wreck!!!! I learned to bare the cry for a little ( only 5 min crying I would let, only if I knew he was ok not hungry and not dirty)
anyways best of luck Smile

At what age did you start the "cry it out method?" It sounds like you're talking about an older baby (relatively speaking).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics