Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Shabbos menu for just me and my husband

bceaya

Post Thu, Mar 09 2006, 2:11 pm
Whenever I am making Shabbos for just me and my husband and no company, I never know what to make. I always make too much food, and I wanted to know what other people do. Can someone give me a sample menu of what they make when they are just cooking for 2? Do you make a cholent, cause then there is always leftovers!

tport

Post Thu, Mar 09 2006, 2:18 pm
You can make a cholent for 2- just make it small pot, using 2 potatoes. I actually like leftovers so I make it bigger.

nicole81

Post Thu, Mar 09 2006, 2:20 pm
If I knew it would just be me and my husband, I would make one chicken (whole or quartered) with potatoes, veggies, and a half a roll of gefilte fish. more than enough to fill us up and even enough for sunday night leftover dinner.

for lunch, only the occasional cholent. usually we just have dips and salad, but as shabbos ends later we have cold cuts too.

momomom

Post Thu, Mar 09 2006, 2:36 pm
For friday night we have one salad, a dp and gefilte fish. (I make a whole roll b/c DH loves it). Chicken with potatoes, sw. potatoes, onions under it - delicious and a kugel. For shabbos day, same first course and shnitzel.

chen

Post Thu, Mar 09 2006, 2:37 pm
Why not cook as usual and freeze what you're not going to use that shabbos? Baking your kugel in several small pans instead of one big one makes it easy to do this. If you freeze soup and chicken--even cholent-- in small portions, you can take out just what you need as you need it.

Or, you can go for the romantic-dinner-for-2 and indulge in expensive delicacies: salmon steak instead of gefilte, duck instead of chicken, fresh raspberries instead of canned fruit...

bceaya

Post Thu, Mar 09 2006, 2:40 pm
Thanks for the idea, but I just don't want to have so many kugels in my freezer right before Pesach. I already have to get rid of stuff that's already in there. But maybe I'll start doing that afterwards.

bceaya

Post Thu, Mar 09 2006, 2:43 pm
momomom- you put potatoes and swt. potatoes and onions under the chicken? What spices do you put on the chicken?[/b]

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 09 2006, 3:02 pm
We don't eat so much when it's just the two of us; I skip the soup and the cholent and even the dessert.

Challah, drinks, fish with garnish or a salad and dip is plenty, chicken and kugel or a noodle salad make it a full meal.

During the day we eat the fish course in shul, so I just serve the salad and kugel from Friday night, PLUS either: deli roll OR shnitzel OR cholent. I rotate them so we don't get tired of anything.

happymom

Post Thu, Mar 09 2006, 3:10 pm
for friday night just me and dh I make:

one fresh salad
fish
babagnush
soup
chicken
and sometimes a side dish like a small kugel, or rice, or greenbeans...

and shabbos day:
one fresh salad
fish
babagnush
and chollent

Frumom

Post Thu, Mar 09 2006, 4:49 pm
When its just myself and my husband for Fri. night we usually have meat lasagna, spicy potatoes, salads, dips, challah. Or instead of lasagna we'll have chicken and potatoes. Dessert- nothing fancy.

bonzie

Post Sun, Mar 12 2006, 8:43 am
When it's just me and my husband, I make challah, salmon (its cheaper than a whole loaf of gefilte fish) chicken salad, steak, potatoe kugel, yerushalmi kugel, shnitzel and a nice dessert - to satisfy my sweet tooth, then shabbas day I do the same but instead of the steak we have cholent, and I find that to generally be enough for both of us, except im always nervous right b4 shabbas that there's not enough food.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 12 2006, 8:59 am
Bonzie, you can cut a lof of fish into halves or even thirds (let it defrost a little first) and cook it that way.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Mar 20 2006, 1:13 pm
its usually just me and my husband, being just married, so we usually have chicken, challah and sometimes soup and sometimes a carb on friday night. shabbat day its just shnitzel, challah, carrot/ pinapple salad or another salad. sometimes dessert. I have noticed that when it is only the two of us dessert is eaten and finished Confused and that is not so good so I stopped making dessert
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus