Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Sifting whole wheat flour?

Frum

Post Mon, Mar 09 2009, 7:47 am
Whenever I bake challah (or cookies, etc.) I obviously sift the flour. But now I would like to bake whole wheat challah. I just sifted the flour and found out that all the rye (or whatever the wheat is called) remains behind in the sieve and only the fine flour goes through. So I guess the whole wheat effect is gone.

How should one check whole wheat flour, without loosing the grains inside the mixture?

louche

Post Mon, Mar 09 2009, 8:19 am
You don't lose all the bran, only part of it. Try King Arthur flour, which is finer than Pillsbury or Gold Medal.Unfortunately also more expesnsive.

Cdlf

Post Mon, Mar 09 2009, 9:51 am
The Kosher sifter comes with a special attachment you can purchase especially for ww flour that has larger holes.

hadasa

Post Tue, Mar 10 2009, 5:26 pm
I was told to either a. Sift the flour and then check the bran by hand or b. Sift the whole package in a wide-holed sieve, and if I find anything problematic, to throw the whole package out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen