Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Ridiculous things you believed as a child!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

jewgal84

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 8:02 pm
That a boy grows up to be a woman and a girl grows up to be a man..

Don't ask, I dunno where that came from!

Scratching Head

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 8:09 pm
Squash wrote:
Mrs.Norris wrote:

if someone sneezes and no one says bless you part of their soul comes out. To this day I automatically say bless you whenever I hear anyone sneeze.

IIRC Yaakov Avinu asked Hashem to make pple be sick b4 they die so it wouldn't be so sudden. Until then, pple would sneeze and then die. That's why we say "bless you" or "tzim gezint". Maybe this myth comes from there. dunno. What

I heard it may come from plague times when sneezing was C'V the first sign...

Shif

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 9:54 pm
With regards to the healthiest part of veggies/fruits (food in general, I.e. skin of apple) that "it's the best part" meaning healthiest...so my mom once referred to the crust/heel of bread as "the best part" of the bread....up until very recently (in my late 20s) I always assumed that meant that all the nutrients went to the crust!

amother

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 10:00 pm
My mom wanted me to stop biting my nails, so she told me that when Moshiach comes, I will have to run around and find all the nails that I dropped. So sometimes I would actually keep count of where I bit my nails, so I would have fewer problems. Whew!!

greentiger

Post Sat, Sep 29 2007, 1:54 pm
That the baby is attached to the mother's belly button through the umbilical cord.

grin

Post Sat, Sep 29 2007, 2:51 pm
sarahd wrote:
Well, my parents always scared me into coming home on time for havdala by telling me that if I missed it, I wouldn't be able to eat till Tuesday. Very effective. Very Happy

there's a halacha that you may make havdala until Tues. (about eating beforehand, I don't know - never needed to ask!)

freidasima

Post Fri, Dec 28 2007, 7:36 am
I heard that traditional but not frum people told their children that if they went swimming on Tisha Beav they will drown. That kept them out of the water that day.

shanie5

Post Fri, Dec 28 2007, 1:38 pm
that there was a spanking machine on the roof of the school, and if we misbeahved, the principal would bring us up to it, put in a quarter, and..................

louche

Post Fri, Dec 28 2007, 2:20 pm
If you wore a ring on the third finger of your left hand, you'd never get married.

Lilkingdom

Post Fri, Dec 28 2007, 2:41 pm
when I was about 4 years old, my kindergarten teacher was pregnant. one of the classmate's older sister told us that the teacher accidently swallowed an umbrella and it opened in her belly!!!!!!! can't believe I actually fell for it! lol

pinkbubbles

Post Sat, Dec 29 2007, 1:35 pm
my sister told me if I ate cucumbers pickles would grow out of my ears-I could swear I felt them growing

I held that candle as high as I could and my husband is the SAME height as me

louche

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 7:17 pm
If you swallowed gum it would grow out in your hair.
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics