Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Smoking on purim

e1234

Post Sun, Mar 08 2009, 8:39 am
does anyone understand what's behind smoking on purim? (when one doesn't smoke all year)
my 8 year old asked me if he can just smoke 1 cigarette. I could not believe he's only 8 - nowhere near a teenager... I said no way... then he told me he knows how to make cigarettes. 2 weeks ago I smelled fire in his room and found ashes and teabags on his bed - I did not know why - now he told me he knows you can make cigarettes from tea (wrapping it up) - I did not correct him - but what do you tell these little kids??
when they see everyone older then them doing it..

catonmylap

Post Sun, Mar 08 2009, 8:51 am
You explain that it is assur all year round.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Mar 08 2009, 9:05 am
You also need to explain to him what a serious fire hazard it is, especially since he's keeping it hidden from you.

e1234

Post Sun, Mar 08 2009, 9:14 am
of course I did - but do I trust him - definitely not - he's only 8 - He knows what I feel about smoking - I am very against it and I have many times said how unhealthy it is.
It bothers me that such an issue is an issue because they make things ok on purim that shouldn't be.

m0m

Post Sun, Mar 08 2009, 10:54 am
I hate to tell you this- however, he is not misinformed. there are those who make cig. out of teabags. doesnt have the nicotine but its ok for different types of people and is readily available. I'm afraid for my kids- I dont know how to fight it off- they are young still- I guess a bit younger and its not for me to actually worry about yet.... you havta speak to someone that knows- maybe a rav... I dont even know. sorry and good luck. hope your purim is happy anyways

Barbara

Post Sun, Mar 08 2009, 11:00 am
e1234 wrote:
does anyone understand what's behind smoking on purim? (when one doesn't smoke all year)
my 8 year old asked me if he can just smoke 1 cigarette. I could not believe he's only 8 - nowhere near a teenager... I said no way... then he told me he knows how to make cigarettes. 2 weeks ago I smelled fire in his room and found ashes and teabags on his bed - I did not know why - now he told me he knows you can make cigarettes from tea (wrapping it up) - I did not correct him - but what do you tell these little kids??
when they see everyone older then them doing it..

How about showing him photos of lungs of smokers? Go to youtube and show him those commericals they had of smokers and all of the horrible things that smoking does to them. Educate him as to its effects. I'm pretty sure that these things will disgust him; hopefully it will help.

I would also consider contacting the school and suggest that they include some education about the risks of smoking. He's learning this somewhere, and school is my guess.

Obviously your son has started experimenting at this age. You can't be with him 24/7, so you need him to understand the effect and impact.

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 08 2009, 12:12 pm
I once let my son hold a cigarette over his ear - went with his costume ... but under no circumstances was it allowed to be lit ...

not to mention his experiments might seem fun to him but are an extreme fire hazard ... so let him know fire is dangerous not a game ...

always have baking soda or fire extinguisher around just in case your pyromaniac can't help himself ... Twisted Evil

mommalah

Post Sun, Mar 08 2009, 12:22 pm
I'd let him try it. He'll be choking all over the place and thoroughly disgusted that he will likely never go near it again.

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 08 2009, 12:29 pm
mommalah wrote:
I'd let him try it. He'll be choking all over the place and thoroughly disgusted that he will likely never go near it again.

or he might become addicted and become a closet smoker till he's old enough Idea (I guess there are really only 2 choices Wink )

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Mar 08 2009, 12:31 pm
mommalah wrote:

So you'd say the same if she said her son wanted to get drunk too?

Sorry, I have certain rules in my house which apply not only 'under my roof' but 'for as long as you're in my care'... and no smoking is a cardinal rule. There is ABSOLUTELY no reason for an 8 year old to smoke.

MommyLuv

Post Sun, Mar 08 2009, 12:51 pm
You forbid it, that's it. What else can you do?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics